Anyone know of a GOOD set of hub extensions?

My main truck is a Slash 4x4 monster Truck conversion. My goal has always been to create something close to an 1/8th scale monster truck while sticking with the 1/10th scale Slash/Stampede 4x4 platform.

Using the slash 4x4 chassis is nice because it's longer than the Stampede 4x4, but the width of the truck was still the same as a Stampede 4x4. Combined with a high center of gravity, It tipped over to the side far too easy during turns.

So I got a set of hub extensions as an experiment. I got these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/113738812130

The results in terms of vehicle stability have been fantastic. Now my truck is not only longer than a Stampede 4x4, but also wider.

My problem now is that these hub extensions are pretty cheap / low quality. The first issue I had was the wheels unscrewing themselves, because the nuts are not lock-nuts. I fixed that using threadlocker. The next issue is that they are stripping out some of my wheels.

Prior to using the hub extensions, I stopped having issues stripping my wheels the moment I upgraded to aluminum hexes. Part of the problem, I think, is that the corners of the hexes on the hub extensions are tapered (why anyone would create a hex with tapered corners is a mystery to me). But really, these hub extensions are just low quality in teneral.

Now that I've got a taste of what the wide wheelbase can do for me, i'm not in a hurry to go back, but I can't afford to keep stripping out my wheels. I think the solution is probably to get some higher-quality hub extensions. Does anyone know of any?

This is what i'm dealing with on the rear wheels when using the cheap hub extensions that I bought:

Anyone know of a GOOD set of hub extensions?

Quote Originally Posted by GotNoRice View Post
    This is what i'm dealing with on the rear wheels when using the cheap hub extensions that I bought:

Pretty sure proline makes wheels that have a bolt on 12mm aluminum hex center section...

Here it is: https://www.prolineracing.com/perfor...pters-wide.asp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RC Dad; 06-20-2020 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RC Dad View Post
    Pretty sure proline makes wheels that have a bolt on 12mm aluminum hex center section...

Here it is: https://www.prolineracing.com/perfor...pters-wide.asp
    Interesting option. It may come down to something like that in the end if I can't come up with anything else.

The thing that I don't like about those is that I would have to basically start from scratch when it comes to my wheels/tires. Right now I have over a dozen various pairs of wheels that are currently 100% interchangable between my Stampede 4x4 and my Slash 4x4 Monster Truck. If I went the proline route, i'd have to have completely different wheels for each vehicle. I wouldn't be able to use any of my existing wheels anymore, and they would no longer be interchangeable between my trucks.

A big part of the reason I like having a Slash 4x4 MT and a Stampede 4x4 as my two main trucks is because just about every part, including the tires, is interchangeable. With standard hub extentions, this is a non-issue.

RC Champion
    Those rims look pretty stripped out and not sure if it would help at this point, but if you put a chunk of saran wrap over the stub and filled the stripped part with JBweld and mounted the tire and let it set and then cleand them up a bit you might get some more life out of the rims.

I run the 20mm hub extensions on our BL Stampede and have never had this issue.

I would try using a set of extensions that had a separate way of tightening to the wheel. The adapter can be tightly fastened to the wheel and would help prevent stripped hexes. Then there is a separate bolt that attaches it to the axle.

Here is an example of what I am talking about. https://www.ebay.com/itm/4PCS-12mm-t....c100005.m1851