Thread: Pay Attention!

RC Competitor

Pay Attention!

Where I live in CA the hobby shops are finally opening.
    I have a brand new slash 4x4 ultimate and money just burning a hole in my pocket to upgrade this model even further.
    I wait my turn in the hobby shop, while these two guys help a client figure out what transmitter to buy.
    My turn comes and I tell the guy, I want to upgrade my steering on my splash 4x4. I asked him for an upgraded bellcrank setup. He asks me what color and takes the blue package off the wall for me.
    He did not hand me the package. I had him grab me some body clips and some wheel nuts and I was ready to check out.
    I paid my tab took my parts and ran home to play with my new goodies.

I get home and I rip the bellcrank package open.. admiring the nice machine work.

I get the front of my slash 4x4 ripped off so I can get at the steering and what the ....
    I take one good look at the setup on the car and then look at the one I just bought.. the horn is turned the wrong way... wait the link is riding to high and will hit my pumpkin.
    I dig the card backer from the bellcrank package out of the trash like a bum looking for a meal.

Darnit! This is a rustler / bandit 2wd setup!

So, look at the labels close...just because the guy at the hobby store says it's right doesn't make it so.

Now I have to buy a 2wd

You can always return the parts for the correct ones. Talk to the owner, and explain Stephanie other person gave you all the wrong parts. I'm sure it won't be any problem exchanging them for the correct ones.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Competitor
    I usually trash packaging. I am pretty sure I can use this on another model.
    I plan to make a 2wd drag car and I'm pretty sure I can fit this on it.
    I went back and told them it was a sneaky strategy to get me to buy another car.

Then I bought another car... I think my next car will be a 2wd slash and this 3743A should fit right on it. They have the base model I want in stock and a LCG chassis.

I guess you got what you wanted after all...
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Competitor
    Maybe so now that I think of it... it's a little like buying the wrong ammo....

Maybe you went in the hobby shop with a glympse of your future endeavor
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

Traxxas Marshal
    "Pay attention" ... "but really don't so you have an excuse to buy another R/C. Got it!
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Competitor
    I was this close *pinches his fingers together* to buying that base 2wd this weekend.
    206 after taxes and I started thinking about what I get..
    I need a new slash body -check
    I need slash tires and wheels for my 4wd - check
    I need a bigger motor ets for my Mini T 2.0 - check
    I need a car to use my steering rack on - check..

The car is in stock and the same price I would pay from Traxxas.... pesky covid kept me from going to the store.

I like hobby shops, but I always get the best results when researching exactly what to buy online, and then going into the hobby shop and requesting specific parts, rather than asking the guy behind the counter for advice.

At least with the hobby shop near me, they really try to push stuff on you. The last time, I went in with a friend who needed replacement shocks. I was looking at tires while my friend was at the counter. By the time I got over there, the guy behind the counter had already pushed him to buy a bunch of extra washers, screws, and springs that he didn't need. Thankfully I got there just in time.

It's nice to think that they are trying to help you, but in most cases, you are better off treating it like going to a used car dealership.

RC Competitor
    LOL I totally get that!

When I went back to the shop they actually showed me parts I want.
    I am looking for a set of higher speed street tires.
    All the ones I think are the right size etc take 17mm hexes.
    The guy at the shop showed me what looks like a great set from another manufacturer and the Traxxas adapters but I was so gun shy about taking counter advice I left them both there. Now I'm kicking myself... Oh well I need some grease and bearing anyway...

What tires do you think you want, and what tires did they say you want?

RC Competitor
    Like the tires and wheels on a limitless.

Quote Originally Posted by GotNoRice View Post
    I like hobby shops, but I always get the best results when researching exactly what to buy online, and then going into the hobby shop and requesting specific parts, rather than asking the guy behind the counter for advice.
    I know exactly what you mean. One of the things Eric (owner of my closest LHS) always appreciates about me is that, whenever I need a specific part, I'm always able to provide the exact part number, which would be because I always check it ahead of time.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

Quote Originally Posted by gunnuts View Post
    Like the tires and wheels on a limitless.
    Nice!

Steeeve is running the 5 spoke wheel version with the Hoons on his Rally body:

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...a-4x4-Ultimate

Have frun!

RC Competitor
    Thats the look I'm looking for! I really think I need another 4x4 now... one to drift and thrash on in the dirt and one to rip on the pavement.

Quote Originally Posted by gunnuts View Post
    Where I live in CA the hobby shops are finally opening.
    I have a brand new slash 4x4 ultimate and money just burning a hole in my pocket to upgrade this model even further.
    I wait my turn in the hobby shop, while these two guys help a client figure out what transmitter to buy.
    My turn comes and I tell the guy, I want to upgrade my steering on my splash 4x4. I asked him for an upgraded bellcrank setup. He asks me what color and takes the blue package off the wall for me.
    He did not hand me the package. I had him grab me some body clips and some wheel nuts and I was ready to check out.
    I paid my tab took my parts and ran home to play with my new goodies.

I get home and I rip the bellcrank package open.. admiring the nice machine work.

I get the front of my slash 4x4 ripped off so I can get at the steering and what the ....
    I take one good look at the setup on the car and then look at the one I just bought.. the horn is turned the wrong way... wait the link is riding to high and will hit my pumpkin.
    I dig the card backer from the bellcrank package out of the trash like a bum looking for a meal.

Darnit! This is a rustler / bandit 2wd setup!

So, look at the labels close...just because the guy at the hobby store says it's right doesn't make it so.

Now I have to buy a 2wd
    I like it, a new reason to upgrade an RC; my thing was going to the LHS, and buying everything but what I went for in the first place
    We all have very different likes and dislikes, to be honest, I like my 2wd's more than the 4wds.

I haven't had much time for Rc lately, in fact, this is my first forum post in a long time. (Thanks to El Sob, The Man, The Slash ledgend)
    I haven't even burnt a cell this summer.
    That said, last year, out of two 2wd and two 4wd slash rigs, my 2wd FLM and build was always my go-to rig.

This doesn't mean I don't get plenty of enjoyment out of the 4wd's; just seems the 2wd's put a bigger smile on my face.

Best of luck with that new 2wd.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 07-03-2020 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    I like it, a new reason to upgrade an RC; my thing was going to the LHS, and buying everything but what I went for in the first place
    We all have very different likes and dislikes, to be honest, I like my 2wd's more than the 4wds.

I haven't had much time for Rc lately, in fact, this is my first forum post in a long time. (Thanks to El Sob, The Man, The Slash ledgend)
    I haven't even burnt a cell this summer.
    That said, last year, out of two 2wd and two 4wd slash rigs, my 2wd FLM and build was always my go-to rig.

This doesn't mean I don't get plenty of enjoyment out of the 4wd's; just seems the 2wd's put a bigger smile on my face.

Best of luck with that new 2wd.
    Thank you, my friend! Trust me, my Ultimate edition trucks don't get dust on their tires
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Competitor
    I made it back to my local HS. Sure enough, they were out of 2wd trucks. Some kid had the last Ultimate 4x4 in his arms like a baby at the register.
    I am super tempted to just build a new car from an LCG chassis. Some how some way,,, I will use this bellcrank!