Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    77

    How to properly care for lipo

    Can you all explain how to charge and care for these batteries? I bought (2) 3c batteries (traxxas) and after 24 hours they were dead. One was 6v and the other 9v (total). When I got them, I balanced them. Ran the car. Balanced. Ran the car. Balanced. They sat about 12 hours and I ran them. I plugged them in and they didn't charge. When I came back 3 hours later I restarted the balance and the car ran its last time. After that the batteries wouldn't take a charge. I checked with meter and well... they're toast. So...

    What do you first do when you take them out of their box?

    What do you do after you run them low in the vehicle? Do you charge them again and run them again? Can you do this 9 times in a row if you wish (same set).

    When you're done for the day, do you balance or do a storage charge? What if you plan to use them within 12 hours?

    When you're ready to use the next day you rebalance and use, correct? I'll be using a traxxas dual ID charger.

  2. #2
    Marshal Double G's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,970
    When you are done best to use storage. Many have reported no issues fully charging and using them less than a day later.

    What you should make sure is that your ESC is set to lipo mode when running lipo batteries. If not then you are running the batteries too low and will get permanently and prematurely damaged and continue to have the issue. Then when you have a decrease in power - stop! Do not run it any further.
    The Super Derecho

  3. #3
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    77
    I have an re-revo v2. I think it's automatically detecting lipo, correct?

  4. #4
    RC Champion grizzly03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Posts
    1,482
    The ESC doesn't automatically switch between having LiPo voltage protection or not having LiPo protection based on what type of battery is plugged in. You need to confirm which mode for yourself. When the ESC is turned on what color is the led on it? A solid green means Low Voltage protection is on and a solid red light means the protection is off.

  5. #5
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    The ESC doesn't automatically switch between having LiPo voltage protection or not having LiPo protection based on what type of battery is plugged in. You need to confirm which mode for yourself. When the ESC is turned on what color is the led on it? A solid green means Low Voltage protection is on and a solid red light means the protection is off.
    Crap! When I put it in training mode, I let it blink the 3 times and it stayed solid red. I don't know if it ever turned green again as I put the body on. Did I put it in training mode wrong? What happens when the battery gets too low during normal ESC operation?

  6. #6
    RC Champion grizzly03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Posts
    1,482
    Quote Originally Posted by Live2Fish88 View Post
    Crap! When I put it in training mode, I let it blink the 3 times and it stayed solid red. I don't know if it ever turned green again as I put the body on. Did I put it in training mode wrong? What happens when the battery gets too low during normal ESC operation?
    To change driving modes (sport/racing/training) you would hold the EZ button from the ESC off state to change modes.
    To change Voltage detection modes you would hold the EZ button after the ESC is already on.

    If a LiPo battery cell voltage goes too low it could cause permanent damage as Double G said.



    If you let go of the EZ button and pushed it back down because you missed the mode you wanted you went from changing the driving mode to changing the protection mode.
    Last edited by grizzly03; 06-23-2020 at 07:40 PM. Reason: possible reason

  7. #7
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    77
    Thank you for that. What I've been doing is having it off and changing modes from the off state. But it blinks the red light 3 times and then stays solid red. Am I supposed to do anything after that? I just bought the link accessory so I should be able to switch to driving mode with that without having to press anything, right?
    Last edited by Double G; 06-29-2020 at 09:01 PM. Reason: dangerous recommendation

  8. #8
    RC Champion grizzly03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Posts
    1,482
    Quote Originally Posted by Live2Fish88 View Post
    What I've been doing is having it off and changing modes from the off state. But it blinks the red light 3 times and then stays solid red. Am I supposed to do anything after that? I just bought the link accessory so I should be able to switch to driving mode with that without having to press anything, right?
    1.Yes (still need to change voltage protection (red light to green light from the on state))
    2.Yes (I find it easier to use than buttons).

    What I would do is change the voltage protection on the ESC itself. Then once that is set right (Green light) then turn on the Traxxas link and adjust the training mode. It might be easier for you to use the Traxxas Link. I think it can be set for a percentage you choose. Not quite sure, I haven't used training mode through the App yet. After your done setting it up in the app and your ready to run it. Check again to make sure the ESC light is still green.
    A quick way I remember that the ESC is set for LiPo: Green means go, Red means stop. LoL.

  9. #9
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    77
    Yup. I think my issue may have been the "stop" light... what happens when the battery is drained low on a green light? Does it make an audible noise?

  10. #10
    RC Champion grizzly03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Posts
    1,482
    1st stage:The vehicle's power is cut to 50%. 2nd stage:The vehicle stops moving altogether.
    I stop and recharge when it enters first stage.

  11. #11
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    77
    Batteries will be here tomorrow. Thank God.

  12. #12
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    77
    Ok, so I got them today. I put then in storage mode out of the box and put them away until tomorrow. Good, right?

  13. #13
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    25
    I never put my batteries in storage unless I want to store them... I also never drain my cells beyond 3.7 volts at rest. NEVER NEVER
    This is a habbit I got from flying freestyle quads.
    I went out of my way to get battery telemetry to keep an eye on these expensive batteries.
    I often have a battery charged for a day or 2 before I can use it. Anything longer and I will just run a discharge on my charger.
    My batteries last a long time.

  14. #14
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    77
    See... everybody does and recommends different things. Hard to decipher what's the "proper" way to do things

  15. #15
    Marshal Double G's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,970
    Quote Originally Posted by Live2Fish88 View Post
    See... everybody does and recommends different things. Hard to decipher what's the "proper" way to do things
    Take the time to read posts made by Jakey. He used to be the owner of SPC batteries (oft recommended lipos by many people here) before he closed shop and went another direction with his business.
    The Super Derecho

  16. #16
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    12
    Quick question on my 5800mAh 7.4v 2-Cell 25C LiPo Battery. I only ran it twice . then I put it in the storage setting via the Traxxas ez charger. what is the proper way to re charge it so I don't ruin it?? do I just hook it back up and charger it? should I balance or quick charge it??

    Thanks guys

  17. #17
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTrucker View Post
    Quick question on my 5800mAh 7.4v 2-Cell 25C LiPo Battery. I only ran it twice . then I put it in the storage setting via the Traxxas ez charger. what is the proper way to re charge it so I don't ruin it?? do I just hook it back up and charger it? should I balance or quick charge it??

    Thanks guys
    Balance them

  18. #18
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Live2Fish88 View Post
    Balance them
    Thanks for the answer !

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •