Thread: Turning Circle

RC poster

Turning Circle

Hi all, can anyone explain why the Spartan has the turning circle of a cruise ship at slow speeds? Itís so easy to get into a predicament when you canít turn around and face the other way!

Iím assuming itís to do with how the hull sits in the water when not at speed but Iím only guessing.

Cheers,

Will

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because it's in water, and water can absorb (move) more when force is applied slowly to it. When force is quickly applied to water, it has less time to react (move), and therefore it can offer more resistance for propelling a boat away from its' original position.

You can make your boat turn sharper (even at slow speeds) by fully turning your rudder, and blipping your throttle repeatedly. This technique, provides the quick force necessary to overcome the energy absorbing fluidity of water, but doesn't allow your boat (in this case a Spartan) the time it needs to pickup speed which will intern keep your boat from accelerating out of control.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 06-27-2020 at 04:17 AM.
    Life's to short to be a sour puss.

RC poster
    Thanks for the reply. Makes a lot of sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster

Rudder adjust

[QUOTE=spartan_will;6544290]Thanks for the reply. Makes a lot of sense.

You can also tighten the turning radius by adjusting the rudder link attachment points.
    There are two positions at the both the servo and the rudder lever attachments.
    These are usually set at the "slow" positions when delivered to give people who are not experienced at fast boats more control. If you move the attachment (just loosen the bolt and move) to the outboard or LONG position at the servo inside the boat, and the inboard or SHORT position at the rudder, the boat will turn more sharply. This will help at low speeds, but will also make it less stable at speed so you'll need to be smoother.

Good luck! Spartans are great boats (yes, expensive) but I've had mine for years and it's been a lot of fun.

Todd