RC poster

question about on/off switch for TRX-4 Traxx model lighting

Hi there, new to the forum, first post.

We have recently gotten into the RC world and acquired some TRX-4 models. SO fun!

The Traxx model has the headlights/tail lights and light bar on it, with a 4 in 2 connector on the body. This has a jumper installed to make the lights "high beam". If you remove the jumper, it makes the lights "low beam" (slightly dimmer). I also installed rock lights on the chassis.

I bought an 8037 hi lo dimmer switch, originally intending to install on the body, as intended by Traxxas, to use on the body lights. It gets installed in place of the jumper on the 4 in 2 connector, and has a switch which allows to switch between high beam and low beam.

Being that we have rock lights on the chassis too, I decided to try to install the 8037 switch on the 8028 power supply (that powers the lights) that is installed on the chassis. I discovered that when you plug it in to an open outlet on the 8028 power supply, it becomes an on-off switch for ALL the lights installed on the vehicle (rock lights on the chassis, AND all all of the body lights). I think this is way more useful, and wonder if there is any reason I should not use it this way.

I chatted Traxxas and of course they will just tell you that they can only recommend my using the 8037 switch as originally intended, as a hi/lo switch on the body.

So I wonder if anybody else has discovered or done this, and if it is okay, or if using it as on on/off switch on the chassis can damage anything or cause any problems.

Thanks in advance!

~Jason

RC poster
    Sweet find! It sounds like you are saying the hi/lo switch becomes an on/off switch when plugged in where the lights go? I'm going to check that out. I got a hi/lo switch, but it really isn't that much a difference, so I took it off and put it up somewhere.

RC poster
    YES! It was an inadvertent discovery when I was trying to see if using the hi/lo switch on the main power supply on the chassis, as opposed to the distribution block on the body, would dim ALL the lights, including those mounted directly on the chassis - like the rock lights and/or bumper bar.