Thread: JST Y plug.

JST Y plug.

Is splitting a single JST that is connected directly to the power source with a y plug and powering 2 medium power applications too much amp draw?
    Jumping: maneuver and pray it won't break.

RC Enthusiast
    No, I have a "tree" of Y plugs in my Defender: from the battery to the Traxxas light module, to a separate 4 LED bumper light circuit, to my winch, to my ESS Dual sound module. Sound and lights are always on together at night without any problems.
    Reinhard

Yup, nope. The Y-harness with increase resistance slightly, but the harness itself will not really do anything. Its the electronics you have attached to it.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Quote Originally Posted by DerAlteFritz View Post
    No, I have a "tree" of Y plugs in my Defender: from the battery to the Traxxas light module, to a separate 4 LED bumper light circuit, to my winch, to my ESS Dual sound module. Sound and lights are always on together at night without any problems.
    Do the lights get dimmer than usual? Or do they stay pretty much the same?
    Jumping: maneuver and pray it won't break.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by TITANIUM94010 View Post
    I have the Traxxas light kit (sans rock-lights) and an ESS1 on my Defender, my wife has the same lights but with the roof lamp bar and ESS1. We didn't notice any difference in lighting. I'd wondered if the lights would dim a little when the ESS kicked in, but no variation at all.
    Stephen
    An Englishman in France
    Vallee du Loir.

RC poster
    I have Traxxas light kit on a Sport body. Wondering if I could run a winch off a Y plug?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by TITANIUM94010 View Post
    I have never noticed any change in brightness when starting the sound or using the winch. The Traxxas power module regulates the light circuit down to 3 volts and even a 2s lipo should always at least supply >6 volts.
    Reinhard

RC Competitor
    When you say “from the battery” do you mean you have an adapter with a jst wired into it, or are you using the plug that runs down by the esc. I heard that the plug by the esc runs straight to the battery, but don’t know for sure.
    I’m wanting to run lights, a winch, and 2 fans, so I need to know if I should run all off of that from a free channel on my receiver or off of the jst by the esc.
    Last edited by Millsie; 07-03-2020 at 09:07 AM.

RC Competitor
    Also, Iím running 3s kilo, so do I need a regulator for the lights, or can they handle 3s?

RC Enthusiast
    I changed to a Hobbywing 1080 ESC and no longer have the JST plug you mention. When I changed the ESC I soldered 2 wires and a JST plug to the ESC connector that goes to the battery.
    If you use the Traxxas light kit with the power-supply you should be ok running a 3S LIPo. The power-supply is rated for 3S. You will have to check the manufacturers' specs if you use another brand of lights and also the fans.
    Reinhard

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAlteFritz View Post
    I changed to a Hobbywing 1080 ESC and no longer have the JST plug you mention. When I changed the ESC I soldered 2 wires and a JST plug to the ESC connector that goes to the battery.
    If you use the Traxxas light kit with the power-supply you should be ok running a 3S LIPo. The power-supply is rated for 3S. You will have to check the manufacturers' specs if you use another brand of lights and also the fans.
    Okay thanks. Did you see that you responded to me in the other thread too? I thought I was posting a new thread with questions but I was replying. Oh well. I started a new thread on this journey to find a good motor+esc or to try to use the stock ones.