Thread: Maxx fans.

RC Competitor

Maxx fans.

Hey all, Im getting tired of always breaking my fan blades every time I jump my truck. I have geared my spur down from the stock 24 to a 20t with this lower gearing should I even worry about putting fans in the esc and motor or just run it without them?? I have the telemetry for it and never see high temps even after the fans smash and die. ( I usually only run it for a few minutes after they break to get some last jumps in)

RC Champion
    Probably best to keep working fans on the electronics
    I use 70 micron screen gooped to the fan cover
    Never broken a fan

Just thrash em
    fabricator

RC poster
    Hard to say if it will keep cool enough without directly monitoring temps.

I purchased a couple cheap 35mmx35mmx10mm fans on ebay as a backup for when mine break.

RC poster
    Well I guess you get what you pay for. Just received those fans from ebay. They fit fine, but push about 1/2 the amount of air as the stock fans. I don't think ill risk using them.

RC poster
    I received today my Maxx and wanted to mod the Fancase of ESC and Motor. After removing the Fan's i saw that Traxxas has "modified" the Fancase so that the Fan does not hit the Housing on hard Landings.

They inserted a small Peace of Foam to keep the distance between the Fan and the Housing.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dosman View Post
    I received today my Maxx and wanted to mod the Fancase of ESC and Motor. After removing the Fan's i saw that Traxxas has "modified" the Fancase so that the Fan does not hit the Housing on hard Landings.

They inserted a small Peace of Foam to keep the distance between the Fan and the Housing.

Very interesting to hear that. I ended up using an aftermarket 30mm fan as replacement

RC poster
    I ended up using a 30x30 replacement too. Actually measures 35x35. Blows harder than the stock fan and was cheaper. Not sure how it will hold up, seems pretty sturdy.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/193446270679

Its a little thicker than the stock fan but still works fine in both the ESC and motor shroud. The only exception is if you have an early version of the motor shroud that doesn't have the 4 screws that hold it on.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by BashedNotBeat View Post
    Hey all, I’m getting tired of always breaking my fan blades every time I jump my truck. I have geared my spur down from the stock 24 to a 20t with this lower gearing should I even worry about putting fans in the esc and motor or just run it without them?? I have the telemetry for it and never see high temps even after the fans smash and die. ( I usually only run it for a few minutes after they break to get some last jumps in)
    Going down in spur gear size is actually higher gearing; gearing it more for top speed and losing some torque in the mix. To gear down, you would go down in pinion gear size and/or up in spur gear size and/or down in tire diameter.
    -Jeremy
    TRX-4|BL Summit|St4mpede|Aton|Maxx|Slash