Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

6S Stock poor initial impressions

Hi all, first post here in the xmaxx forum

Just got the 8s version and took mine out for the first run on 6s batts and i cant say i was too impressed. Granted my expectations may have been unrealistic coming from a erevo brushless, but can i ask you vets if any of this is as designed with a stock xmaxx running on two 3s batts.

1. No wheelies. Either on grass or pavement.
    2. Similarly, i dont feel any sense of power like i do in the youtube vids. the thing gradually accelerates off the line, no ballooning of any tires.
    3. Self righting doesnt work. On any surface. almost as if it doesnt have the inertia to come close to flipping.
    4. Its really slow. I understand its a bigger, heavier truck, but I put these same 3s batts in my erevo and the speed is uncontrollably, indescribably fast. In this truck it moves like a tyco car from the 90s.

Did anyone remember experiencing this feeling on their first run? Would 4S batts change my mind completely? Or do i just need to manage my expectations?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by varunaX View Post
    Hi all, first post here in the xmaxx forum

Just got the 8s version and took mine out for the first run on 6s batts and i cant say i was too impressed. Granted my expectations may have been unrealistic coming from a erevo brushless, but can i ask you vets if any of this is as designed with a stock xmaxx running on two 3s batts.

2. Similarly, i dont feel any sense of power like i do in the youtube vids. the thing gradually accelerates off the line, no ballooning of any tires.
    3. Self righting doesnt work. On any surface. almost as if it doesnt have the inertia to come close to flipping.
    4. Its really slow. I understand its a bigger, heavier truck, but I put these same 3s batts in my erevo and the speed is uncontrollably, indescribably fast. In this truck it moves like a tyco car from the 90s.

Did anyone remember experiencing this feeling on their first run? Would 4S batts change my mind completely? Or do i just need to manage my expectations?
    Hi mate, congrats for your Monster X-Maxx, probably you stay in "training mode" (50% of the power output) for ESC, in the owners manual is the tip for change to "race mode" (forward and brakes at 100%), or "sport mode" (forward, reverse and brakes at 100%), of course, the power output isn't the same in 6S, 8S is more powerfull.

The manual, pages 18 and 19.

https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...-OM-EN-R04.pdf

RC Qualifier
    I bought an 8S when they were brand new and have always run 6S.

Install the smallest I am running 21/50 on gearing.

Mine has always taken off good and balloons the tires.

There is a training mode. Check the manual and make sure itís out of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Champion
    Ours is the 8s version and we've always run on 6s, it still wheelies until you let go of the throttle on any surface 1 1/2 yrs later.
    Check your settings as Juanmacine stated, somethings not right.

RC Qualifier
    thanks man, appreciated. i am indeed in sport mode. i thought that too.

after writing that i went to check some youtube vids and this one is exactly what i am experiencing at full throttle. to those with 6s, is that the top speed you are experiencing too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbzkxjsObnw

RC Champion
    thanks man, appreciated. i am indeed in sport mode. i thought that too.

after writing that i went to check some youtube vids and this one is exactly what i am experiencing at full throttle. to those with 6s, is that the top speed you are experiencing too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbzkxjsObnw
    Well, this is the full speed at 6S, the video shows it, but if you want more speed, took out the 54T spur gear and use the 46T what is included in the stock stuff, for install it, took out the pin system and use manual mesh adjust.

RC Qualifier
    thanks. and yeah if you (or rain dawg or others) can corroborate their 6s speed with what they see in that video, then guess that sadly answers my question.

i understand the point of the hobby is to customize gearing and batts to achieve your fav speed, but I guess im little surprised there arnt more threads about the poor stock 6s performance.

im still browsing the forum but its seems almost universal that people say avoid using the 46 spur that comes in the box, no?

RC Champion
    thanks. and yeah if you (or rain dawg or others) can corroborate their 6s speed with what they see in that video, then guess that sadly answers my question.

i understand the point of the hobby is to customize gearing and batts to achieve your fav speed, but I guess im little surprised there arnt more threads about the poor stock 6s performance.

im still browsing the forum but its seems almost universal that people say avoid using the 46 spur that comes in the box, no?
    A lot of users play with the 46T spur, but without the pin system adjust, you must adjust the mesh manually for it, the pin system is not enough good for use with more speed spurs.

RC Qualifier
    I was running the 46 gear on 6S and it shattered on me when hill climbing.

I went with a 50 Hot Racing spur and as big a pinion as would comfortably fit, a 21 tooth.

But mine wheelies some, though the Cush gear limits them and has decent speed.

If you are a speed nut or like big air save up for some 4S batteries and budget for spares.

8S is rough on the drive train.

RC Champion
    46T are for speed, 54T is for torque, you choose you want in each case, there are a 50T aftermarket spurs, wich is a medium between the other two.

Just got the 8s version and took mine out for the first run on 6s batts and i cant say i was too impressed.
    When I first got my 8S version in March, I wasn't impressed either running on 6S or 8S.

The first thing I got rid of on mine was the center and rear differentials. The truck was just too tame with that center differential and since I like my rear end locked as well, that differential went bye-bye as well.

That brought the truck to where it could lift the front end a little easier on 8S. I still wasn't impressed though, so the next thing I did was get a Max5.

Running with the 1200XL stock motor and a Max5 has brought the truck one more step closer to the way I expect an 8S truck to perform. Still though, I am not quite happy just yet.

The batteries and motor will be my next two critical components that need matched very carefully to get the truck where I need it with my Max5 ESC.

I'm looking at 120C rate batteries and possibly a 980Kv motor and I think I should have a truck doing what I see in all the youtube videos that glorify the truck as appearing to run that way in supposedly stock form.

I know better though. Those guys dropped another grand into the truck to get it to perform where it is leaving ruts everywhere it goes.

With my ProModeler servo, Max5, and various other upgrades at this point, I'm more than half way to where the truck actually poses a threat to my 6S E-Maxx Brushless.

As of right now though, my 6S E-Maxx Brushless will humiliate my X-Maxx until I get that motor upgrade and batteries that are over a 25C rating.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 06-27-2020 at 12:37 PM.
    Sent from my autonomous device.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    When I first got my 8S version in March, I wasn't impressed either running on 6S or 8S.
    ok thanks, after hearing that and watching the other video of someone else on stock 6s, i feel a bit better knowing its not just me. i guess that was probably main reason the 8s version was created.

RC Champion

The first thing I got rid of on mine was the center and rear differentials. The truck was just too tame with that center differential and since I like my rear end locked as well, that differential went bye-bye as well.

That brought the truck to where it could lift the front end a little easier on 8S. I still wasn't impressed though, so the next thing I did was get a Max5.

Running with the 1200XL stock motor and a Max5 has brought the truck one more step closer to the way I expect an 8S truck to perform. Still though, I am not quite happy just yet.

The batteries and motor will be my next two critical components that need matched very carefully to get the truck where I need it with my Max5 ESC.

I'm looking at 120C rate batteries and possibly a 980Kv motor and I think I should have a truck doing what I see in all the youtube videos that glorify the truck as appearing to run that way in supposedly stock form.

I know better though. Those guys dropped another grand into the truck to get it to perform where it is leaving ruts everywhere it goes.

With my ProModeler servo, Max5, and various other upgrades at this point, I'm more than half way to where the truck actually poses a threat to my 6S E-Maxx Brushless.

As of right now though, my 6S E-Maxx Brushless will humiliate my X-Maxx until I get that motor upgrade and batteries that are over a 25C rating.
    I run with 110C batteries, is other world.

ok thanks, after hearing that and watching the other video of someone else on stock 6s, i feel a bit better knowing its not just me. i guess that was probably main reason the 8s version was created.
    You're Welcome.

The theory I have about why an 8S version was created, is somewhat harsh. First of all, when you have a truck that is twenty pounds or more in weight, you don't throw a sub-standard ESC into the rig like the VXL-6S they used. Then the fuse-able link problem cropped up along with various other problems that were addressed in the 8S version.

At some point the engineers felt that the slipper assembly needed to go and whether that was a good or bad idea, is just a matter of preference really. But by eliminating the slipper assembly, they wussified how well the truck transplants power to the ground. The idea was to lessen the shock loads to the drive-train because all these guys were throwing in heavy-duty electronic aftermarket parts and motors that were tearing up the rig from within.

So realistically, there is no median or middle ground that can be reached with a truck weighing as much as the X-Maxx because Traxxas engineers didn't really expect the average RC'er to throw 900Kv motors and 200 amp ESC's with 120C rating batteries into a truck designed with such restrictive parameters because it was already tearing itself up in stock form.

My luck is, I'll get the truck where I want in the power department, and I'll have to go back to the differential in the center and rear just to prevent the truck from destroying the drive-train.

It is a vicious cycle to find the balance between power and durability and unfortunately with a truck this heavy, I don't see how to accomplish it at this point. You get one aspect of the truck figured out and then two more problems crop up. It is part of the hobby, and I enjoy it.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 06-27-2020 at 01:02 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I also purchased some 10,500 mah 3S batteries from SMC. No problem with current flow from them.

Love em. Rarely do I run long enough to shut them down.

I also ditched the Traxxas electronics this year and went with a Futaba 3PV, and a Max5. Even better and the weird little glitches from the Traxxas electronics are gone.

Other than that I run a TBone racing bumper and full skid plates including the A-Arms. Put some RPM a-arms on the front as a protective measure and installed their screw sets all around after popping a couple of arm ends off of the pins.

Other than that I run everything else stock. Never broke a drive shaft or anything in the rear. I broke a steering knuckle this year. RPM donít make those yet. The stock ones are pretty tough.

Money well spent.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmarzke View Post
    I also purchased some 10,500 mah 3S batteries from SMC. No problem with current flow from them.

Love em. Rarely do I run long enough to shut them down.
    That is definitely a lot of gas in the tank partner!

I also ditched the Traxxas electronics this year and went with a Futaba 3PV, and a Max5. Even better and the weird little glitches from the Traxxas electronics are gone.
    On that Futaba 3PV - was that just a receiver or radio and receiver?

Put some RPM a-arms on the front as a protective measure and installed their screw sets all around after popping a couple of arm ends off of the pins.
    How are those RPM arms? They pretty firm to a twist or are they pliable like the stockers?

RC Champion
    How are those RPM arms? They pretty firm to a twist or are they pliable like the stockers?
    The RPM ones are more flexible than stock ones, it can screw, literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    The RPM ones are more flexible than stock ones, it can screw, literally.
    That would kind of defeat the purpose of a more stout upgrade then

If they twist easier, how are they going to retain a pin better?

RC Champion

The advantage of this RPM A Arms is it don't broke, twist but not broke, I prefer and in fact, purchase a Traxxas heavy duty A Arms in green, it come in different colours.

The advantage of this RPM A Arms is it don't broke, twist but not broke, I prefer and in fact, purchase a Traxxas heavy duty A Arms in green, it come in different colours.

Speaking of different colors, why cant I find a shock in orange? They have red, green, blue and black; but no orange. They have orange wheels for crying out loud; but no shock bodies

https://traxxas.com/search?keyword=7761

RC poster
    I have a video of X-MAXX 6S original version. The only thing I swapped out was the ESC to that of the 8S version. I used 6S batteries and it wheelie on demand without running the 8S batteries. I then used 8S batteries and yes it has much more power.

RC Champion
    Speaking of different colors, why cant I find a shock in orange? They have red, green, blue and black; but no orange. They have orange wheels for crying out loud; but no shock bodies

https://traxxas.com/search?keyword=7761
    Maybe if you ask JennyRC, they re-stock in a time.

https://jennysrc.com/collections/traxxas-x-maxx-74076

That reminds me varunaX - you may want to look in the Traxxas Link App and make sure your "Throttle Sensitivity" is set to 0%.

Maybe if you ask JennyRC, they re-stock in a time.
    The problem is, I don't think the shocks were ever offered in orange unless you bought the whole truck is what I'm getting at.

Remind me to wring my own neck for that mistake of wanting the orange truck!
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 06-27-2020 at 01:51 PM.

RC Champion

As for what others have described as a lack of power isn't what we have experienced in the completely stock form. Like I stated it wheelies on demand no matter the surface (including wet grass) and when we ripped it off land on to water it literally spent most of the water run on the back tires with the front bouncing up and down but we only ran about 100ft at a time being to scared it would stall and sink.

Without the tsm when we floor it, it fishtails and wheelies until it flips. Depending on the surface ours gps's at 34mph to 37mph and we run 2- 3s 5300 mah 50c batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    As for what others have described as a lack of power isn't what we have experienced in the completely stock form. Like I stated it wheelies on demand no matter the surface (including wet grass) and when we ripped it off land on to water it literally spent most of the water run on the back tires with the front bouncing up and down but we only ran about 100ft at a time being to scared it would stall and sink.

Is that by any chance the 6S with the slipper clutch still installed version?

RC Champion
    Nope, it was the Limited Edition Orange we bought December 2018 and it's ran like this since new. The video VarunaX posted is super slow compared to what ours runs like, his settings must be off or something.

What batteries are you using? What is the C rating?

It's my understanding that you just got this truck.

I know a number of new erevo 2.0 guys have reported very slow cars. And it's found to be a esc issue possibly a bad batch of ecs. Perhaps the xmaxx vxl8s is affected by whatever manufacturing issue is going on as well? But this is first I'm seeing on xmaxx...

Do make you are not in training mode.

Since you have a erevo. Perhaps. Take the vxl6s esc from erevo. Put it on the xmaxx. And do a short test run. ( I don't know how this esc and xmaxx motor will play together, as esc may get really hot if running long.). But it will at least let you test out if your vxl8s esc is bad and need to call Traxxas or your lhs for a warranty replacement.

For me I run at 8s and even on training mode lots of power.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Nope, it was the Limited Edition Orange we bought December 2018 and it's ran like this since new. The video VarunaX posted is super slow compared to what ours runs like, his settings must be off or something.
    It really makes me wonder lately about why these threads are popping up lately (not particularly this site) about models just bought within this past year that are reflecting under-powered assessments.

If I find out that it has anything remotely to do with the Rx - I can't even begin to describe the fury I will unleash.

In other words, if I go the Futaba route and I have a drastic performance increase before I even buy my motor, I'm going to begin to question some things about what Traxxas receivers can really control.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 06-27-2020 at 02:15 PM.

RC Champion
    That reminds me varunaX - you may want to look in the Traxxas Link App and make sure your "Throttle Sensitivity" is set to 0%.
    This is a very good tip.

The problem is, I don't think the shocks were ever offered in orange unless you bought the whole truck is what I'm getting at.

Remind me to wring my own neck for that mistake of wanting the orange truck![/QUOTE]

No, the orange truck is amazing look, is an excellent choice.

RC Champion
    It really makes me wonder lately about why these threads are popping up lately (not particularly this site) about models just bought within this past year are reflecting under-powered assessments.
    Possibly a change in components or maybe manufacturing site or (my theory is app related).

Possibly a change in components or maybe manufacturing site or (my theory is app related).
    IMO I think this COVID19 has really affected the manufacturing.

Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    It has affected everything grizzly; but more so our hobby, which I believe has taken a pretty good hit like you're pointing out.

I mean it is nice to go out in the world now and not know if your going to live or die because someone next to you coughed.

It isn't the usual "I might get run over by a bus or hit by a truck" now it is if someone coughs or sneezes, you don't know if your going to live or die.

Who's idea of fun was this anyways?
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 06-27-2020 at 02:33 PM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    +1 on affecting everything,

RC Champion
    It has affected everything grizzly; but more so our hobby, I think has taken a pretty good hit like you're pointing out.
    I DO NOT want to get you riled up about your old thread LOL, but with the heating up of your reciever and 2085x issue and others commenting on slower speeds I still believe it's app related some how.

I DO NOT want to get you riled up about your old thread LOL, but with the heating up of your reciever and 2085x issue and others commenting on slower speeds I still believe it's app related some how.
    I need a good thing to get riled up about every once in a while and the latest was almost choking on my own tongue when I saw the price for just one drive cup. $12 freaking dollars for one drive cup - I haven't even had the opportunity to make more than $11.25 an hour yet and these guys want two hours of my work time for one drive cup!

It's just a drive cup! I hardly doubt it takes more than two hours to manufacture it and they are probably spitting them out by the thousands - so how do they arrive at the price of $12 dollars a cup is beyond me?

They are outside their mind!
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 06-27-2020 at 02:44 PM.

RC Qualifier
    The Futaba 3PV is their mid level ground radio. Just the tx and rx. I bought the Max5 esc.

Poor performance sounds like an ESC issue to me. Do you have the Blue Tooth chip in your tx? Maybe it needs an update or reset to factory settings.

RC Champion
    The Futaba 3PV is their mid level ground radio. Just the tx and rx. I bought the Max5 esc.

Poor performance sounds like an ESC issue to me. Do you have the Blue Tooth chip in your tx? Maybe it needs an update or reset to factory settings.

I think this is a very good way, the module is aoutstanding and he App too, with updates, the performance is better.

RC Champion
    I need a good thing to get riled up about every once in a while and the latest was almost choking on my own tongue when I saw the price for just one drive cup. $12 freaking dollars for one drive cup - I haven't even had the opportunity to make more than $11.25 an hour yet and these guys want two hours of my work time for one drive cup!

It's just a drive cup! I hardly doubt it takes more than two hours to manufacture it and they are probably spitting them out by the thousands - so how do they arrive at the price of $12 dollars a cup is beyond me?

They are outside their mind!
    It's crazy thing, the prices are high for a little pieces.

RC Qualifier

RPM makes a pin set for the outer ends of the arms that has a nut on the end.

You get the flexibility of the RPM arms without popping the pins out.

RC Enthusiast
    The x maxx on 6s is going to act this way 8s is much better self righting should work on 6s wouldnít use it anyways I took out my rear diff pinion and ring gear self righting

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast