RC poster

Xmaxx gear mesh questions

Ok, so tried 18/50 gearing and with the pins the mesh is ridiculously loose, took the pins out and pushed the motor across but it wont go close enough to the spur for a decent mesh, in the end went with 20/50 which only just meshes, its almost impossible to get it "too tight" anyone running 18/50 have any similar issues, I have the motor mount bushes but it doesn't seem to be those that are causing it

RC poster
    Its better to mesh your gears manually than depending on them pins. I got rid of the pins a long time ago because the mesh is never worked and kept breaking the gears. When I first got my x maxx 8s, the stock gears 18/54 got destroyed in the first 10 minutes of driving it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby122344 View Post
    Its better to mesh your gears manually than depending on them pins. I got rid of the pins a long time ago because the mesh is never worked and kept breaking the gears. When I first got my x maxx 8s, the stock gears 18/54 got destroyed in the first 10 minutes of driving it.

I Took the pins out straight away, there's still not enough room to get the motor close enough to the spur for a decent mesh on 18/46 , 20/46, the pins are garbage

I third that motion. It's best to use a motor mount that lets you manually set your gear mesh.
    Life's to short to be a sour puss.

RC poster
    I agree. I'm using the WFO motor mount paired with the Hobbywing 1100kv motor. Meshing the gears was a breeze to do

RC Champion
    Stock Xmaxx motor mounts have never been an issue here -
    1600kv motors on 3 Xmaxx’s for years of thrashing abuse every weekend
    19 or 20 tooth pinion is good to start with when using the 46t spur
    18 tooth pinion is the largest that will fit with the 54t spur gear
    The 18/46 ratio should not be used = too loose gear mesh = failure

Enjoy what you do
    fabricator

RC Champion
    Manual mesh is better for all.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by norv360 View Post
    I Took the pins out straight away, there's still not enough room to get the motor close enough to the spur for a decent mesh on 18/46
    im seeing the exact same thing. my mesh isnt even close with 18/46 without the pins. i understand a motor mount would be ideal, but for those without, whats the trick to manually meshing in order to get the gears to touch?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by varunaX View Post
    im seeing the exact same thing. my mesh isnt even close with 18/46 without the pins. i understand a motor mount would be ideal, but for those without, whats the trick to manually meshing in order to get the gears to touch?
    Mate, the trick is to put a paper between the spur and pinion and come both together, then you tighten the screws under the rig and motor mount, the stock motor mount works very well, but if you want more efficient heat dissipation, get an aluminum one.

This:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GPM-TRAXXAS...0AAOSwuh***-4E

Or this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/C26945ORANG...gAAOSwCkZZOdGP

RC Champion
    Either;
    use a 19t or 20t pinion gear
    a 50t wide spur gear -or 46t
    Stock motor mounts are not an issue
    fabricator

RC Qualifier
    So are you confirming the 18/46 mesh can't be done?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    Mate, the trick is to put a paper between the spur and pinion and come both together,

]
    I would if I could but I'm Tryin to say I could 20 sheets of paper in between the gears as they don't come close to meshing. Do you not see the same.?

RC Champion
    That’s why the 18/46 combo shatters gears
    The motor cannot adjust mesh close enough
    fabricator

RC Champion
    I would if I could but I'm Tryin to say I could 20 sheets of paper in between the gears as they don't come close to meshing. Do you not see the same.?
    I understand, as CrazyXMAXX says, this 18/46 gear setup comes loose always, maybe you want to buy a 20T or higher pinion for correct mesh. When I run mine in stock, I always use 18/54, then, I install a belt system.