RC poster

Upgrade time..... Motor and esc questions

Not to make this a long post but, I am trying to control temps on my platinum. Yes it has fans and stock gears. Running 3s...... I know best solution is upgrade. Ok here is my question, I have kids and am trying figure out the best way to upgrade on a budget. Would you just save up till the money for a combo was available, or would you buy it separately?

I’ve found combos provide the best value from a price perspective.

The Hobbywing Max8 combo with 2200kv motor is reasonably priced and can easily handle 3s to 6s.

Castle has great systems as well, but tend to be a bit more expensive.

Another option is the Arrma BLX185 with 2050kv motor. It comes stock in a few of Arrma’s vehicles. Bought one used and it works really well. Fits perfectly in the slash, can handle up to 6s and being used was cheap.

Even a 2200kv on 3S has been good for me in my slampede (stampede with slash chassis). I had been chasing heat issues pretty much the entire time I owned the stampede (2+ years). Especially when I started running 3S in it.

I just used spare stuff I had on hand from other trucks I upgraded. My motor is a 4 year old 2200kv from my version 1 brushless revo and my esc is a 2 year old blx185 from my outcast. The motor is a bit on the weak side, don't feel as much from the magnets when rotating the shaft as I do my other motors. So I'm guessing that's limiting my torque a bit. I have another spare 2200kv, but it's from my savage flux and has weird fins all around it in the center, so may be annoying to install.

Either way, I have it geared a bit faster than I had in the past with smaller systems on 3S and it runs cooler even though I've been driving it considerably harder.

When I ran 2S, I was overheating the vxl-3s/3500 system more often than I liked as I run in grass a lot. I put in a castle sct sv3/3800kv with one less tooth on the pinion (higher kv motor) and it did great on 2S. When I started running 3S, I broke the motor shaft off... since the motor cost nearly as much as the combo, I decided I'd try the HW max10 sct/3660sl 3200kv system. It was ok, but the motor ran hot. I then tried a hobbystar 3665/3100kv and it did better, but still had intermittent issues with it overheating.

Then after being annoyed with the twitchy air control of the short chassis, I decided to try out a slash chassis. Since the slash chassis had so much more room in it and I had the spare 1/8th electronics, I gave them a try. So far, it's been a great change. Wish I had done it last year instead of fighting with the thing.

When I had the 3665/3100kv motor I was running 54/15 gearing with the blx185 esc in it. Even with the punch pretty high, the motor felt really soft when I'd lean on the throttle, which is why I tried the larger motor. With the 4074/2200kv motor I changed to 19/54 and it's way better even though the motor is getting tired.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

Your best bet is to go with an 8th scale system, as even a good 10th scale system in most cases is not going to completely solve your overheating issues. The Velineon system is already a decent 10th scale system.

It's difficult to answer questions about upgrading on a budget without knowing the budget you're working with.

The Castle Mamba Monster X + 2200kv Motor is the ideal combo IMO, but at ~$275 MSRP it's not cheap:
    http://www.castlecreations.com/en/ma...00-010-0145-03

Thankfully Castle also offers the Sidewinder 8th + 2200kv motor combo for almost $90 cheaper:
    http://www.castlecreations.com/en/si...or-010-0139-01

The two combos come with the exact same motor. The Siderwinder 8th can't handle quite as much power as the Mamba Monster X, but it's still a capable 8th scale ESC. The biggest difference is that the Sidewinder 8th can only run the motor in sensorless mode. That's fine for the price.

Other combos such as the Hobbywing EzRun Max8 + 2200kv motor don't offer sensored operation either, and are in most cases even more expensive than the Castle Sidewinder 8th + 2200kv combo:
    https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/prod...18334601281651

Quote Originally Posted by RedHawk509 View Post
    Not to make this a long post but, I am trying to control temps on my platinum. Yes it has fans and stock gears. Running 3s...... I know best solution is upgrade. Ok here is my question, I have kids and am trying figure out the best way to upgrade on a budget. Would you just save up till the money for a combo was available, or would you buy it separately?
    I would save up money until you had enough to get what you want. I believe just about everyone on the forum knows that I love the El Sob special 2.0 motor system. Which is the Mamba X esc and the sensored 2400kv 5mm shaft motor system. I have had one since they were first released and I got another not long ago. I'm extremely happy with the both of them
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC poster
    What pinion and spur gears are you guys running with the 1/8th scale systems? Mod 1? Or are you using 32 pitch pinions for 5 mm shaft with a steel spur gear?

RC poster
    Could someone please put me into the ballpark on a good starting point for gearing? I'm looking at Hobbywing Max 8 with 2200kv motor for general all around bashing.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin B View Post
    What pinion and spur gears are you guys running with the 1/8th scale systems? Mod 1? Or are you using 32 pitch pinions for 5 mm shaft with a steel spur gear?
    I run a 2150kv 1/8th scale motor geared 20/50...still using plastic spurs without issue. I'll guess you'll be safe at 18/54 to start and gear from there.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

I run my basher on CC's MMX/2200kV 1/8th system geared 20/50 Mod1 on 3S.
    Seems about perfect for me. Not crazy fast... just right for bashing around!

Have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

I'm using 32p gears, 18/54, but I use Stampede-sized tires and run mostly off-road. No need for a metal spur even with the most powerful 8th scale systems, the plastic spur will still work fine.

32P on my slampede, running 3S. 19/54 with 2.8 trenchers with the blx185 and traxxas older 2200kv motor from my ERBEv1:
    https://traxxas.com/products/parts/m...proof2200motor

The motor is quite tired, or I'm assuming it is as when I had it off the truck, the output shaft spins pretty easily. I had used it for 3 years in my ERBEv1 on 4S and a few runs on 6S in my v2. It may just spin easily by nature, not sure. Seems to work fine still though.

I do run a center diff with the FLM alloy cup and 500k oil in it. I have a handful of very spirited bash sessions on it and it's holding up great so far.

These are the pinions I'm using:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0821L5J29

Running the plastic center diff spurs with it.

I did put a fan on the motor. It was getting pretty warm on my first run, which was through a lot of grass and a lot of WOT just to test the system. The motor was getting up around 140F, which is fine, but I had a hobbywing single fan cooler and hacked it up to fit the larger finned motor and to be positioned on the motor so it wasn't in the way of the adjustment screw:
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

RC poster
    Awesome thank you guys.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    I would save up money until you had enough to get what you want. I believe just about everyone on the forum knows that I love the El Sob special 2.0 motor system. Which is the Mamba X esc and the sensored 2400kv 5mm shaft motor system. I have had one since they were first released and I got another not long ago. I'm extremely happy with the both of them
    I have heared great things about that combo, but I also have seen some posts about a 2700kv motor, and that that thing just flies. wich one is better?

RC poster
    On guys with your input i.have in order the Mamba X and 2400kv motor. Now comes gear questions. I see 20 50 as a recommendation, but should they be steel? Keep the 32 pitch? 3s just bashing around, not trying to reach a million mph!

I see 20 50 as a recommendation, but should they be steel? Keep the 32 pitch? 3s just bashing around, not trying to reach a million mph!
    You should go with a hardened-steel pinion + plastic spur. That is pretty high gearing. Unless you are going for top speed, I'd suggest a more modest gearing to help keep temps down.

RC poster
    Any ideas what would be close to box stock speed?

RC Racer
    Any ideas what would be close to box stock speed?

I think a largest spurs gear and a 17 t pinion gear

I guess

Dont buy this gearing unless youre sure you have a gearing will fit
    Last edited by LargeCar1999; 07-11-2020 at 09:34 PM.