RC Competitor

Traxxas Slash 2wd

Please recommend me a good traxxas slash 2wd drive shaft.l, I need something good.
    Money is not an issue.

Im also looking for Blue rubber on the photo, White piece and
    Holder for bumper.
    Any help will Be extremely appreciated

Photos below
    https://ibb.co/gVC6PFg
    https://ibb.co/LtCPFMC
    https://ibb.co/7SyNpZv
    Last edited by molodets; 06-29-2020 at 09:34 PM.

For me, the stock driveshafts are fine (but I am just running the stock brushed motor). I spent a little time reading some reviews on the Steel CV Shafts and they seem pretty good for the most part (on the website listed below, it has 4 stars, but others put 3 stars on it to ask questions). I have never used them, so do some more research (or maybe others who have tune in please!):
    https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxas...a6852r/p158971

The blue rubber part is the receiver box seal: https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxas...tra5625/p27192

The white steering component is the servo saver (has a spring inside of it, so when the car crashes on the tires, it would absorb some of the impact, so the servo won't take all of the blow): https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxas...tra3744/p11787

The bumper mount (I can only find it with the bumper): https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxas...tra5836/p26646

btw: all the parts that I have linked above are exact same replacement parts. You can get aftermarket servo savers, and aftermarket bumpers too.

RC Competitor
    Any recommendation on
    motor? My motor just blew up.
    I have Titan 12T 550

Many people like the Velineon 3s that comes standard with the brushless Traxxas cars. Tthe best thing about it is that it is rebuildable (Traxxas offers a rebuild kit for it). However, it is unsensored (so it is better for high speed). It is also waterproof and is a 4 pole motor (pretty decent), but the price is about $170, and there are other cheaper options.

Other people go for Castle Creations Sidewinder paired with the 1410 motor. It is brushless sensored, and is also a 4 pole motor (excellent low speed torque, and still has got quite a lot of wheel speed). It is waterproof (like the VXL system), but best of all, it is cheaper, around the $120 price range. Castle also offers a rebuild kit for it, as a similar pricing compared the VXL.

Many others also prefer Hobbywing (rebuild kits from them are less available, but brushless motors rarely need any rebuilding if the bearings are kept in good condition, and oiled). For general purposes, the Max10 Combo is pretty good (around $100 or $140, depending on which ESC you choose). It is a 4 pole brushless sensorless, and is also waterproof.
    If you are looking into racing, the Hobbywing XR10 Justock Brushless Sensored Combo is pretty nice, at around $100 (it is 2 pole, and also not waterproof though).

BTW: do some more research before getting a combo you like, as I have simplified much of it for an overall picture. For me, I would prefer the Castle.

Hopefully this helps!

RC Competitor
    Is there anything better then Traxxas Rear Heavy Duty Steel CV Driveshaft?

I have them now, but the rubber on those is getting ripped.

There are other ones, but they are much heavier (more rotational mass can break more transmission gears). Traxxas does make rebuild kits for the Heavy Duty CVs. How bad are the seal boots getting ripped? If the shaft itself does not break or twist, then see why and how it gets ripped. If you can find the problem and it isn't a long term problem, rebuild it and make sure that everything is smooth.

I also looked at other driveshafts, but the dog bone ones have loose pins that pop out and other metal ones have quite a lot of issues with stripping gears and other internal components. If you really want another driveshaft, maybe the Hot Racing ones are worth a try (there have been mixed reviews about them).

RC Competitor
    I was thing to get
    HD Steel Rear Universal Drive Shaft for Traxxas 1/10 Slash 2WD & Nitro Slash.

Let me know what you think?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by molodets View Post
    Any recommendation on
    motor? My motor just blew up.
    I have Titan 12T 550
    I just picked this up from my LHS: https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbywi...010200/p607213
    I haven't yet installed it though, but I'm expecting it to be a beast. Hope to install it by this weekend, but needed to pick up an XT60 plug to solder on to the ESC for the power.

RC Competitor
    My Titan 12T 550 gets Really Hot. Any advice why new motor gets hot?
    Last edited by molodets; 07-03-2020 at 06:02 PM.

If the gearing is the same then check the gear mesh. When the pinion and spur are too close together, it does not spin as freely, which may overheat the motor.

If you changed the gearing (I assume you went with a larger pinion, or smaller spur, or both), then gear it down or go back to stock.

RC Competitor
    Whats a gear Mesh???
    Whats a spur??
    Sorry guys.....
    Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    If the gearing is the same then check the gear mesh. When the pinion and spur are too close together, it does not spin as freely, which may overheat the motor.

If you changed the gearing (I assume you went with a larger pinion, or smaller spur, or both), then gear it down or go back to stock.

The spur gear is the larger gear next to the gear (pinion) on the motor. Here's a pic (sorry about the bad editing, couldn't really write on a laptop trackpad):

The gear mesh is how close the spur gear and pinion. Also, it's totally fine, I also started out not knowing much. Hope this helps!
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Racer
    Since you are asking what a spur is, let me explain a bit about gearing and why it's important to know about, especially if your motor is getting hot. The stock gearing is 19/90. Meaning 19 teeth on the pinion gear and 90 teeth on the spur gear. Whenever the pinion gear gets larger (more teeth/higher number) the top speed of the truck increases. Whenever the spur gear gets smaller (less teeth/smaller number) the top speed increases. This has an inverse effect on the stress of the motor however. As speed increases, so does stress on the motor, which creates heat. Even something as simple as changing 1 or 2 teeth on the pinion can have a major change in how much stress is on the motor. Stock gearing is 4.73:1 meaning for every 4.7 times the pinion spins around, the spur gear spins once. If you go up two teeth on the pinion to 21, the gear ratio becomes 4.28:1. Now lets say you put the spare gears that come with the Slash on there without changing the spur, you are now at 23/90 or 3.91:1 meaning you now need one full revolution less to spin that spur gear one full revolution. It doesnt sound like much, but when you are talking about a motor that spins 21000 times in a minute, those changes become more dramatic.

Here is a link to site that can help you see what the speed difference is as you change your gearing...
    https://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html

RC Competitor
    Greatly appreciate detailed explanation.
    I will send photo of the motorl. To me everything seems fine with spur
    Quote Originally Posted by devestator View Post
    Since you are asking what a spur is, let me explain a bit about gearing and why it's important to know about, especially if your motor is getting hot. The stock gearing is 19/90. Meaning 19 teeth on the pinion gear and 90 teeth on the spur gear. Whenever the pinion gear gets larger (more teeth/higher number) the top speed of the truck increases. Whenever the spur gear gets smaller (less teeth/smaller number) the top speed increases. This has an inverse effect on the stress of the motor however. As speed increases, so does stress on the motor, which creates heat. Even something as simple as changing 1 or 2 teeth on the pinion can have a major change in how much stress is on the motor. Stock gearing is 4.73:1 meaning for every 4.7 times the pinion spins around, the spur gear spins once. If you go up two teeth on the pinion to 21, the gear ratio becomes 4.28:1. Now lets say you put the spare gears that come with the Slash on there without changing the spur, you are now at 23/90 or 3.91:1 meaning you now need one full revolution less to spin that spur gear one full revolution. It doesnt sound like much, but when you are talking about a motor that spins 21000 times in a minute, those changes become more dramatic.

Here is a link to site that can help you see what the speed difference is as you change your gearing...
    https://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html

Quote Originally Posted by devestator View Post
    Since you are asking what a spur is, let me explain a bit about gearing and why it's important to know about, especially if your motor is getting hot...

Good explanation. Another way to think of it is your bicycle: the pinion is the front gears and the spur is the rear gearset. Start pedaling and switch gears - which is easy from a start and what selection is hard? Just think of what gears you've selected and how fast or how much effort you have to pedal vs a given speed. There's a happy medium and I guarantee you that on my 21-speed mountain bike the chain doesn't spend much time in the smallest front sprocket as well as the smallest rear.
    The Super Derecho