RC poster

But splice versus Sauter

I need to attach a Traxxas connector to a hobby wing ESC, And I donít know how to Sauter. Would but splices be a good alternative?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Solder, and NO, butt splices will create a weak spot, getting unnecessarily hot. The expansion and contraction due to heat and youíll get a worse connection, and plenty of arcing and pitting. Find a hobby store to solder it for you if you donít want to invest in your own setup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly, the best thing to do in the long run is to learn how to solder. If you keep on trying to avoid it, you will find that you always have limited choices to choose from. Also, soldering isn't hard, or at least not as hard as you think it is. I'm 15, and I just kinda learned it on my own.

I started out with a cheap $20 iron from Home Depot (and an empty tuna can with a wet sponge), and practiced with some wires (and the more practice, the better I do). Once you have the basics, you will find that you have much more freedom (you may also save yourself some time, and money too).

BTW: When doing solder connections, make sure to complete one side first (put the heat shrink on too), then move on to the next one. It's better to do that, because if you are changing the battery connectors, with both wires exposed at the same time, it will create a short circuit if the two wires touch (nearly had that happen)

Like Gripdog said, using a splice would work only for the short term. It would most likely fall apart after some use, so consider learning how to solder yourself (maybe just let an expert do it for this time, and practice on some wires, so you know how next time).

Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Solder, and NO, butt splices will create a weak spot, getting unnecessarily hot. The expansion and contraction due to heat and youíll get a worse connection, and plenty of arcing and pitting. Find a hobby store to solder it for you if you donít want to invest in your own setup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    +1

https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-e...ef-lesson.html

Long but great info i even a old dog like me learned a few things I didn't know.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk