Thread: lowering

RC Enthusiast

lowering

I know you can buy a lowering kit for a bandit but does anyone have pictures of one they built themselves?? This build will be for dirt oval.

There are a couple of simple ways to lower RCs.

First, move the suspension, if you haven't done so already. Take the upper shock mounts to the inboard-most hole, and the lower shock mounts to the outer most hole.

If that isn't low enough, then you'll need to decide how you want to limit your shocks.
    • Zip-ties. You can use zip-ties to lower the suspension to the height your want. This doesn't look the best, but it works.
    • Fuel Tubing. Measure how much you want to limit your shocks, which is based on your desired ride height. Your front and back shocks will have different lengths, but from left to right, your measurements should be the same. Cut fuel tubing to the amount you want to limit your shocks, pull the shocks apart and put the tubing on the shock shaft between piston and the bottom of the shock. You'll want to make sure you cut the tubing straight and clean.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Enthusiast
    What I was looking for was someone who had built there own shock towers in order to replace the tall shock towers. I'm trying to put an old coupe body on one.

Quote Originally Posted by bandit2026 View Post
    What I was looking for was someone who had built there own shock towers in order to replace the tall shock towers. I'm trying to put an old coupe body on one.
    It helps when you give specifics on the project from the get-go.

It doesn't sound like you are trying to actually lower the ride height (a normal assumption when you "lowering" is posted), but shorter towers. I have never seen any aftermarket short towers. Most likely you'll need to fabricate your own. A chunk of 5mm aluminum would do the trick, the hardest part would be to cut it straight. One problem you will have to overcome are the shock angles on the arms. You will need to shorten up your shocks a bit to get the ride height your are looking for.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    Depending on what sort of tools you have access to (I could use a mill at work for aluminum) I make parts from carbon fiber sheet, pretty easy with just a dremel and a cutoff wheel along with sanding drums and carbide burrs. Messy though!

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    I have all the tools needed plus plenty of fiberglass to work with. Just looking for someone who has done it to a bandit. I've done others just thought someone might be ahead of me.

RC Qualifier
    Would towers from the XO-1 work? I'm not real familiar with another other than Slashes and Slayers but thought I'd throw that out there.

RC Enthusiast
    ok what is an xo-1??

RC Qualifier
    That's a Traxxas 1/7 scale awd car that has some parts that work on the 4x4 slash so like i said, not sure if that would help you since i'm not familiar with your model traxxas.

RC Enthusiast
    Would like to see a picture of a bandit with a vintage modified body like mcallister sells mounted before I buy one.