RC poster

Shock Recommendations

Hello All,

I'm new to the forum and now just getting back into RC cars. Recently, I've purchased a Rustler VXL and I'm not happy with the shocks that come stock with it. - Does anyone have any input? Big bore or GTR?

Thanks in advance!

RC Enthusiast
    I use GTR's on all my Traxxas stuff and really like them!

Traxxas Marshal
    I've had great luck with Big Bore shocks. I've also had good luck with upgrading the stock Ultra Shocks with aluminum caps and TiN shock shafts.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Competitor
    I personally like the stock shocks once you get nitride coated shafts, aluminium caps and the right oil-spring ratio.

I would also say that the stock shocks are good for what they are. I changed the plastic shock body and shock caps to aluminum, and also fiddled around with the oil weight and springs to get my setup the way I like them. Now it feels like a whole new truck.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC poster
    What are some spring options for the Ultra shocks anyway? Traxxas doesn’t list any spring weights on their springs for tuning. Or if someone has a guide to their spring weights I’d appreciate it.

RC Competitor
    A lot of people speak highly of the VG racing springs, for oil you do not want to go to heavy as it can result in bent shock shafts, I was running 70w oil and it ruined my shafts.

RC Qualifier
    There’s the linear white springs, 4# rating, which are stock on Rustlers and Stampedes.
    There’s the progressive white springs, 4# rating I believe, from the Slash.
    There are also red springs, 2.5# rating, which I’ve used, they are soft and need lots of preload.
    They are also good if you are shortening the shocks or on 8 shock setups. I’ve used them for crawling too.

Big bores are good as the rebuild kits are cheap. So are ultras btw. I also run plastic bodies with alum. caps and TiNi shafts.
    To the OP, what is it you aren’t happy about? The stock oil is generally considered too light.
    Most posters on here seem to prefer 40-50wt for general use, as do I.
    I would go as high as 60 in the heat of the summer.
    Last edited by fortunespoonz; 04-07-2021 at 05:51 PM.