RC poster

Red/Green flashing when I plug in the new Lipo (11v)

Hi all,

I've searched the forum and seen a few threads on this, but none give the answers so i'll try again

My son has the 4x4 Slash and we use the basic Traxxas NiMH 8.4 and a Peak LIPO 7.4 5000mAh we brought as a secondary battery. All works fine and we manage to switch LVM on and off accordingly.

Today we brought a third battery, again a Peak LIPO but the 11.1 v (4000mah). I understood these are compatible as long as LVM is enabled.

After charging we placed the 11.1v in but the XL5 ESC continuously blinks red then green. I put the 7.4 lipo in and its green. 11.1v back in and flashed. I've read this is the over voltage warning and goes into protection mode.

So my questions are (finally getting to the point, sorry)

1) Is the 11.1v LIPO battery compatible
    2) If so have I done something wrong
    3) How can I resolve?

I've seen the article that has been described in previous posts, however it does not give a resolution if you have a LIPO.

I'm hoping its compatible and that I just need to do something different.

Much appreciated

The XL-5 esc is only 2s compatible. Sorry.

RC Racer
    Swift93:
    I believe that the XL5 ESC is only rated for 2S LiPo. The 11.1v Peak LiPo that you have is 3S, and is not going to work with the ESC. Read the XL5 ESC manual here: https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi..._140430-EN.pdf

Apparently there IS a 3S rated XL5 ESC (in the TRX4 maybe??), although based on this video, it does not seem like it's a great long-term solution: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sfderej-ozU

Good Luck, and Have Fun! --BillJ

Yup. The XL-5HV 3s from the TRX-4's is 3s capable.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    Yup. The XL-5HV 3s from the TRX-4's is 3s capable.
    Thanks Grizzly and Single Trac, thats great information.

Can I simply replace the XL5 with the XL5HV and run with existing brushed motor?

We are also planning on upgrading to a brushless in the next few months. From what I understand the ESC needs to be specific to the motor and therefore i'd have to again replace the ESC. I'm new to this and learning but I see two options, return the 3S battery and run as is, or bite the bullet and buy brushless motor and brushless esc.

This is escalating quickly

Thanks again, really appreciate this

For brushless it is good to get the ESC/motor combo. You cannot run a brushless motor on a brushed ESC.

IF I was in your shoes, keep the 3s and buy the brushless combo that you have been looking at. Or if you are hard-pressed for money, return the 3s and buy the brushless which most likely will be usable on 2s and still fun. Brushless on 3s will start to break axle shafts.

Couple notes: the brushed 4x4 has lower ratio diffs as well as plastic center shaft. If you want to go brushless spec then upgrade the center shaft to at least the stock Traxxas aluminum and install Slash 4x4 diffs or one step further would be XO-1 differentials (compare/contrast: https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...-ML-121120.pdf).
    Last edited by Double G; 07-03-2020 at 08:39 AM.
    The Super Derecho

I agree with Double G. I wouldn't get the XL5HV, put the money toward a brushless setup. The performance and efficiency are well worth it.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    For brushless it is good to get the ESC/motor combo. You cannot run a brushless motor on a brushed ESC.

IF I was in your shoes, keep the 3s and buy the brushless combo that you have been looking at. Or if you are hard-pressed for money, return the 3s and buy the brushless which most likely will be usable on 2s and still fun. Brushless on 3s will start to break axle shafts.

Couple notes: the brushed 4x4 has lower ratio diffs as well as plastic center shaft. If you want to go brushless spec then upgrade the center shaft to at least the stock Traxxas aluminum and install Slash 4x4 diffs or one step further would be XO-1 differentials (compare/contrast: https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...-ML-121120.pdf).
    That is great info Double G. I've ordered the Brushless combo and did concern myself with what else I may need to beef up. I'll get these components ordered today.

Thanks again and to all that helped me out here - Really appreciated