RC Enthusiast

Differential options?

I did some reading of older forum posts, did some shopping, and found a few options for replacing the gears. Leaning towards this combo:

5379 R hardened steel - $40
    5382X spider gears. - $17
    3978 carrier with seals - $4.25

I considered the Hot Racing aluminum carrier, wondering if it's worth the $22 price increase per diff? Looks like it will require their gears too?

Am I missing anything? Does anybody have any suggestions for stronger, better parts?

Why do you want to change your diff gears?
    Life's to short to be a sour puss.

RC Enthusiast
    I stripped a few teeth. I figure why replace when you can upgrade?

Just something for you to chew on, okay. I'd consider just replacing what you have broken with stock parts at first. Then give it some time to see if you are going to have a chronic problem, or a "every once in a Blue Moon" problem. I say that, because, I think sometimes guys jump the gun when upgrading.

Me personally, I've only had a diff spider gear problem once (maybe twice) in all the years I've had my Emaxx. You might find this to be the case with you too. If so, you can save yourself a lot of time, money, and aggravation by only upgrading to eliminate a "chronic" problem rather than every time you "have" a problem.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 07-04-2020 at 05:00 AM.
    Life's to short to be a sour puss.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the info. That's pretty much what I'm doing except getting the hardened steel version of the main gears. Still using Traxxas brand. Hoping this works well, I've got MIP drive shafts and the Big Joe tires on it.