Thread: Upgrade or not?

RC Qualifier

Upgrade or not?

I want to buy an Arrma Kraton in a couple of years, and I plan on upgrading it so it becomes almost indistructable (M2C?). Should I keep upgrading my slash, or is it not worth the extra money?

I currently have:
    - A motor fan (integy, bad choice) and an ESC fan
    - MIP all around
    - The stock VXL electronics and plastic parts.

The Integy fans are currently not working, but sometimes they do work again (?). becouse of this, my motor can get quite hot when bashing hard. Loosening my clutch would help.

What should I do? Should I
    - Get new (yeah racing) fans and put it on the integy heatsink OR
    - Get a new heatsink + fans combo (any good brands?) OR
    - Get a better motor/esc combo to stop getting them so hot. Is this worth it, if I will be getting a Kraton 6s in a couple of years anyway?

I am a teen with a side-job, earning only €600 a year, and I am saving up for a nice custom-PC setup, a Kraton 6s and a phone upgrade, so I'd rather not spend a lot of money.

If I want to get a new motor+ESC, which ones do you advise? The castle Mamba X + 1415 motor combo costs €300, wich is wayyyy to much for me. Is the Sidewinder good, or should I get something from Hobbywing, or another brand? The Sidewinder + 1415 'only' costs €190

I run 3s, and sometimes 2s. I run in forests and grass fields, sometimes on skate parks.
    I try to not run in wet conditions becouse of extra maintenance, and becouse it is very hard to get wet grass/sand out of that thing, so a splash resistant ESC should be enough for me.
    Last edited by The Bean; 07-04-2020 at 09:35 AM.

RC Racer
    Hello, well i guess the cheapest fix for you is down gearing until you get temps under control. With a smaler pinion gear.

I dont think any other cheap 1/10 power systems will be so much better then the stock vxl -3s system.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks. Should I also replace the fans, or the entire cooler? Also, I can't seen to find these fans in the Netherlands
    Last edited by The Bean; 07-04-2020 at 10:06 AM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bean View Post
    Thanks. Should I also replace the fans, or the entire cooler?
    If you get the gearing correct you maybe dont need motor fan.
    One other thing that helps is to always have the ball bearings in good shape, and oiled. So that the hole drivetrain turns without resistans.

RC Qualifier
    And loosening my clutch. I have it quite tight now

RC poster
    Buy som ebay/aliexpress quality fans for few bucks and simply change them with your integy fans (I highy doubt those integy ones are better quality anyway). They will not have as much CFM as *** fans or YeahRacing, but they will not be as brittle, from my experience. And If you are bashing hard, stronger and slower blades are always welcome (wont snap as easily).

Have fun!
    Monster Sl4sh HCG w/ HW Max10 SCT|Castle 2650Kv

RC Qualifier
    Tnx for the advice! Or maybe I can find a very cheap fan, and keep a small pile of those

RC Qualifier
    After reading some other threads, I found out that ARRMA’s 6s system also fits in the slash. Should I get the Kraton 6s, upgrade that motor + ESC, and use those in the slash?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bean View Post
    After reading some other threads, I found out that ARRMA’s 6s system also fits in the slash. Should I get the Kraton 6s, upgrade that motor + ESC, and use those in the slash?
    I think your talking yourself into purchasing another RC truck! I use the same psychology on myself all the time. Lol

The Kraton BLX185 esc and 2050KV motor fit very well into the Slash LCG. I bought a used combo a couple years ago and still going strong.

RC Qualifier
    Nah, I have been watching reviews of the kraton for a year now, and I was allready planning on buying it someday. But it is another argument for why to buy it. Tnx for confirming it fits.
    Last edited by The Bean; 07-14-2020 at 01:48 AM.

Yeah Racing fans are worth the money spent. They are the only fans that i use. I had a stock two pole Velineon motor system that never got hot on 3s using them.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for that info! I haven’t orderd them yet, but I have orderd a smaller pinion