RC poster

Rustler 4x4 VXL steering doesnít work but throttle works fine

So I finally got my rustler 4x4 VXL the other day. Took it out for a test drive and after a little while the steering stopped working. The throttle forward and back works fine. Also there is a noise that comes out of the vehicle that wasnít before this issue ?

Iím new to The RC world so I need help. Im surprised that after one day out of the box this has happened.

Did you run into anything head on? Sounds like a stripped servo. Does the noise only happen when you're trying to turn the wheels?

RC poster
    Yes it makes the noise when I try to turn the wheel left or right ? Sometime even when I just turn it on. It flipped a few times when I was testing it but nothing crazy .

I'm new to the Rustler 4x4 scene as well. I'd start by removing the front end, removing the servo, and check your servo gears. I had the same issue with my 1/16 E-Revo, and it ended up being the servo. Those plastic gears don't hold up well.

RC poster
    Im looking at it and it seems like a big job to remove that front end to just get to the servo. where would I even start? is there a manual or video to show me how to do such a thing on this car?

It looks like there's only four screws and the servo horn screw that need to be removed. Here's a video I found showing how to do it. Looks pretty easy. I don't know how good the servo is he's using as a replacement, but you'll see how to get the front end off about two minutes into the video.

https://youtu.be/6VQyZofcwic

RC poster
    Thanks really appreciate you help

it seems the stock servo installed is a pretty low quality piece!!

No prob. Yeah the stock servo is a weak point on most of the models from what I've read and experienced. If it rolls/flips, and lands awkwardly on a front wheel, it can easily strip the servo. I use a Savox metal gear servo on my 1/16 E-Revo VXL. I'm not sure what the popular upgrade is for the Rusty 4x4. I'm still running the stock one. *Knock on wood*

RC Competitor
    Went bashing today with my new rustler 4x4 and stripped the servo. Went to my LHS and bought the upgraded to the Traxxas 2250 metal gear servo. Had a **** of a time realigning the steering. Had to use some sub trim in the app to get it perfect. I will test it out tomorrow in the same spot and see how it holds up.
    Slash 4X4 Ultimate LCG,
    Telemetry, ESC Cooler

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by bansheerider View Post
    Went bashing today with my new rustler 4x4 and stripped the servo. Went to my LHS and bought the upgraded to the Traxxas 2250 metal gear servo. Had a **** of a time realigning the steering. Had to use some sub trim in the app to get it perfect. I will test it out tomorrow in the same spot and see how it holds up.
    Did you remember to turn TSM all the way down before doing any servo alignments? Also, once you put it in, did you calibrate steering servo endpoints?
    Last edited by cgrant26; 07-09-2020 at 10:20 AM.

RC Racer
    double post

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by cgrant26 View Post
    Did you remember to turn TSM all the way down before doing any servo alignments? Also, once you put it in, did you calibrate steering servo endpoints?
    Hi

No I didnít. I thought once powered on the servo will be center. Is that not correct? Any videos on how to set center and endpoints? Iím an RC Airplane and drone pilot mostly. I donít have much experience with the trucks
    Slash 4X4 Ultimate LCG,
    Telemetry, ESC Cooler

When installing a new servo, you need to center the trim, turn TSM off, turn on the radio system and install the horn. Once you are satisfied with the throw of the servo you can fine-tune the end point. Instructions should be in your manual.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    When installing a new servo, you need to center the trim, turn TSM off, turn on the radio system and install the horn. Once you are satisfied with the throw of the servo you can fine-tune the end point. Instructions should be in your manual.
    Ok yes I did do that except the end points. I turned off TSM and centered the trim then powered on the system before putting it back together. It was tracking left a bit so I used sub trim to fine tune. Thatís what I do with my planes that have multiple servos.
    Slash 4X4 Ultimate LCG,
    Telemetry, ESC Cooler

RC Enthusiast
    Ok yes I did do that except the end points. I turned off TSM and centered the trim then powered on the system before putting it back together. It was tracking left a bit so I used sub trim to fine tune. That’s what I do with my planes that have multiple servos.
    A bit of sub-trim is some times unavoidable from my experience and you shouldn't worry about it.

Ok yes I did do that except the end points. I turned off TSM and centered the trim then powered on the system before putting it back together. It was tracking left a bit so I used sub trim to fine tune. That’s what I do with my planes that have multiple servos.
    Are you powering on the servo (radio) and centering the trim before installing the servo horn? That's what you should be doing. If you don't center your radio trims and power on the servo before installing the servo horn, the servo won't be centered. It could be at any given point in its rotation if it's off.
    Last edited by grizzly03; 07-10-2020 at 06:10 PM. Reason: highlighted