Velineon 3500 noob question

I've had my Rustler 4x4 VXL for 5 weeks. I took the motor off for the first time today to put a 10t on it. My only other experience with a VXL (or any brushless motor) has been my 1/16 E-Revo. I noticed the 3500 doesn't spin freely when I turn it by hand. There's no audible clicking noise, but I can feel it when I spin the motor shaft. Whereas, my 1/16 VXL has no resistance when I spin it by hand. Is this normal?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by McCreary View Post
    I've had my Rustler 4x4 VXL for 5 weeks. I took the motor off for the first time today to put a 10t on it. My only other experience with a VXL (or any brushless motor) has been my 1/16 E-Revo. I noticed the 3500 doesn't spin freely when I turn it by hand. There's no audible clicking noise, but I can feel it when I spin the motor shaft. Whereas, my 1/16 VXL has no resistance when I spin it by hand. Is this normal?
    I would say yes because I have found the bigger the motor the stronger the magnets which means greater resistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by McCreary View Post
    It's normal for a brushless motor to do that.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Yes, it is notmal.

The Velineon 3500 is a 4 pole motor and has strong magnets. You are feeling the rotor pass between the 2 sets of magnets.

Have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

Phew! Good to hear. Thanks for the replies.

RC poster
    I have a rustler 4x4 brushed version I just put the traxxas brushless motor in the car what could i do for some more speed still new

Quote Originally Posted by Steve25 View Post
    I have a rustler 4x4 brushed version I just put the traxxas brushless motor in the car what could i do for some more speed still new
    If you got a vxl3s system then you could get a 3s lipo battery and charger. Thatll give you some mph without any gear change. If you dont want buy a battery, or you just bought the motor, you could gear up a little. Put a pinion or spur with MORE teeth on it. But be careful cause this method will cause lots of heat in the motor.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk