RC Enthusiast

Best cleaning method

As title says...what's the go to cleaning method? I finally got to get my truck out into some dirt and a bit of mud. It's a mess, In a really really good way!! I have an air compressor. I was thinking just blast it with air. A buddy suggested the cleaner spray the nitro guys use, then hose it down with water. But it seems risky to hose down all the electronic bits.

I gently spray my whole truck down with the garden hose. Use a a few drops of dish soap in a small bucket...use a nylon bristled brush and scrub her down. I then hose it back off and use my compressor to blow it dry. Been doing this for years on rigs. On bad bad stuff...you can use simple green foam spray then, brush, rinse and blow dry. Obviously dont blast your ESC servos and reciever box...but hosing the truck fully off will not be a problem. I also put a piece of tape over the wheel vents to prevent water from getting in my tire foams.

If you have a bit of mud, rinsing it with water would be a better idea (assuming the electronics are all waterproof). The reason water is better because water/mud turns dry dust into more mud, which sticks to the car, and will be very difficult to remove with just air. What I usually do (after getting my UDR dirty) is to remove the body, remove the batteries, use some plastic wrap to cover the ESC battery connectors, make sure the receiver box is sealed properly, and rinse it with a hose (no pressure washer, as it will force water into the bearings), and brushing it at the same time. You don't really need cleaner spray unless your car is really dirty (like caked with mud or covered in something other than dust or a bit of mud). After rinsing it, I use a leaf blower to blow it, but use compressed air, since it blows off water better.

If you are worried about the electronics, you can take them off (but you do not have to). The VXL-6s ESC has a mesh-like covering on top for the fan, so it would be better to clean that too (I think the UDR and the E-Revo both come with the VXL-6s). Just something to keep in mind is that some people completely submerge their cars underwater for minutes, and the electronics have had no problems (make sure everything is dry, including the inside of the motor).
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

If stock electronics. I just a gentle hose and the blow dry or air dry in sun ( we don't have hard water here not worried about mineral build up. )

My tires have rim holes sealed

Can open receiver box and make sure water didn't get in and if so dry it out. As long as electronics are off and batteries out its all good.

If you have non waterproof aftermarket add one then would want to cover them somehow. Or make waterproof with shoe goo. Or something.

All my bearings get serviced with marine grease. So I don't have to worry about water in them.

Some wd40 beforehand dried helps keep the dirt to wash off easier afterwards. There are some other sprays you can use like muckof 94 and others.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I don’t have it yet, but this stuff looks good:

Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    I don’t have it yet, but this stuff looks good:

Interesting. Wonder if it eats bearings grease. That be my concern. Wonder how it works with a thick coating of mud.

One of the vid comments was wd40 silicone spray after a cleaning. To keep stuff from sticking. I got a can of it. Guess I'll have to try it out. Before I go out again.

I sprayed my cars with regular wd40 before going to beach and sand still stuck like crazy to the cars but a quick hose took it all off.

RC poster
    Any tips on cleaning if you don't have a compressor or can of air? I know the E-Revo 2.0 is supposed to be water proof, but I'm still hesitant to go with water, Thinking of of brushing off with stiff paint brush and maybe wiping it down with something like 409, which doesn't require water.

I'm hesitant to drop money on an air compressor since I don't really have any other use for it besides cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Cr@shnB3rn#16 View Post
    Any tips on cleaning if you don't have a compressor or can of air? I know the E-Revo 2.0 is supposed to be water proof, but I'm still hesitant to go with water, Thinking of of brushing off with stiff paint brush and maybe wiping it down with something like 409, which doesn't require water.

I'm hesitant to drop money on an air compressor since I don't really have any other use for it besides cleaning.
    A leaf blower can work as well.

I hose mine off and just air dry mine flipping the car around every so often. most of the time. but we don't have hard water that leaves mineral deposits. If you have hard water I would want to blow water off some how.

A brush and a rag can work as well. And really just cleaning it makes it easier to work on it and replace parts without dirt getting into holes loosing screws in the piles of mud and dirt that falls on work bench ect...... Nothing wrong leaving it dirty as well. IMHO. It's all just personal preference.

Simple Garden Hose...

Yep, even Traxxas recommends using a garden hose, air compressor, etc. to clean your X-Maxx...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN88...&list=WL&index

RC Enthusiast
    Hello, I first pass it with compressed air to remove most of the dirt. Then I use Muc-Off that I apply with a small spray on the whole car (I remove the Lipo and I protect the vario and the sockets a little). And to rinse I use a sprayer of this style with water:

It's economical, not a lot of water and the MucOff product is biodegradable.

And I can easily clean my car after driving and put it in the trunk ...
    Last edited by pleinair37; 10-07-2020 at 10:54 AM.
    François
    Que dieu vous garde moi j'ai pas l'temps