RC Enthusiast

Slash 4x4 HCG Motor/ESC Question/Help

After some debating and searching around I ended up with the castle mmx and 2650kv motor combo for my slash 4x4 HCG. I was expecting to be placing an order shortly after to replace my stock driveshafts. I am running it on a 3s lipo 19/54 gearing, on proline gladiator tires and to say the least I am not very impressed. I changed the BEC to 6v and was the only setting I changed. Traxxas link shows my max speed at 34ish. Does this seem accurate to anyone running the same combo? I guess I was expecting more of a wow factor. Thanks in advance

RC Racer
    Is a throttle limiter there?

Remember that this is a 2650kV motor which replaced a 3500kV motor. You need to gear up to get more speed.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Remember that this is a 2650kV motor which replaced a 3500kV motor. You need to gear up to get more speed.
    so just a gearing issue?

On 3s that motor can be geared up! I think I was running a 21/50 ratio, same motor same 3s. It was wicked quick. I could have geared higher, but that was the sweet spot for fun 3s running and crazy 4s runs.

it's alright son, I'll fix it
    Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by FnFancy View Post
    On 3s that motor can be geared up! I think I was running a 21/50 ratio, same motor same 3s. It was wicked quick. I could have geared higher, but that was the sweet spot for fun 3s running and crazy 4s runs.

Thanks for the reply. Not sure if I read it on this site but I read the 19/54 was the sweet spot and somewhere around 50mph. I was expecting more from the setup from what i was reading. 19T is the biggest I have so I can pick up a few more larger ones. 21T-24T should be good?

I think the setup you were talking about was probably running 2.8 Trenchers or Badlands. Aren’t Gladiators SC tires? They have a smaller diameter and will decrease speed compared to the same system with the 2.8 minster tryck tires.

Quote Originally Posted by 91300zx View Post
    After some debating and searching around I ended up with the castle mmx and 2650kv motor combo for my slash 4x4 HCG. I was expecting to be placing an order shortly after to replace my stock driveshafts. I am running it on a 3s lipo 19/54 gearing, on proline gladiator tires and to say the least I am not very impressed. I changed the BEC to 6v and was the only setting I changed. Traxxas link shows my max speed at 34ish. Does this seem accurate to anyone running the same combo? I guess I was expecting more of a wow factor. Thanks in advance
    That doesn't sound correct! Using the 2400 motor im getting about twenty miles per hour more than that on 3s.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    I think the setup you were talking about was probably running 2.8 Trenchers or Badlands. Arenít Gladiators SC tires? They have a smaller diameter and will decrease speed compared to the same system with the 2.8 minster tryck tires.
    This is true, I believe I was running 1/8 buggy tires on that truck.

Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    That doesn't sound correct! Using the 2400 motor im getting about twenty miles per hour more than that on 3s.
    Yeah, 2400 motors are entertaining on these things. My Sl4sh looked like a UDR that way it squated under throttle even at 40+mph

RC poster
    As El Sob said, something isn't quite right. I have also slash 4x4, with castle 2650kv. Im running Proline MX28s with 18/54 gearing and my top speed on 2S is 61 Km/h (~38mph). Maybe your traxxas link is showing false readings, because honestly, 34mph on 3S is very very poor. I would try to recalibrate the esc to your transmitter to see if that makes any difference.

Good luck!
    Monster Sl4sh HCG w/ HW Max10 SCT|Castle 2650Kv

Quote Originally Posted by Slash4x4CZ View Post
    As El Sob said, something isn't quite right. I have also slash 4x4, with castle 2650kv. Im running Proline MX28s with 18/54 gearing and my top speed on 2S is 61 Km/h (~38mph). Maybe your traxxas link is showing false readings, because honestly, 34mph on 3S is very very poor. I would try to recalibrate the esc to your transmitter to see if that makes any difference.

Good luck!
    In your case, youíre running a tire thatís 128mm at rest and likely balloons up to 160mm at full throttle. With that in mind your setup is right in that 38mph range. The attached link is a great which helps figure out top speed, without taking into account vehicle weight, wind resistance etc.

https://www.radiocontrolinfo.com/inf...ar-calculator/

Here is the calc for your setup.

If I remember correctly, OP is running a belted, reinforced street tire which wonít balloon like your MX28s, hence lower speed but a lot more control and stability.

Just reread OPís original post. Heís running Gladiators which are approx 108mm at rest. If they balloon to 120mm then on 3s with 19/54 gearing youíd be in the 47mph range, not taking weight and wind resistance into account.

In the Traxxas Link vehicle setup page, have you updated it with your 19/54 gearing and 3s battery? Which tire do you have configured?

The app uses these user selectable inputs, and calculates speed from actual RPM, assuming you donít have the Traxxas GPS add on.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by gusd2 View Post
    In the Traxxas Link vehicle setup page, have you updated it with your 19/54 gearing and 3s battery? Which tire do you have configured?

The app uses these user selectable inputs, and calculates speed from actual RPM, assuming you don’t have the Traxxas GPS add on.
    The traxxas setup page does not list the gladiators. And for a previous question yes I believe they are SC tires.

The traxxas setup page does not list the gladiators. And for a previous question yes I believe they are SC tires.
    Exactly. The Gladiator is not an option, so to get your Traxxas Link to show an almost accurate Speed, you must choose a tire from the options Traxxas provides, which are similar in resting diameter and ballooning diameter.

I use Traxxas Link primarily for voltage and motor temp. The speed noted is more of a guideline (as I too am not running Traxxas oem tires) and so I have a Duratrax GPS device which I Velcro to the chassis to accurately indicate top speed.

Hope this helps.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by gusd2 View Post
    In your case, you’re running a tire that’s 128mm at rest and likely balloons up to 160mm at full throttle. With that in mind your setup is right in that 38mph range. The attached link is a great which helps figure out top speed, without taking into account vehicle weight, wind resistance etc.

https://www.radiocontrolinfo.com/inf...ar-calculator/

Here is the calc for your setup.

If I remember correctly, OP is running a belted, reinforced street tire which won’t balloon like your MX28s, hence lower speed but a lot more control and stability.
    I taped inside of my MX28s using gorrila tape and also used fishing line to wrap ir around the wheels so they won't ballon if I do some speed runs. Using this method, my mx28 don't balloon at all even at full throttle 3S passes, let alone 2S.

At first, I thought that calculator can be somewhat usable and accurate, but when I did couple of passes with my cars, I quickly discovered, that this calculator is not a reliable source at all.. Sometimes it shows results way higher that recorded, and sometimes way lower.
    Monster Sl4sh HCG w/ HW Max10 SCT|Castle 2650Kv

If you have telemetry installed in your rig, you can always add the telemetry expander with GPS. With this, you wont have to deal with tires sizes and wheel spin. It uses GPS to track the actual speed of your rig.

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Slash4x4CZ View Post
    I taped inside of my MX28s using gorrila tape and also used fishing line to wrap ir around the wheels so they won't ballon if I do some speed runs. Using this method, my mx28 don't balloon at all even at full throttle 3S passes, let alone 2S.

At first, I thought that calculator can be somewhat usable and accurate, but when I did couple of passes with my cars, I quickly discovered, that this calculator is not a reliable source at all.. Sometimes it shows results way higher that recorded, and sometimes way lower.
    I use the site as a ballpark. The math embedded into it is solid, but it canít account for weight, wind resistance, traction or drivetrain loss.

For speed run rigs, where youíre utilizing a road specific wheel/tire combo, like a 1/8 GRP setup, the site results can come pretty close.

Best setup for accuracy however is Traxxas Telemetry GPS addon or a stand alone GPS device line the one I use from Duratrax.

RC Enthusiast
    Appreciate all the replies. I plan on ordering some more pinions and looking into getting some bigger tires. Will then see what happens. Thanks

RC Enthusiast
    Received a 21t pinion and waiting on a couple more. I did notice the truck was braking extremely hard so I switched the motor direction within the Caslte link app. The truck will now wheelie and has come to life compared to what it was. Still plan on getting some bigger wheels and tires and take it from there. Thanks again for the replies.