Thread: Garage find...

RC poster

Garage find...

I found my Villain EX in my garage rafters in the original box. It has the 3015 ESC no Lipo cut off. Other than Lipo alarms, can I run 2 x 2S Lipo’s in place of the stock battery’s? All in stock form.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Anyone? Just want to know if I can install 2 x2s at 14.8 to a 14.4 ESC without harm to ESC.

You are forgetting something. Fully charged 2s lipo batteries are 8.4v so if you connect both in series you are at 16.8v. Sure a 6-cell nimh will be about the same fully charged but it rapidly decreases in voltage and then maintains a 1.2v/cell charge until discharged. Whereas lipo will slowly decrease.
    You may get around using lipo by installing a resistor to drop the voltage of the lipo. Given the age of the electronics which were probably designed before lipo came out (or at least affordable) I would suspect it would provide a smoke show.
    The Super Derecho

Traxxas Marshal
    I'm quite positive that people have used Li-Po batteries with the E-Maxx version of that ESC; however, DoubleG is correct. I would be leery of using Li-Po packs with that ESC, especially sealed up inside of a boat (regardless of water cooling). The EVX and Titan motors could handle 14 Ni-Mh cells, but things WILL get toasty.

Personally, I'd probably stick with some Ni-Mh packs and call it good. Another concern with Li-Po is the weight. The Villain was designed for use with heavier battery packs. Using lighter packs, in my experience, throws the boat's balance off a bit if you like to play on choppy water.

That said, it's nice to see a Villain EX in such good shape! They're super fun boats, so I hope you can get yours back on the water soon.

Happy boating,

-cooleo

PS: Get rid of those Tamia connectors before they melt!!!
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC poster
    Great advise. I’m so far behind the curve on the ESC, Lipo’s & brushless motors it’s like starting over. So I put 2 x 2s 6000/100c, it ran ok at the local pond slow but ok. The ESC doesn’t have low voltage cut off so I ran it about 5 mins. I see it can’t handle a lot of power a bit more would be nice. I would like to add a brushless system not sure how to go with 2 motor and one ESC.

Traxxas Marshal
    If you wanted to go brushless, you need to install two separate systems (one ESC for each motor); people have done this in the past. Just be aware that you will be pushing the hull beyond the limits of what it was designed for. As such, the handling will be adversely impacted and the boat may be more prone to flipping (especially if you're using lighter weight batteries like Li-Pos).
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

Great find, but I wonder how such a valuable machine could not be used, but simply stored in the garage

RC Racer
    That's so cool wish that was me lol. my dad has a old boat somewhere is a cabinet we need to fix i though paints chipped
    When You Feel Down Send It To The MOON!!

Now, everyone should look in their garages, maybe there will also be amazing finds