RC poster

Nitro Slash 3.3 issues

Iíve got a 7 year old nitro slash, itís on its second 3.3 and Iím having some issues with the new motor after doing a proper break in.

I donít have a heat gun to take temps of the engine, but Iím pretty sure itís running cool enough... I richened up the engine after it started sputtering and falling on its face after 1/2 throttle, and that seemed to help. So I changed the glow plug thinking maybe that might have been some of the issues, but it is still having the same issues. I pulled the head off to make sure there was no issues, and everything is seemingly ok.

It runs great with a full tank of fuel, after about 1/2 tank it starts falling on its face, could it be an air leak in the tank?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

It's certainly possible. The fuel pickup in the tank could have a leak. Do you notice air bubbles in the fuel line when it starts acting up? That would be an indicator. Also check your exhaust for leaks (coupler/pipe itself). That will also cause lean conditions.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    It's certainly possible. The fuel pickup in the tank could have a leak. Do you notice air bubbles in the fuel line when it starts acting up? That would be an indicator. Also check your exhaust for leaks (coupler/pipe itself). That will also cause lean conditions.

So coupler has no leaks, and the only time I noticed air in the fuel line was when it was low on fuel...

I did notice the other day that there was fuel leaking through the glow plug and into the head and bubbling in that area the other day. After I replaced the glow plug I havenít noticed it again though...

I also noticed the frame is bent on the car and the throttle/ brake servo is Broken... which sucks because I just dropped like 120 bucks into rear shocks, front Integy piggy back shocks, rear arms, new front shock mount and new brakes... ugh!

That's how my luck goes also. The glow plug leaking was probably the copper washer (gasket). I've had them deform after being tightened/loosened too many times.

Maybe check the fuel tank cap is still sealing.

I hope you didn't waste $120 on Integy for all those parts. They may look pretty and "strong" but are more like Jason Momoa in the Rocket Mortgage commercial.

IF you didn't take them out of the package, return them. NOW. And get either aluminum shock caps, Big Bore or GTR shocks from the Slash 4x4 Platinum/Ultimate.

As for the leak, make sure the glow plug washer is correctly installed by looking like an upside-down bowl when installed: /------\ as the other way will cause leaks.

Also, it is best to tune at about half a tank so that you are a little rich when full and a little lean when empty rather than just right when full and progressively leaner as it empties.
    Last edited by Double G; 07-10-2020 at 08:34 AM.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    I hope you didn't waste $120 on Integy for all those parts. They may look pretty and "strong" but are more like Jason Momoa in the Rocket Mortgage commercial.

IF you didn't take them out of the package, return them. NOW. And get either aluminum shock caps, Big Bore or GTR shocks from the Slash 4x4 Platinum/Ultimate.

As for the leak, make sure the glow plug washer is correctly installed by looking like an upside-down bowl when installed: /------\ as the other way will cause leaks.

Also, it is best to tune at about half a tank so that you are a little rich when full and a little lean when empty rather than just right when full and progressively leaner as it empties.

Best analogy ever!! 😂🤣

I only got Integy front shocks, so, I guess Iíll see how they hold up.

The washer may have flipped on me, that would make sense 🤔

After about half a tank is when I start noticing issues, Iíll start tuning from there. Thanks!