RC poster

HobbyWing Max10 SCT 3660SL Combo

Looking into this combo to convert my brushed 4x4 Rustler to brushless. My questions are:

1. Anyone else using this in a 4x4 rustler?
    2. With a 5mm bore what pinion should I be using? 11t tra6484x? The traxxas website says this should be used with steel pinion only. Other options that are compatible?
    3. Would I be better off with the 3652SL motor?

Plan to run on 2s.

I'm a noob, so any info/suggestions are welcome.

I didn't run the Max10 Sct/3660SL-3200kv in a rustler, but I did run it in a stampede 4x4. I ran it with 3S only. It was more capable than the vxl-3s/3500kv system, not extremely so, but did run a bit cooler, allowed more power for the servo and more adjustable especially with the program box.

I just used cheap pinions off amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0821L5J29

I can't find where I bought the specific pinion I ran with that motor/esc. I ran a 13T with 54T spur on a center diff using a Fast Lane Machine alloy diff cup with 300K oil in it and trencher 2.8 tires.

I've since changed to a 1/8th setup and will likely be putting in a 20T pinion vs the 19T I have in there now with a 2200kv 4074 motor.

I still have the max10 sct/3200kv. I'm running the esc in a brushless converted jato, but I'm using a hobbystar 3665/3100kv motor.

When I ran 2S, I was fine with the castle sct sv3/3800kv system. With that, I was using the 1/8" shaft, which I busted off somehow. Then I ran 13/52 gearing and the slipper. I tried the center diff with that and it killed my wheelies too much, so I went back to the slipper.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

RC Racer
    I have a Max10 Sct/3660SL-3200kv combo in both my Stampede 4x4 and Slash 4x4.
    I use 2s with a 14 or 15t pinion on my Stampede 4x4 and with a 17t pinion on my Slash.

Traxxas has some 32p 5mm bore pinions

14t - Traxxas 5640
    17t - Traxxas 5643
    18t - Traxxas 5644

Like olds97_lss said, a bigger can motor will run cooler.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    I didn't run the Max10 Sct/3660SL-3200kv in a rustler, but I did run it in a stampede 4x4. I ran it with 3S only. It was more capable than the vxl-3s/3500kv system, not extremely so, but did run a bit cooler, allowed more power for the servo and more adjustable especially with the program box.

I just used cheap pinions off amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0821L5J29

I can't find where I bought the specific pinion I ran with that motor/esc. I ran a 13T with 54T spur on a center diff using a Fast Lane Machine alloy diff cup with 300K oil in it and trencher 2.8 tires.

I've since changed to a 1/8th setup and will likely be putting in a 20T pinion vs the 19T I have in there now with a 2200kv 4074 motor.

I still have the max10 sct/3200kv. I'm running the esc in a brushless converted jato, but I'm using a hobbystar 3665/3100kv motor.

When I ran 2S, I was fine with the castle sct sv3/3800kv system. With that, I was using the 1/8" shaft, which I busted off somehow. Then I ran 13/52 gearing and the slipper. I tried the center diff with that and it killed my wheelies too much, so I went back to the slipper.
    I know I am getting a bit off topic but I am looking for a combo motor - ESC for my Rustler 4x4 VXL that will be able to run 3s at cool temps and perhaps even run 4s and since you mentioned that you have upgraded to a 1/8th setup can you pls tell me which one you chose and if it fit nicely / works well with the Rustler? Thanks in advance!

RC Enthusiast
    Hate to bump an old thread but I just bought a Rusty 4x4 roller and this motor/ESC combo for it. Anyone have any feedback on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Vulgi View Post
    I know I am getting a bit off topic but I am looking for a combo motor - ESC for my Rustler 4x4 VXL that will be able to run 3s at cool temps and perhaps even run 4s and since you mentioned that you have upgraded to a 1/8th setup can you pls tell me which one you chose and if it fit nicely / works well with the Rustler? Thanks in advance!
    Sorry, missed this question.

It probably doesn't matter what you go with as long as it's a somewhat reputable brand. I just used what I had on hand. I had upgraded my outcast to run a max6 vs the blx185 in it (which is a lower end 150A rebadged hobbywing). I put the BLX185 in my stampede along with a motor (tork 2200kv 4074) from my old savage flux (I upgraded it with MMX/2200kv sensored).

I moved the max10 sct to my ejato along with a 3665 3100kv hobbystar motor.

At the moment, I'm contemplating tearing down some old 3S lipo's to build a couple 4S lipo's for the stampede and ejato, since the esc's in both can handle it and I have plenty of new 3S packs for my 6S trucks. I know the tork 4074/2200kv can take 4S no problem and according to the specs, the HS 3665/3100kv can run 4S as well.

I'm not sure what fill fit the easiest in the rustler for you though. Since I'm running a slash HCG chassis on my stampede as well as used the stampede receiver box in the front/center stampede location, I had tons of room for the 1/8th system to drop right in.

Quote Originally Posted by SRCayton View Post
    Hate to bump an old thread but I just bought a Rusty 4x4 roller and this motor/ESC combo for it. Anyone have any feedback on it?
    If you want to run it hard, get a fan for the motor, it tends to run hot on 3S.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks, Olds. I should have mentioned I'll be running 2S. I currently run 2S with a GoolRC 3660/HW 10BL60 in my 2WD Rusty. Just got back into the hobby after 25 years and 2S is good enough for me right now.

Would still be a good idea to get a fan motor, but odds are, the esc will be the warmer of the two on 2S since it will likely pull more amps, unless you keep the gearing conservative.

I'm in the process of going with 4S in my "slampede"... lol!

RC Racer
    I'm also looking at this hobbywing combo as I realized my car does not really pull wheelies after I first start running. I'm using an older VXL 2 pole motor and I'm wondering if the 4x4 drive train will strain this motor too much? I noticed on 3s on a pretty cold day that my motor was too hot to keep my finger on, so I may invest in a fan for now until I can switch to the hobbywing combo.
    rustler vxl " Stealth from below"