Thread: My Maxx

RC poster

My Maxx

First off hello everyone. I'm a beginner in the hobby. I'm still in the process of picking out my first toy but I have it down to either the Traxxas Maxx or XMaxx (of course haha). Like most things in life, you can't just leave things like they are. You want more power, more torque, more RAWRRRR!!! So of course I already have a list started for the Maxx like:
    WideMaxx Suspension Kit
    Maxx Wheelie Bar
    Maxx Suspension Pin Set
    5mm Aluminum Nuts

But my questions are about the guts of the RC. No matter what RC i decide on i know I'm going to My Ride. I was hoping someone could give me a quick rundown/explanation of certain parts of the insides and lead me in the right direction to picking the best part upgrades and what will fit to make a MONSTER. Mainly what to look for in the stats. My brain just goes to bigger is better hahaha.

Batteries: I see there is 4s, 6s, and 8s....what do these mean and what is the biggest and best I can use?

Servo: I know this is for steering...but what do the numbers on the box mean? What am I looking for?

Motor: Is bigger better or is there "to much"? How do I decide on which to pick?

ECU?(I think its called): The part that connects to the battery. What does this do and what am I looking for to choose the best option for my ride?

I think that's all the questions I have at the moment. I'm sure I'll have questions regarding gearing and if that is necessary to change as well at some point.

I'm guessing I'm going to have questions like "well what do you plan to do with your RC?"
    Answer is I want to be prepared for anything. Rocks, dirt road, sand dunes, mud bog, jumping, pavement. If there are any more questions please ask and I'll answer my best. Thanks everyone for explaining this stuff to a newbie ����

*I like your enthusiasm though there is a policy regarding language here and the filter has been tripped. Please keep it clean.*
    Last edited by Double G; 07-10-2020 at 07:44 AM.

RC Champion
    The stock setup will probably keep you smiling
    A few 4s lipo's along with a charger an your set
    The vxl4s esc ,electronic speed control is plenty for beginners
    fabricator

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by MuNchiezzz View Post
    First off hello everyone. I'm a beginner in the hobby. I'm still in the process of picking out my first toy but I have it down to either the Traxxas Maxx or XMaxx (of course haha). Like most things in life, you can't just leave things like they are. You want more power, more torque, more RAWRRRR!!! So of course I already have a list started for the Maxx like:
    WideMaxx Suspension Kit
    Maxx Wheelie Bar
    Wheelie bar is included stock; you don't need another one.

Maxx Suspension Pin Set
    Repair part.

5mm Aluminum Nuts
    Already included.

But my questions are about the guts of the RC. No matter what RC i decide on i know I'm going to My Ride. I was hoping someone could give me a quick rundown/explanation of certain parts of the insides and lead me in the right direction to picking the best part upgrades and what will fit to make a MONSTER. Mainly what to look for in the stats. My brain just goes to bigger is better hahaha.
    Traxxas has already done that with the Maxx. Get it stock and see what you think. If you want to widen it from the outset, why not just get a Kraton or something? The point about the Maxx is that it's a monster truck, not a truggy. They're narrower.

Batteries: I see there is 4s, 6s, and 8s....what do these mean and what is the biggest and best I can use?
    It's how many series cells are in the battery packs. So 4S means 4 series connected cells. 4 x 3.7 V = 14.8 V, etc. Maxx can use max. 4S, and it is ballistic-fast on 4S. This is one area in which bigger usually means better. You want the highest capacity battery that will fit in the battery tray. Many people are modding the battery tray, so they don't have to stick to expensive and relatively low performing Traxxas branded packs.

Servo: I know this is for steering...but what do the numbers on the box mean? What am I looking for?
    Nothing. You get what you get. Use it until it burns out. Just adjust the end points when you get it.

Motor: Is bigger better or is there "to much"? How do I decide on which to pick?
    It comes with a killer motor; don't worry about it. But yes, if you want to upgrade the motor anyway, you'll likely also need a bigger ESC and you'll find it won't fit. Then, the battery will need to be able to supply the bigger motor. Don't go there. Consider this fully upgraded. You'll be shocked how fast it is on 4S. It's hard to control already at 55 mph.

ECU?(I think its called): The part that connects to the battery. What does this do and what am I looking for to choose the best option for my ride?
    ESC = Electronic Speed Control. You don't need to think about this Traxxas already provides one that is a good fit for the motor. It's a good ESC.

I think that's all the questions I have at the moment. I'm sure I'll have questions regarding gearing and if that is necessary to change as well at some point.
    Stock gearing on 3S is already good for 45 mph, which is fast enough. Stock gearing on 4S is good for 55 mph, which is ballistic on a truck this size. Tires will balloon and it becomes hard to control at full throttle even on 3S. Along that line of thinking is that belted tires might be a good upgrade to make it more controllable.

I'm guessing I'm going to have questions like "well what do you plan to do with your RC?"
    Answer is I want to be prepared for anything. Rocks, dirt road, sand dunes, mud bog, jumping, pavement. If there are any more questions please ask and I'll answer my best. Thanks everyone for explaining this stuff to a newbie ����
    Maxx will do all of this, though it is much better off-road than on. Mud bogging will depend on how sticky and deep the mud is, but that's with any RC. Pavement will have you traction rolling unless you're VERY careful with the steering. Steering gets iffy at full speed on pavement anyway, as the tires balloon up from centripital force. Rocks; it will depend on how big they are. It's no crawler, so if you go slow enough over big rocks not to break the truck, you'll be lugging the motor, which isn't good. It's a good all-around monster truck and very fast for a monster truck. Rather than try to make it do everything well, just pick a couple things and accept that it's reasonably good at just about anything.
    -Jeremy
    TRX-4|BL Summit|St4mpede|Aton|Maxx|Slash

Quote Originally Posted by Smaug View Post
    Wheelie bar is included stock; you don't need another one.
    Repair part.
    Already included.
    Wheelie bar is offered in different colors,Pin set set is offered as a hardened upgrade,5mm nuts are offered in different colors also.

Quote Originally Posted by Smaug View Post
    Nothing. You get what you get. Use it until it burns out. Just adjust the end points when you get it.
    They are probably asking what the specs mean. More/higher Torque numbers means it can turn the tires easier. Again Traxxas offers upgrades here too.

FWIW: The OP was asking about the Traxxas Maxx vs Xmaxx as which one they should get and about what upgrades for each.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    FWIW: The OP was asking about the Traxxas Maxx vs Xmaxx as which one they should get and about what upgrades for each.
    I forgot to address that. I have a Maxx now; had an X-Maxx before.

X-Maxx is nice because it is big enough that it rolls over grass very easily without bogging it down as much. However, it requires a lot of room to run. You can't run it reasonably in a small park area. Also, keep in mind that in addition to its $900 price tag, it requires $300 worth of LiPos to run once. Most of us want to have at least two sets. That's a lot of money, you're talking $1500 + a charger.
    -Jeremy
    TRX-4|BL Summit|St4mpede|Aton|Maxx|Slash

Trying to point someone in a "this one" or "that one" is sometimes unfair. Two different class of trucks each have there own pros and cons. Most overlook the additional cost of batteries. It can add up quick and can be that deciding factor.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    Trying to point someone in a "this one" or "that one" is sometimes unfair. Two different class of trucks each have there own pros and cons. Most overlook the additional cost of batteries. It can add up quick and can be that deciding factor.
    Agreed, the batteries were the deciding factor in my decision between a 1/10 Summit and the Rustler 4X4 VXL I ended up with!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk