RC poster

Won't self-right.

I got this car a few weeks ago.

This was my self-righting attempt.

I called Traxxas. They said to try resetting the ESC.

I tried it. It didn't make it any better.

Then they said to try a master reset using the transmitter.

I tried it. It didn't make it any better.

They gave me a RMA and said to ship the car. I'm about to send it tomorrow.

I even asked them to watch that YouTube video, to see if I was doing anything wrong. They said no. They said there might be something wrong with the ESC, and possibly motor.

When it's on its wheels, it seems fast to me.

But they said it should be doing wheelies and backflips easily, almost uncontrollably.

I said I only saw it do a backflip once. Other than that, it just goes forward very fast.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

I need to buy a box, since I already thew mine away. I guess I'll buy it at the UPS store.

I almost have a box, from something else, but there's a tiny square hole in it, from when I had to cut something out. I almost wanted to send it in that box, so I wouldn't have to buy one. But I have a feeling that they won't send it back in that box, because they won't approve, so I'll end up having to pay for a box when they send it back anwyways.
    Last edited by nuraman00; 07-10-2020 at 09:02 PM.

What batteries do you have?

Put car on its back and do full throttle. With charged batteries The tires would turn into pizza cutters. Balloon like crazy

With self righting. Don't use it. You will at some point destroy a diff ring gear. Or break a tire ect.

But in your vids it didn't look like either batteries almost dead. Tires would be ballooning like crazy,

There is a bad batch of the vxl6s ecs on the erevos. Which makes the car always in training 50% power mode. Which is why self righting not working

And I bet you have a bad esc

Test this as well. Put car in training mode and see if car is the same speed. I bet it is. https://youtu.be/BbuESg6r8FM

In which case I think only the esc needs to be sent back. Not the whole car. They may want motor as well.

If your on pavement. And fully pull the trigger right away. The car should just flip right over from all the power

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC poster
    I have 2 3s lipos.

I did try switching between training mode and regular mode last weekend. I couldn't tell much of a difference. But I also only have about 30 feet of straight area in my backyard. So what I would normally do is just go full throttle for about 2 seconds, then either reverse it to stop, or turn 90 degrees where it could continue.

So between regular mode and training mode, it was hard for me to tell if it was at 50%, because I would normally have to stop or change directions in 2 seconds anyways.

After a while, I just wanted to put it in regular mode, because I didn't want to obsess over it. It seemed better in regular mode, and I was happier that way.

I had wanted to try training mode just to see if it looked half as fast, but after a while, I felt like I was going to drive myself nuts thinking about whether it really was 50% as fast, so I stopped.

They wanted the whole car, so that's what I'll be sending.

I'm on my dirt/weeds (which was mowed 2 weeks ago in anticipation of the E-Revo arriving), as shown in that video.

For self-righting, I don't plan to use it much. But it seemed like something simple that should work, which is why I became concerned.

I also tried self-righting inside, and it didn't do it either.

RC poster
    To me, when its on its wheels, it looks fast. But it's not doing wheelies or flips like you, or the Traxxas support people, said it should be doing. I've only seen one backflip.

Welcome to the Traxxas forums!

What batteries are you running? For proper self-righting, you should be running 6S LiPos.

Even if it works, you shouldn’t use that feature very often... it iis very taxing on your drive system.

Just do the walk of shame... it’s cheaper then a trip to the LHS!

Have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Welcome to the Traxxas forums!

What batteries are you running? For proper self-righting, you should be running 6S LiPos.

Even if it works, you shouldn’t use that feature very often... it iis very taxing on your drive system.

Just do the walk of shame... it’s cheaper then a trip to the LHS!

Have fun!

Yep, I'm using 6s LiPos.

Thanks, I won't be using it often. I just wanted it to work once, though, since it seemed like a simple enough test.

That fact that it isn't, is leading some, including Traxxas support, to think that something is wrong.

Try to go to a spot thats big enough to play. Go to road and run it on road. It should going 40 to 50mph out of box.

The test training mode. I almost bet it's just the esc. Is bad.

Then your only having to pay for shipping for the ecs and not shipping on a whole car which is expensive. Unless trx giving you a shipping lable but I doubt that.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    Try to go to a spot thats big enough to play. Go to road and run it on road. It should going 40 to 50mph out of box.

The test training mode. I almost bet it's just the esc. Is bad.

Then your only having to pay for shipping for the ecs and not shipping on a whole car which is expensive. Unless trx giving you a shipping lable but I doubt that.

They gave me a prepaid shipping label.

And there just isn't an area nearby, with a long enough straight area, that I'd like running the car. So that's why I've been doing it in the back yard.
    Last edited by nuraman00; 07-11-2020 at 01:40 AM.

If they sent ya a prepaid label all good. Then. Just didn't want ya to have to a bunch pay to ship it.

RC poster
    If they sent ya a prepaid label all good. Then. Just didn't want ya to have to a bunch pay to ship it.

Yeah, the box is the biggest concern, since I don't have the original box. Usually I keep boxes for a few months. But for this, after my initial run and I verified that it turned on; ran; etc. I didn't think I needed it anymore.

I have another box which is almost good, except for a 2x2 square that I had cut out of it. They probably won't like me sending it in that box.

So I'll have to figure something out when I go to the UPS store soon. Hopefully they have the right size.

RC poster
    That was fast, they replaced it the same day they received it.

++++++++

Notes:
    I replaced the ESC in your truck at no charge. I calibrated the new ESC to your remote and tested with no issues. Thanks for choosing Traxxas.

Quote Originally Posted by nuraman00 View Post
    That was fast, they replaced it the same day they received it.

++++++++

Notes:
    I replaced the ESC in your truck at no charge. I calibrated the new ESC to your remote and tested with no issues. Thanks for choosing Traxxas.
    Hope you get it soon and can be out there having fun!

RC poster
    It was supposed to be delivered today.

It said it was out for delivery.

It wasn't delivered.

I don't know why.

I have to call UPS tomorrow.

When I called them today, they kept saying that the driver had it, and it would still come.

I've had a number of things like that more so large boxes, recently. Know the fustration. They should get it to you tomorrow. If was on truck and never got to you. Driver just ran out of time in the day.

RC poster
    I don't think they do deliveries on Saturdays.

I just hope it's not damaged.

I've had 2 items arrive damaged this week.

Ups does Saturday. But all depends on what category it was shipped as. Worse case there Monday.

Sorry you had some stuff damage.

RC poster
    Ups does Saturday. But all depends on what category it was shipped as. Worse case there Monday.

Sorry you had some stuff damage.

LOL, what does this mean?

I guess it means it's not an envelope?

++++++++++++++

Shipment Category

Package

Service

UPS Ground

You got ground, ground express,. Next day business,. Air, and so on... each all have their own delivery commitments. It should pop up in tracking in morning what next delivery day is.

My FedEx ground for my Rc ramps where to get dropped on Saturday.. tracking location said it never left the regional hub Friday. it wouldn't tell me untill Monday morning early when it was to be delivered again on tracking. Which ended up being Monday..

My sound bar last month. Took a extra 2 wks for Amazon to finally ship it. Past 2 delivery dates that Amazon said it would be delivered on... Was to be on a Friday And ups driver never got to deliver it on Friday. Sat. I was watching the truck all day from the tracking package and where truck was at in town.. About 730p it tells me it's in the area. Then I see the truck drive past and pull into church parking lot next door. 20 mins later still there. So I walk up and guy was just on his break and trying to see if anyone available to take the churches delivery's and I was his next stop. They have been pretty swamped way more packages than normal due to covid. It's like it's Xmas time.. but without the extra help.

Anything anything oversized and over a set weight tends to get bumped some. And truck doesn't get loaded right via the route they get often as well. More so if oversized or odd shaped. And buried in truck So sometimes they gotta skip a package and hope to get it on the next days run.

I know it a exercise in patience when you just wanna go play with it once it's delivered.

RC poster
    I tried the car with the new ESC.

It still wouldn't really self-right, but it's much different than before. Before, it was barely getting off the ground.

Now, when I try to self-right, it actually jumps a bit off the ground.

While it still didn't do it, I could see this was a big difference, so as far as that was concerned, I was satisfied.

Then, when I tried the car in its normal position, I could see what the representative meant that it should be doing wheelies easily, almost as if it has too much power.

Yes, when I hit the throttle for forward, that's what was happening. I had to not go full throttle, unlike before.

In some ways, I liked how it was before, but this is a learning experience too.

However, after 5-7 minutes, the V light on the ESC started blinking fast, and the car stopped responding. I looked up what meant.

Page 18-19:

https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...-OM-EN-R06.pdf

Over voltage.

I disconnected the battery, and connected it again.

It went into over voltage within 1 minute.

Why is this happening?

I guess another call to Traxxas on Monday. Sigh.

First off...please for the love of your driveline...stop trying to use self righting...you are going to destroy your diffs or spur gear. It is a feature that seems cool...but causes way more damage then its worth. What brand battery are you running, what is their discharge rate and so on.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by RICK DIZZLE View Post
    First off...please for the love of your driveline...stop trying to use self righting...you are going to destroy your diffs or spur gear. It is a feature that seems cool...but causes way more damage then its worth. What brand battery are you running, what is their discharge rate and so on.
    I only used self-righting the first day I tried the car, just as a way to test the features.

I hadn't had any reason for concern before that.

But when it didn't appear to be doing what I thought it should, I started contacting Traxxas.

Through their trouble shooting suggestions, I tried it another 2-3 times, before sending in the car.

They said the ESC was bad and replaced it.

I got the car back.

I tried 1-2 times, just to see if the issue was resolved. Seeing as it behaved much differently than before, I was satisfied. As I noted above.

So in total, I probably did it 6-8 times, and it was only because I was trying to test some basic features of the car.

I don't intend to actually use it.

And some good came out of it. Because I didn't think there was anything wrong with my car when I drove it normally.

I would have gone on with my old ESC, thinking that's how it was supposed to be. (Not doing any wheelies or flips). I thought what I had seen was normal, because I hadn't experienced anything like this car before.

It was only after I called Traxxas about the self-righting, that they asked me about normal usage. They asked me if it did any wheelies. I said no. They said it should easily be doing wheelies. I hadn't known that.

I mean, I had spent hours watching videos before purchasing the car, but it didn't really sink in that it should be doing those just by going full throttle.

As for the battery brand, I have official 11.1 V batteries that came with this pack.

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/2990

What cell voltage do you have? If you think it's in over voltage?

It could just be lvc stage 2. And battery dead. And needing charge.

Slope blinking vs fast... Without seeing either one happens hard to say. I think lvc stage 2 says blinks so. But it's more than 1x a sec.

Knowing what your cell voltage is will tell you over over voltage or if needs a charge

RC poster
    What cell voltage do you have? If you think it's in over voltage?

It could just be lvc stage 2. And battery dead. And needing charge.

Slope blinking vs fast... Without seeing either one happens hard to say. I think lvc stage 2 says blinks so. But it's more than 1x a sec.

Knowing what your cell voltage is will tell you over over voltage or if needs a charge

The batteries I have are supposed to be 11.1V.

Do you mean what the actual voltage on the batteries, right now is, using a voltmeter? I don't have a voltmeter.

The car is supposed to be able to handle those batteries, right?

I'll try to call Traxxas tomorrow and see what they say.

Yes, the blinking looked like it was more than 1x a second, so that's why I thought it was fast.

According to the manual, lvc stage 2 is supposed to be slow blinking. It doesn't give a reference as to how slow or fast the blinking is supposed to be, for fast vs. slow.

Your charger should be able to tell you what voltage is on each cell. As full charge is 4.20v. And I think trx lvc stage 2 is at 3.5v. once measured it may be more like 3.6. as it seems the voltage under load. And it will rise some with no load.

RC poster
    Your charger should be able to tell you what voltage is on each cell. As full charge is 4.20v. And I think trx lvc stage 2 is at 3.5v. once measured it may be more like 3.6. as it seems the voltage under load. And it will rise some with no load.

Where on this charger does it give an indication of the voltage on each cell?

I called Traxxas. They said a slow blink is about 1x a second, and a fast blink is about 2x a second.

I'm not sure which of these it really was anymore. But I'll try charging the batteries.

I had just wanted clarification from them about what the different blink speeds were, before I tried anything, so that's why I called.

Where on this charger does it give an indication of the voltage on each cell?

I called Traxxas. They said a slow blink is about 1x a second, and a fast blink is about 2x a second.

I'm not sure which of these it really was anymore. But I'll try charging the batteries.

I had just wanted clarification from them about what the different blink speeds were, before I tried anything, so that's why I called.
    I would go get a cheap digital multimeter. It's a handy tools to have. More someone with continuity testing.

Not entirely sure how to probe the iD connectors.

Normally if hit lvc stage 2 you have steering but will be weaker than normal. And car will not go forward or backwards.

My guess is that it was this vs over voltage. I've never had over voltage so no idea if you would have steering or not .

RC poster
    I would go get a cheap digital multimeter. It's a handy tools to have. More someone with continuity testing.

Not entirely sure how to probe the iD connectors.

Normally if hit lvc stage 2 you have steering but will be weaker than normal. And car will not go forward or backwards.

My guess is that it was this vs over voltage. I've never had over voltage so no idea if you would have steering or not .

I looked into a multimeter a few months ago, but couldn't decide what to do get. Do you have a recommendation on a specific model?

I looked into a multimeter a few months ago, but couldn't decide what to do get. Do you have a recommendation on a specific model?
    For RC car type stuff any $10 to $20 cheapo will do the trick.

Fluke is probably the best name brand one you can get. But most expensive. I See a fluke-101 for 45 on Amazon.

Kline is decent as well.

It all depends on what features, like capacitor or diode checks, how high of voltage and amps you need to measure. how accurate you need it to be. This will make it more expensive. Some run into the 100s to 1000 of $

I have several cheapos

Klein ToolsElectrical Test Kit
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-To...9149/204367271 is one I have. As I use the outlet and pen tester often as well. Lives in my work tool box for a job set I need a dmm on occasion. Got it since I needed a dmm and outlet tester for work and left my other ones at home and just got the cheapest home depot had.

I have a craftsman one I keep on work bench I think i got as a gift.

Then I have a little slim one that is about the size of a pack of playing cards but half as thick. And that one stays in my Rc tool box. I forget the brand of it. No idea where I got it from. But enjoy the small size. But doesn't measure amps.

RC poster
    What was the outcome of this?

Quote Originally Posted by TonySutton View Post
    What was the outcome of this?
    Op warranty exchanged esc. Think charging his batteries made the car worked. As my guess if didn't would of posted back.

RC Racer
    Just throwing this out there and this is feedback from an Xmaxx owner. He says he NEVER uses self-righting anymore because he would constantly blow tires. For whatever that's worth. I don't know how much it plays into other models as he didn't have experience with them.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Spechal View Post
    Just throwing this out there and this is feedback from an Xmaxx owner. He says he NEVER uses self-righting anymore because he would constantly blow tires. For whatever that's worth. I don't know how much it plays into other models as he didn't have experience with them.
    I can attest to one tire using this feature. I stopped after that.