RC poster

Slayer Pro 4x4 is pulling ahead on idle

Hi, we (me and my son) are new to the scene with two NITRO trucks (Slayer and Revo) and so crazy about them!!! We also love the trouble they come with - expecially when we can solve them Anyway, the Slayer seems to be pulling ahead at all times, needs to be stopped with brakes at all times. We are not sure what's is of out of adjustment here?

Have you tried to lower the idle?

RC poster
    We adjusted the high speed needle and low speed needle. Not the idle screw as yet! We are on it just now, will be back to you!!!

I've set the idle and forgotten about it. Tune with a hot engine and around half a tank and confirm there is a genuine 3-4 seconds at the pinch test. Don't automatically think you need to lean the LSN - you may need to richen it.
    The Super Derecho

As Double G said the LSN if set lean would also cause the high idle. I rarely need to touch the idle or the LSN, when doing my day to day tuning. If I do it isn't more than 1/8 of a turn.

RC poster
    Well, we tried to adjust the IDLE SPEED SCREW but it didn't seem to help with car pulling away. What is the proper procedure for ISS adjustment? Manual says to turn HSN 4 turns from closed, LSN 1.5-1.75 turn from closed - what is the proper position for ISS? Idle rpm seems to be much lower than on our other Nitro car (all factory settings) and fumes got really smelly/thick.

Factory idle: .7mm-1mm air gap on slide. https://traxxas.com/support/Factory-...-25-25R-and-33

RC poster
    Thanks a lot! Konrad set the IDLE for 1mm using paper clip and caliper (its about this wide) and what an improvement! Engine sounds much nicer (less angry) and car pulls forward much less now. Still does tho, we will test it further this evening

RC poster
    Here comes another question - will this petcock work on our cars?
    What shut off valve do you guys recommend?
    https://www.amazon.com/Inline-Fuel-S...AMCZ1G56&qty=2

That's too big. Just use your finger and thumb to pinch the line to shut the engine down. Or the red clip it came with stock. Don't leave fuel left over in the tank as it absorbs moisture from the air.
    The Super Derecho

I use the red clip. The red clip can also be squeezed together enough to act as a shut off valve and only allow fuel to go through when released from the locked position.

RC poster
    Thank you guys, we wanted to go for shut down switches because Slayer engine would seem to run away when the car got stuck at times and then running to it on feet and then grabbing the red clip... and holding squeezed would take forever. Now Im realizing that using that metal shutdown wouldn't really speed up anything, the fule after it needs to burn anyway

Killer RC makes a remote shut off. killerrc.com/bumble-bee-nitro-kill-switch

They even show it installed in a revo chassis.

RC poster
    Thank you grizzly for the link and the idea, its a bit on expensive side for now!
    Here is another question that arised - is this red colored piston and liner a sign of engine overheatnig?
    We got the 3.3 (in Revo) to 440F for a short time while running in the grass in out park
    Anyway, Konrad decided to pull the "head" (radiator) to see whats inside - thats why we running NITRO, so he can work on them!
    Let us know, the other engine is not red inside

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13zr...ew?usp=sharing
    2020 NITRO Slayer Pro 4x4
    2020 NITRO Revo 3.3

Access denied.
    The Super Derecho

LoL. Never seen red like that before. It's hard to tell if it's a coating or the piston is red. Picture is not the greatest. I know from sitting (storage) you can get a varnish looking gunk inside. But that looks different. What does the cylinder look like? Also what fuel are you using?

RC poster
    It turned out to be just a coating and came off after scraping it with WD40 and Starting Fluid.
    The cylinder/liner turned out not to be red like we though, but has a glazing/mirror in the upper part.
    We are using Traxxas Top Fuel 20%.
    And yes, you right - it wasn't gunky, it was a thin red coating on the piston crown
    We'll be monitoring this situation LOL
    Again, thank you guys for the prompt response, like always!
    2020 NITRO Revo 3.3

RC poster
    Double G, we changed the access to the picture
    2020 NITRO Revo 3.3

I can see it now. You want a nice light caramel coloring of the piston - like a Cinnabon cinnamon roll.
    The Super Derecho