RC Qualifier

Help with street suspension setup

Hey, was hoping you could all help me with my street suspension setup. As I was replacing some parts today I noticed the rear of the truck has been hitting the asphalt under hard acceleration. The RPM bumper mount and screw were melted. Two questions for street suspension setup so the rear doesn't hit the ground:

1) Which hole should my rear shocks be in? Which is considered the #1 hole? The one closest to the motor or closest to the wheel?

2) How should I setup my ProLine PowerStrokes? Should I turn them so there is a lot of gray showing at the top so the black spring is compressed or the other way around? I have 30 weight Losi shock oil in it now.

Thanks everyone.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    The 30 WT oil is too thin, and the rear springs are too soft. You hit the gas and the rear end slams into the ground. This is not too bad for off road, but on road it is very bad as you have found.

If your driving street only, you will need much thicker oil in all 4 shocks. Maybe in the 60 to 80 WT range. This will slow the rear of the car dropping.

You will also need stiffer(prob the stiffest proline springs) springs to match the heavier oil. The springs need to be stronger to push the piston through the heavier oil. This will stop the car from hitting bottom.

The adjusters on the shocks are for setting ride height only. That adjustment doesn't make the springs stiffer. Adjust it so the chassis is as low to the ground as you can without it bottoming out.

If your gonna be driving on and off road also, put 50wt in and go to a slightly stiffer spring. This will reduce the bottoming out, but still let you run rough terrain with decent handling.

Most on road cars run their shocks more vertical for linear shock response. Most off road cars run their shocks inclined towards the shock tower, for more progressive jump and bump handling results.

Suspension setup is a trial and error thing. Especially when completely changing the terrain the car runs on.
    Last edited by rag6; 07-12-2020 at 10:09 PM.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    The 30 WT oil is too thin, and the rear springs are too soft. You hit the gas and the rear end slams into the ground. This is not too bad for off road, but on road it is very bad as you have found.

If your driving street only, you will need much thicker oil in all 4 shocks. Maybe in the 60 to 80 WT range. This will slow the rear of the car dropping.

You will also need stiffer(prob the stiffest proline springs) springs to match the heavier oil. The springs need to be stronger to push the piston through the heavier oil. This will stop the car from hitting bottom.

The adjusters on the shocks are for setting ride height only. That adjustment doesn't make the springs stiffer. Adjust it so the chassis is as low to the ground as you can without it bottoming out.

If your gonna be driving on and off road also, put 50wt in and go to a slightly stiffer spring. This will reduce the bottoming out, but still let you run rough terrain with decent handling.

Most on road cars run their shocks more vertical for linear shock response. Most off road cars run their shocks inclined towards the shock tower, for more progressive jump and bump handling results.

Suspension setup is a trial and error thing. Especially when completely changing the terrain the car runs on.
    This is a lot of good info. Thanks. Does ProLine even sell stiffer shock springs for their Powerstroke shocks?

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Not cheap...
    https://www.ebay.com/p/2254274790

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Not cheap...
    https://www.ebay.com/p/2254274790

Thanks.............

RC Qualifier
    I should have mentioned my Slash is heavy. It's got an 8 cell 9.4v NiMh battery which is a brick compared to LiPo batteries. Having said that, what oil and springs do you recommend now?

Easy way is to pick up a set of X0-1 shocks from a chop shop!

Have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

I would still recomend in the same range. You will have to fine tune the spring preload and oil weights, but if your not in competition, it's not gonna be too hard to get it in the ballpark.

Important part is, when making a big jump in oil weight, you need to jump up the stiffness of the springs too. If not the chassis will sag, and tend to stay too close to the ground

RC Qualifier
    Thanks everyone. Sounds like an LCG with heavier oil and springs are the next step.

The x01 shocks would be a good option, as they already are tuned more for the street. X01 is bigger and heavier, so a slightly softer spring and oil may be needed to offset the lighter weight. Maybe not. But it should be closer to ballpark than off road tuned shocks.

RC Qualifier
    So I ordered this stiffer spring set for my PL PowerStrokes: https://www.ebay.com/p/2254274790

Is there a stiffer spring set for my Traxxas Big Bores on my other car?