RC Qualifier

Mini XO-1 based truggy build

So I am in the middle of building an XO-1 with the tried and true xl x + tp power 4070cm combo, which means the Poseidon 1527 1500kv motor I originally got wasnít doing anything, so I looked around and decided to stuff some of the xo-1 parts into a Rustl4r chassis I had sitting around. The diffs, drive shafts, bearing carriers and caster blocks, and hexes are all straight from a second xo-1 parts car that I have as a spare. Yay for traxxas parts sharing.

The almost off the shelf solution for esc mounting is the rpm esc cage for mamba monster 2/x for revo, where a quick drilling of two holes and 5mm spacer allows three screws to anchor the base cage to the Rustl4r bulkhead, I got the idea after seeing a YouTube video from exocagedrc.

Eventually will get an smc or other 6s battery for it but Iím sure it will run fine on my pile of 4s lipos, running extremely cool since the motor is designed for 8s.

Anyway itís a build in progress, I have some qs8 connectors coming for the esc, I have some ripple killer cap packs but donít think I will use it here since the pinion maxes out at 23t for 32p without the motor going overhead mount, but then you canít bash it very much. I will also paint a 2wd rustler body to use with traditional body posts, since this esc mounting method renders the front tower too close for the clip less body.

RC Racer
    That's a wild build. Looks like fun.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks!

I thought about the motor and decided that the 1527 is meant for 6-8s and is underutilized here, so I switched it out for a 1521 motor. The beauty of the 1521 is that it is designed for 6s yet maxes out at the same theoretical power of 3900w peak, 2000w continuous as the 1527, so even if I ran 4s, it is not under driving it by too much and the faster rev should utilize the limited pinion size better. Plus the space vacated by the slightly shorter can may come in handy in case I need to squeeze in a 6s cap pack in there for 6s use

Speaking of which, turns out you can stuff af least a 26t 32p pinion in these lcg chassis, here it’s 26/47 and still clears the rear and the motor mount. Thank goodness for cheaper and more compact 32p/.8mod pinions.

Last edited by TwoBelugas; 07-13-2020 at 10:08 PM.

Looks good! The most gears I fit into my LCG Slash 4x4 was 25/31 Mod1. At least I think it was a 31... been a while since I’ve opened it up.

Have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Looks good! The most gears I fit into my LCG Slash 4x4 was 25/31 Mod1. At least I think it was a 31... been a while since I’ve opened it up.

Have fun!
    Thanks for the info. Was 25/31 with a 40mm can or 36mm can?

40mm. This was with my old Traxxas 2200kV motor.

It barely fit.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    40mm. This was with my old Traxxas 2200kV motor.

It barely fit.
    I can work with barely.

By barely fit, I had to drop the pinion gear in next to the spur before mounting it to the motor. You have to put the motor in place before tightening the grub screw onto the motor shaft. The mesh was just about perfect. Good thing too because the motor can barely move to adjust!

RC Racer
    Crazy build, looking forward to see the comlete look.

RC Qualifier
    Here is the completed product. Looks rather like my blue 2wd FLM rustler build, ride height is low since the Hoons tires are the same diameter as grp 1/8 tires, so it will sit higher with buggy tires or if I moved the lower shock mounts to the inner holes on the a arms.

A quick spin on the street shows it does scoot quite well on 4s. The only 6s battery I have is the smc v2 graphe battery for speed runs so it is very tall, I need to convert the battery hold downs to straps to use it.

Last edited by TwoBelugas; 08-02-2020 at 09:32 PM.

Looks great!

Have fun!