RC poster

XO-1 shocks on stampede 4x4?

Has anyone ever turned their stampede 4x4 into a street truck? I am going to, but can't decide what shocks I want to use. I need shorter stiffer shocks. Theoretically, would Traxxas xo-1 shocks work? Also, is the vxl upgrade worth it? Also also, what are some good on-road tires that would fit? Preferably slicks. Thank you!

I don't know about the XO-1 shocks. I have never worked with them but I bet a set of 4 Slash 4x4 front GTX shocks would work well and bolt up with 2 front Slash 4x4 shock towers. I have never done it but with little modifications it should work.

Or you could just run stock suspension with shock travel limiters, stiffer springs, and heavier shock fluid. Kind of a cheaper with more work method.

I just did the VXL upgrade to my son's Brushed Stampede 4x4 but I only did the center drive shaft, motor & ESC. He likes it and the system is only warm from 2s use.

As for tires I wouldn't suggest slicks because unless you are on a track just simple dirt and debris makes you lose traction. I use 2 different tires for on road bashing. Both are Duratrax - Banditos ST and Picket ST. Stadium Truck tires tend to me low profile giving nice on road handling. Banditos have a flat, fatter lug for higher traction on hard surfaces. While the Picket has a shallow, smaller lugs with more space between allowing for light off road use also. These are not likely the best but they are cheaper than many and road tires wear out faster.

RC Racer
    The XO-1 uses 4 shocks with the same lenght, a Stampede has 2 shorter shocks in front and 2 longer shocks in the rear.
    The XO-1 uses a the same shock tower front and rear (6839X), the Stampede has different shock towers front and rear.

If you use the XO-1 shocks on your Stampede, you'll have to tweak your shocks and/or your shock towers.

I tried Slayer shocks on a Stampede-based project (not finished).
    The're the same (size) as the XO-1 shocks with very stiff springs. I changed the piston and the springs to make the suspenion softer.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by StijnH View Post
    The XO-1 uses 4 shocks with the same lenght, a Stampede has 2 shorter shocks in front and 2 longer shocks in the rear.
    The XO-1 uses a the same shock tower front and rear (6839X), the Stampede has different shock towers front and rear..
    Not sure if they made a running change at some point but the xo-1 front tower is now different than the rear, part number 6440

https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...20Assembly.jpg

When I put mine together earlier this year, the front shocks are slightly shorter than the rear ones, I assume they put shock shaft spacers in the body at the factory.

I put a set of xo-1 shocks on the slash 4x4 and as long as one puts the rear ones on one of the inner most shock mount holes on the a arm, and the front the outer most, it actually works out okay.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    Not sure if they made a running change at some point but the xo-1 front tower is now different than the rear, part number 6440

https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...20Assembly.jpg
    You are right, they are different
    front = # 6440
    rear = # 6839X

The description of # 6839X is "Shock tower, front, 7075-T6 aluminum (blue-anodized)".
    It's an optional part for the Slash 4x4, Stampede 4x4 ....

I guess the description confused me.