RC Enthusiast

Question Servo / steering issues

Pictures here: https://imgur.com/a/kwqH0sd

My trusty Summit is around 5 years old now, and ran without a single darn issue for around 4 of those years. But last summer, the Esc started smoking quite violently after I took it out on some rock crawling near the ocean (far from any salt water of course).

So I bravely ran towards it and ripped the batteries out, thinking more about the truck than myself, haha. Love that thing. Anyway, the Esc smelled rancid for weeks after that, so I naturally ordered a new one. I also ordered a new steering servo - Traxxas brushless servo (2255) - (because I figured the servos might have been working against eachother, causing the Esc to fail. The store said I only needed one of those to replace the 2 crappy stock ones. They also said it didn't require any modifications to run with a single servo.

Eventually I summoned the will to install the new Esc and servo, but it didn't work. At first I couldn't get the wheels centered. Steering also didn't work right, since it only went all the way to the right, but maybe only 40% to the left. So I gave up, and bought a Slash 4x4 Ultimate instead and had fun with that for a while.

But nothing beats the versatility of the Summit, and after 5 years I still haven't gotten sick of it. Not even remotely as happy with the Slash. It's just too low to the ground. Anyway; so I had a friend take a look, and we managed to at least center the wheels. But the same issue persists - only turns maybe 40% of max to the left, and all the way to the right. He did suggest that I might have to install a high voltage kit though (BEC I think?).

Now, I've actually given up on fixing this, so I ordered a brand new Summit today (in a lovely orange color), and will use old one for spare parts, most likely. But in case I want to try going the single servo route again, I'd love some input from Summit owners who have done this successfully on their own Summits. The servo was pretty expensive, so the thought of just letting it sit and rot vexes me.

Edit: I left one of the old servos in the truck, and just cut the cable from the servo to the Esc (obviously removed cable from the box).

TLDR: how to run Summit with single steering servo?
    Last edited by Sehnsucht; 07-16-2020 at 05:59 AM.

Did you center the servo before installing the servo arm?

You need to center the steering trim on your controller. Then turn on the servo (radio). This will center the servo. With the servo centered then put your servo arm on at around the 7(or 90) how it shows in the manual. It doesn't need to be an exact 7, because you are only running one servo. Now that the servo arm is centered you can hook everything back up.
    Last edited by grizzly03; 07-16-2020 at 09:19 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    Did you center the servo before installing the servo arm?

You need to center the steering trim on your controller. Then turn on the servo (radio). This will center the servo. With the servo centered then put your servo arm on at around the 7(or 90) how it shows in the manual. It doesn't need to be an exact 7, because you are only running one servo. Now that the servo arm is centered you can hook everything back up.
    Hmm, that sounds promising. I didn't try turning it on without the arm attached. So any idea whether I need a BEC kit? And does it look right otherwise, in the pictures?

Servo looks good otherwise. A BEC isn't going to help if the servo was never centered before installing the arm. A BEC is for power, it doesn't make a servo turn past its limits. When a servo is not centered it could already be near its limit in one direction as you describe.

RC Enthusiast
    Well, whaddya know. Thanks to your tip, the issue was fixed. After one year of gathering dust, it runs again. To top it off, on the same day I got the new Summit. And, to put a cherry on top of that, the brand new Summit broke after 5 mins of driving... The gear switch servo stopped working. So I guess I'm returning that one and see if I can get a refund instead of a new truck (no way in **** am I wrenching on a brand new car due to a factory fault).

Long story short; thanks! Just wish I had asked here sooner, haha.