RC poster

2 wd or 4x4 for a newbie

Hey guys, I'm just getting into the hobby and was wondering about 2wd vs 4x4 for starting out.
    I will be primarily running a track in my back yard.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks again,

Monch.

RC Champion
    What type of surface will the track be made of?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

RC poster
    The soil is very clay like. so it would be pretty hard packed but not completely smooth.

A 2wd would do fine on that type of surface. It really depends on your driving style.

Here is a (simplified) summary of their main differences:

2wd:
    - slides around more, which may require better driving skills (rwd oversteers if you really push on the throttle when turning, fwd tends to understeer when you do the same thing)
    - only two wheel braking (rwd have rw braking, fwd has front braking, and fwd usually have better braking than rwd)
    - Less parts, so is generally easier to work on, and less things can go wrong with it
    - Usually costs less

4wd:
    - slides around less, so easier to control (still can spin out if you really push on the throttle, but it tends to understeer more than oversteer)
    - 4 wheel braking (much more improved braking compared to their 2wd counterparts)
    - More parts, may require more maintenance and work, perhaps more things can go wrong
    - Usually costs more

I would recommend a 2wd for most beginners, since it is easier to work on, and more reliable. It also offers a much more exciting driving experience, since it is more reactive. (It's also better if you are on a budget). However, if you want the increased stability in cornering and braking, then go with the 4wd.
    Last edited by RCWilly; 07-16-2020 at 08:27 PM.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Enthusiast
    I bought my 2WD back in May and have all manner of terrain on my land.
    Since purchasing it I've installed Traxxas Pro Level shock absorbers, a T6 aluminum bellcrank and a Velineon 3350R VXL-3s system.
    It runs and handles like hot stink but my 12 year old son can still smoke me once the terrain smoothes out with his 4x4 Slash.
    For me; the 2WD is like having a hot and wild girlfriend whilst the 4x4 is more of a practical yet somewhat untamed girl-next-door.
    JMHO

I bought my truck knowing i wouldnt be racing it. I bought the 2wd short course slash. The ready to run one.

The terrain i drive on and style of driving i have, I wouldve been so much better off and had way more fun with 4x4. If you plan on going up a hill or driving on loose dirt, 2wd is near useless. Very unstable without the traxxas stability system. I kick myself in the butt daily for buying 2wd.

RC Qualifier
    I would say if you're getting into the hobby but unsure how long you might be into it go with the less upfront costly 2wd. If you enjoy it and want to step up go for the 4x4. I have had close to 50 different trucks in the past 5 years. 75% have been 2wd, I believe they are more fun to drive. I have 2wd and 4x4 in both SCT, desert/trophy trucks, drag cars and a 2wd rock racer.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

If I were to start over, hands down on a 4x4. I didn't start out driving mine like I stole it breaking stuff, that came over time, still being somewhat cautious as to unnecessarily breaking stuff. 4x is definitely easier to drive, and if you have any rock crawler terrain near you, gear it down and trail run it. Don't knock it until you try it, I haven't driven fast in over 2 years now. I have never been a "track guy", preferring desert racing terrain (UDR type stuff as seen in their videos) over clay. I suppose you could remove the front axles by popping the U joints at the wheels and have a 2x if you were bent on having that. Surely someone has done that before.

I trail run with my 2wd often and its all over the place side to side and what not. 4wd would help tremendously with that sort of thing. But maybe TSM would be helpful too for the 2wd. But to buy another transmitter and receiver and all the telemetry stuff would run a good 200$ or more. I already got 500$ or more in upgrades so another couple hundred for telemetry wouldn't hurt.. Just hard to comprehend haha. And like MAC FAB said, you could easily just buy the 4wd and take out the front axles leaving the stubs so itd be 2wd when you want it. Fairly easy task to do as well too.

I WISH I WOULDVE BOUGHT 4WD

RC Competitor
    I bought the 4wd in May and it has been a blast. 4 wheel drifting on the HS track and seeing how fast I cam make it go..
    If it gets a little too loose or I have a new driver I cant turn on TSM a little.

Now I want a 2wd but only to make a drag car. Whatever you choose, you will have lots of options to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by Calebs0615 View Post
    I trail run with my 2wd often and its all over the place side to side and what not. 4wd would help tremendously with that sort of thing. But maybe TSM would be helpful too for the 2wd. But to buy another transmitter and receiver and all the telemetry stuff would run a good 200$ or more. I already got 500$ or more in upgrades so another couple hundred for telemetry wouldn't hurt.. Just hard to comprehend haha. And like MAC FAB said, you could easily just buy the 4wd and take out the front axles leaving the stubs so itd be 2wd when you want it. Fairly easy task to do as well too.

I WISH I WOULDVE BOUGHT 4WD
    You don't need all the telemetry bells and whistles. Just get the Tx/Rx w/ TSM for $120.

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/t...traxxaslink2ch

Have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

Wait, thats literally ALL i need? Like i buy that receiver and transmitter and i have the stability system? The telemetry sensors are just for temps, rpm, voltage, ect.. Right?

RC Qualifier
    Wait, thats literally ALL i need? Like i buy that receiver and transmitter and i have the stability system? The telemetry sensors are just for temps, rpm, voltage, ect.. Right?
    That is correct.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Well. I also just realised you can trade in your old equipment. I can trade in my transmitter and receiver for that one for 67.50$

EDIT:I wish I'd have remembered that before i bought my vxl3s system haha. Oh well. I have a spare motor and esc now.
    Last edited by Calebs0615; 07-17-2020 at 01:58 PM.

You can get it for cheaper at Jennys and keep your current system for something else:
    https://jennysrc.com/products/2chtsm...27b0002e&_ss=r

Well look at that. Thank you. Is jennysrc reputable?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    You can get it for cheaper at Jennys and keep your current system for something else:
    https://jennysrc.com/products/2chtsm...27b0002e&_ss=r
    DAAAAAAANG! I think I'm going to score on one of these for a vehicle that needs a radio and transmitter. Funny thing is, I have two different Spektrum radios for my race vehicles, but the Traxxas radios fit my big hands the best and I find them the most comfortable.

RC Champion
    Well look at that. Thank you. Is jennysrc reputable?
    Yes, Jenny's RC is reputable. No worries about buying from them. I bought parts and they were delivered quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by MaXDee View Post
    Yes, Jenny's RC is reputable. No worries about buying from them. I bought parts and they were delivered quickly.

Thank you. I bought one and to the other guy. There was only 2 left before i bought mine so ya better hop on it!!!

EDIT:You are the other guy haha im sorry!
    Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

Almost everything on there website is soldout by the way. But everything is supppeerr cheap.

If you want anything there, keep watching daily. Items cone and go by there often.

Ill be sure to do that. It must be the wholesale parts or something cause they are dirt cheap. Thank you!

RC Qualifier
    Ill be sure to do that. It must be the wholesale parts or something cause they are dirt cheap. Thank you!

Actually , I believe they are “kit breakers “ they buy RTRs new and part them out .
    Yes to second above responses they are VERy reputable and can be downright cheap on some items but their selection is always hit or miss so check their stock often if you are interested in a certain item.

RC Qualifier
    get the 2wd with TSM and you ll be set, or a gyro , it really helps with handling if you start adding more power later on

RC Enthusiast
    little 2 cents here... 2wd... if you learn on the 2wd you will build sharper skills quickly because they take more of your input to keep him in the cut. But that's the fun part (for me) More exciting when it gets nutty. Just MHO tho. So much less to break and maintain also. Get good driving a 2wd and you will really crush it when you do end up getting that 4wd. And you will get that 4wd... lol

But it's really all depending on what you want to do with it... what terrain and what not. Bashing or racing, loose dirt or pavement pounding. Keeping my 2wd steady on the track at the local clubhouse is quite challenging and really fun for me. Making it all the way around the track without rolling has become a personal life goal (lol) and when I do make it around without the ol' tumble whumble it is really gratifying.

Jimmy
    Last edited by JimmyJFlyer; 08-11-2020 at 08:33 PM.

RC Racer
    If you drive it like you stole it and have to fix it, 2wd VXL all the way. I can't imagine the work I would need to put in after a day at the skate park with 4wd.