RC poster

New LIPO Battery = Motor smoking ! Slash 2WD

Hey Guys,

So my kids wanted to switch over to LIPOs so i purchased 2 of these Hoovo 500mah batteries that were well reviewed on amazon. Link at bottom.

My kids switched the ESC over to LIPO and then put in the new battery and smoke started coming out of his motor once he hit the gas (stock Slash 2wd with Titan 5500).

Have not yet switched the ESC back to NIMH to see if it still works.

I wasnt home at the time so missed it but did anyone have any thoughts why it smoked ?

Thanks in advance.

Guy

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The batteries didn't make the motor bad it was about to go they just made it happen earlier. The Lipo mode on the ESC only changes the low battery cut-off it also had nothing to do with the smoke. It is just time for a new motor. If this seems to soon then maybe the maintenance schedule needs attention. Timely cleaning and lubing will get the most out of a brushed motor.

RC poster
    Thanks Zedora.
    Yes replaced the motor 6 months ago and hes not ready to invest in a brushless just yet so will clean out, lubricate and try again !
    Fingers crossed !

Guy

Traxxas Marshal
    Once you've smoked a motor, it's likely toast and will never perform the same again--even if you clean it out. It sounds like it's time for a new motor. You need to keep an eye on the temps and make sure that it is cleaned and lubricated regularly (don't over lubricate, one drop of oil per bushing is plenty).
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC poster
    and you guys are sure the new LIPO has nothing to do with it ?

we have 2 other cars that we wanna throw the LIPOs into (Rustller and TRX).

Quote Originally Posted by Whysocomplicate View Post
    and you guys are sure the new LIPO has nothing to do with it ?

we have 2 other cars that we wanna throw the LIPOs into (Rustller and TRX).
    The main difference between a NIMH battery and a Lipo battery in terms of what the motor experiences is less voltage drop on load with a Lipo battery.

The ESC (electronic speed control) will pull what it needs based upon the demands of the motor. The battery is not pushing power to it but rather is a supply. If you connected the battery directly to the motor then that is a different story.

Nothing against your kids, but I would see if there is more to the story since you were not there and didn't witness first-hand.
    Last edited by Double G; 07-19-2020 at 07:27 AM.
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    Bought my Slash 2WD back in May and already smoked two Titans even after following all the obligatory maintenance requirements set forth by Traxxas.
    After the second one trashed, I ordered a Velineon 3350R VXL-3s system.
    I'm just waiting on it to ship.
    I'm told it'll be the single, best investment I make.

RC poster
    Ok so while cleaning and oiling the motor todayI noticed one of the capacitors had come loose so i re-soldered it and the motor seems to run ok on the new LIPO with no smoke.

I would love for them to invest in a brushless motor but with 4 RC cars in our household I spend so much money on fixing them already not sure I want to buy one, plus if I buy brushless motor I will probably have to then buy another 3 !

RC poster
    That sounds like me! Three kids, ended up w 4 slash 2WD and everything I buy is x 4!! We have one brushless motor with the Traxxas Power Up program. We just got 2 Maxxs and I need 2 more....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Ok so motor has since now died completely and Im looking at the power up program for an upgrade... is there substantial difference between the Velineon 380 and the 3500 ?

Yes. 380 is for the 1/16 size vehicles. You want the 3500.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    Ok thanks, do I need the cooling fan for the ESC ?

RC Racer
    Before you pull the trigger on the Power Up program, might I suggest shopping around a bit? If you go direct through Traxxas with the power up, it will cost $125 after your trade in. I actually contacted Traxxas about the price, stating I could buy a brand new VXL without trading in my XL5 for $130ish on other sites. They suggested I go to my LHS and do the trade in there as the LHS would probably have a much lower price and can still use the power up program. I ultimately skipped the program and bought a Castle Sidewinder SCT combo for $115 and sold my XL5 with the Titan for $45 on Ebay (granted mine was working). Either way, you could keep the XL5 as a spare ESC and still save a little cash by not going for the power up program.

RC poster
    Also the kids tested another stock brushed motor from their rustler with the new lipo and it smoked that too so im returning the Lipos !

Also is there a good alternative brand to the traxxas Titan Motor ? brushed alternative though not brushless.

And sorry for all the postings but Im in a mess with 4 Traxxas cars right now that are all not working and I dont trust my local hobby store in LA so thanks in advance for all our help !

Guy
    Last edited by cooleocool; 08-02-2020 at 03:05 AM. Reason: merge

Holmes Hobbies makes good brushed motors (the trailmaster 550 12T would fit your application)

Edit: I have the 21T on my TRX-4 and it has been doing awesome.
    Last edited by RCWilly; 07-26-2020 at 12:24 PM.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    Holmes Hobbies makes good brushed motors (the trailmaster 550 12T would fit your application)

Edit: I have the 21T on my TRX-4 and it has been doing awesome.
    RC Willy. I bought one... are you running with Lipo or NIMH ?

I usually run with LiPo (for lower CG), but I occasionally switch back and forth between NiMH and LiPo.

RC poster
    Ugh the Trailmaster Sport 21T arrived and is installed, the car runs so much slower that the previous stock Titan Traxxas motor... Kid is not happy... this is crazy making..

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Whysocomplicate View Post
    Ugh the Trailmaster Sport 21T arrived and is installed, the car runs so much slower that the previous stock Titan Traxxas motor... Kid is not happy... this is crazy making..
    You should have gotten the 12t, not the 21t. You can change the gearing, as in get a larger pinion, to make up for the speed loss. I had ran a 21t on a 2wd rustler with 2.8s for a while, but on a 3s battery. Ran good for a brushed motor. Try going up 2 to 3 sizes on the pinion gear.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve g View Post
    You should have gotten the 12t, not the 21t. You can change the gearing, as in get a larger pinion, to make up for the speed loss. I had ran a 21t on a 2wd rustler with 2.8s for a while, but on a 3s battery. Ran good for a brushed motor. Try going up 2 to 3 sizes on the pinion gear.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Ok Thanks Steve.

Guy

Traxxas Marshal
    Yeah, a 21-turn 550 motor at this voltage won't be a hot performer. I don't think a gearing change will do a whole lot, to be honest. I'll be curious to hear if the 12-turn performs similarly to the Titan, though.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

12T and 21T motors do have a big difference... The 12T provides much more wheel speed, but the 21T provides more low end torque. Also, getting another pinion is around a quarter to half the cost of the motor, so you could keep the 21T as a spare (or upgrade motor) for your TRX-4 or other crawlers, and get the 12T.

I have had the 21T 550 Titan and the 21T 550 HH on my TRX-4. As far as I can tell, it is much of an improvement over the Titan. Instead of having bushings, there are bearings, so it is much smoother and will last longer. It also has stronger magnets (or better magnet placement), and it feels very smooth on low end startups, and the drag brakes are very consistent. Drag brakes seem to work pretty well in high gear too. (I paired it with a Hobbywing 1080 ESC)