Thread: Summit newb

RC Racer

Summit newb

Just picked up my first Summit. I've been around rc for awhile, started out bashing nitros before migrating to the scale world. My son has taken a renewed interest and we thought the Summit would be a good fit. The truck is used and appears to be all stock. Planning to upgrade to a BL system powered with 3s packs. We'll upgrade the drive train as needed but I'd like to start gathering pieces now. Chime in with your suggestions and share some knowledge!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

The best thing I did when I went brushless was to shim the diffs (and I installed better bearings). They have lasted well since then.
    The other thing that I did was to go with a slipper assembly that had more friction surface. That way I could run it a little bit looser (and still have great acceleration) to help with the increased power.

RC Racer
    Awesome, thanks for the reply. Batteries are on order, bl system is sitting on the bench. Looks like upgrades are in short supply from retailers. I need to unlock the marketplace feature!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Finally got things put back together, this thing is a blast to drive! I think the 3150kv setup is too much though. The wheel speed is nice but we'll mostly be trail driving. This seems to be an issue with the current motor/esc combo, thermals on the esc keep reaching peak. Sounds like a 2200kv motor is more ideal for crawling around on the trail?

Scale beer cans? That's the Schlitz!

RC Qualifier
    With 3s you could put a much smaller pinion on, how much smaller depends on your spur gear size. There should be a chart with the ranges of pinion/spur compatability. The minute you go 3s from 2s you increase the speed 50% and your chances of overheating.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Not sure what setup your running, but if the ESC is getting hot it's geared to high. The Summit is a heavy truck so trying to power it with a 3s 1/10 scale system is going to be under powered for anything other than slow driving.

RC Racer

Summit newb

The truck came with a Vanguard 3150kv combo system. I'm running the stock 68t spur and 17t pinion. I've got some options in the parts bin though so I'll play with the gearing some before swapping out the electronics.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 08-19-2020 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Content

The Vanguard 3150kv is much better suited to a smaller 1:10 vehicle like the Stampede 4x4.
    I consider a 40mm diameter can motor to be the best choice for a Summit, with a sensored brushless option strongly preferred.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =