RC Racer

Exclamation The Pro 15 is DEAD

Alright... so I have a host of questions, most of which that could be answered by some basic internet browsing, but I have a few things to do so hopefully someone who already has the knowledge can help me out here. Don't ask how, but the Pro 15 completely blew. (You may remember me asking about temperatures before) the sport was topping 410 degrees and I decided what the heck why not just blow the heck out of this engine for fun before I trade it in to Traxxas. So it around 420 degrees I thought it would be a good idea to lean the car a little bit. (The darn thing was already running 4 turns out on the high-speed needle and 3 on the low) and at about 440 the backplate gaskets melted which increase the temperature even more and then I just decided to cut my losses before I started a fire and get that engine out and ready to be exchanged to Traxxas. So first, I have the question that has been asked millions of times: can I successfully put a 3.3 engine in my sport without blowing the transmission and axles every 5 minutes? What are your personal opinions on this matter, Grizzly?
    Second, will my current easystart controller that came with the sport work with the easy start Gen 2 ( for the 3.3)
    Third, when doing any sort of engine upgrade from the Pro 15, are there any parts that overall make for a better experience that aren't included in the upgrade kit and gen 2 starter?
    Fourth, should I do a throttle servo upgrade?
    Fifth, what do y'all use to clean Nitro oil off of everything
    If I have any more questions in the process I will come back... If you know any answers to these questions (no matter how dumb they were) please take the time to let me know, and any comments are appreciated. Thanks for your time!
    P.S. if anyone is in the market for a blown-out Pro 15 hit me up
    I'm not afraid of my fellow man.

1. You probably could, not sure how long though as is. The transmission is the same as the rustler, except the rustler has a slipper clutch that helps. You can add it if you don't have one already (it's a good idea that would help save those parts).

2. The controller itself works and interchangeable. One is zip-tied to battery, the other is a wand.

3. Can't help with this question

4. If you have the 2018 servo IMO I would upgrade it.

Article from Traxxas about Nitro sport vs Nitro rustler: https://traxxas.com/support/What-are...tro-Rustler-25

RC Enthusiast
    I have an older (1999 maybe) Nitro Sport that had the Pro .15. I put a 3.3 and have not had any issues with trans or axles. Just because of age at the time I replaced both the steering and the throttle servos. I replaced the receiver so I could use my TQi transmitter(s). I also converted the front end to accept the hex wheels.

I did all this about 2 maybe 3 years ago so I don't remember what front end parts I used. Might have been 2wd slash as that is what I had and was able to compare parts before ordering.

The rear axles are the original, I still have the steel differential output yokes that I was told I would need when I originally purchased the truck, never been put on.

RC Racer
    Thanks a lot, Grizzly
    Quote Originally Posted by srider72 View Post
    I have an older (1999 maybe) Nitro Sport that had the Pro .15. I put a 3.3 and have not had any issues with trans or axles. Just because of age at the time I replaced both the steering and the throttle servos. I replaced the receiver so I could use my TQi transmitter(s). I also converted the front end to accept the hex wheels.

I did all this about 2 maybe 3 years ago so I don't remember what front end parts I used. Might have been 2wd slash as that is what I had and was able to compare parts before ordering.

The rear axles are the original, I still have the steel differential output yokes that I was told I would need when I originally purchased the truck, never been put on.
    So, have you ever tried to measure the top speed on the sport 3.3?

RC Enthusiast
    I have the rpm sensor and the link app tells me an estimated speed. But my guess is that it's not really any faster overall, just gets to top speed faster. I don't recall what the top speed was.

Guess I'll just have to fire it up and see what it says....

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Ok. Cool. What gearing do you use as well?

RC Enthusiast
    Couldn't tell you off top of my head. Whatever is stock... lol

I work 3rd shift and usually sleep most of the day away, i'll try to get the spur gear count and the count off the bell clutch soon.

The bell clutch might be 20 teeth and the spur gear might be 70. I pulled those numbers off the parts list pdf I downloaded a while ago, so they could be wrong. It was the closest to my model that I could find.