RC Competitor

Monster 2wd slash

I’m not sure if anyone has posted abt this or not but i had some parts lying around and decided to try to make a truck. I have a Redcat ground pounder I broke beyond repair that I modded with Traxxas I’m going to steal parts from. I have an emaxx fire truck body with lights i was going to use with the Traxxas adjustable body mounts. Tmw I’m going to cut the sides off the slash hcg chassis with a band saw and will have pictures. I have an hpi wheelie king motor i was going to put in it. I have a proline rear skid plate and front bumper and rpm front skid plate. I might find some tmaxx/emaxx driveshafts and try to 3D print extended arms. If the tmaxx/emaxx a arms fit i will try to use 8 shocks but I’m not sure if they fit. I might also get the adapters to use 17mm tires. Any input is appreciated.

Im not creative at all.. So. I dont really have anything to help with or add. But all i wanna say is i wanna see this monstrosity in progress. I think its gonna look super cool.

EDIT: And good luck!!

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Calebs0615 View Post
    Im not creative at all.. So. I dont really have anything to help with or add. But all i wanna say is i wanna see this monstrosity in progress. I think its gonna look super cool.

EDIT: And good luck!!

Thanks I’m excited to see it too. I might also get a castle 7700kv motor (What killed the ground pounder) and put weight on the back so it will pop wheelies

What is the difference between my 3500kv and the higher number your putting in? Im assuming more voltage means more speed right? Higher rpm?

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    And way more heat. The 7700 is a touring car motor. It will probably burn out in a heavy truck. Even on 2s...

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

Higher KV means more speed, but also less torque, which is why it will heat up if a high KV motor is used on a heavy truck.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC poster
    Hi I'm new here didn't know if anybody could help me with this I just bought the new Sidewinder 4 with the sensored motor and hook it up in my son's Traxxas slash the ESC is not censored we're running 3s it's compatible with 2s and 3s lipo it ran fine for a few days I bought this set up two weeks ago the other day he said it shut off so I checked it out it wasn't hot I plugged it back in fans working so he drives it again it did the same thing I thought maybe okay the battery needs to be switched I switch the battery and now the ESC will not turn on whatsoever no matter what I do I tested it with a multimeter continuity test nothing seems to be bad but it won't turn on it doesn't smell burnt the problem is like an idiot I threw away the Box the receipt because I figured I never had a problem with Castle products why would I have one with this so come to find out I have an issue and Castle backs up their products with a receipt does anybody have any advice for me or this is just $130 deal I'm going to have to swallow

Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    Higher KV means more speed, but also less torque, which is why it will heat up if a high KV motor is used on a heavy truck.
    Thanks for clearing that up for me.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    And way more heat. The 7700 is a touring car motor. It will probably burn out in a heavy truck. Even on 2s...

I use to use it when i had my slash as a 2wd late model on carpet and Dirt oval and it was fine. I used a 90t pinion and a 15t pinion and it was barely hot. Ironically i put it in my touring car and broke the rear belt and melted a gear cog.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

To put it into perspective i went on a quarter scale oval with a 17.5 turn which is about 4100kv and got a 6.2.
    The same oval white the 7700kv motor and got a 3.8

Quote Originally Posted by Slash..monster View Post
    Hi I'm new here didn't know if anybody could help me with this I just bought the new Sidewinder 4 with the sensored motor and hook it up in my son's Traxxas slash the ESC is not censored we're running 3s it's compatible with 2s and 3s lipo it ran fine for a few days I bought this set up two weeks ago the other day he said it shut off so I checked it out it wasn't hot I plugged it back in fans working so he drives it again it did the same thing I thought maybe okay the battery needs to be switched I switch the battery and now the ESC will not turn on whatsoever no matter what I do I tested it with a multimeter continuity test nothing seems to be bad but it won't turn on it doesn't smell burnt the problem is like an idiot I threw away the Box the receipt because I figured I never had a problem with Castle products why would I have one with this so come to find out I have an issue and Castle backs up their products with a receipt does anybody have any advice for me or this is just $130 deal I'm going to have to swallow
    Im not sure what the problem could be. I have the sidewinder 3 sensorless
    Last edited by cooleocool; 07-23-2020 at 12:06 AM. Reason: merge

Quote Originally Posted by Wavez View Post
    To put it into perspective i went on a quarter scale oval with a 17.5 turn which is about 4100kv and got a 6.2.
    The same oval white the 7700kv motor and got a 3.8
    Thats a huge difference.. So its a heavy car your gonna want a lower kv rating. Heavy as in like 10lbs or more. Ive got a ton of stuff on mine. Aluminum parts, big tires, that integy roll cage. Mines easily 15 pounds and ive had a hard time trying to keep temps down. Maybe going to a lower kv would be a good solution?

Edited for language abuse. If you see a starred out word in your post, you must edit it out to avoid earning warning points.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 07-23-2020 at 12:08 AM.

RC Competitor
    Thats a huge difference.. So its a heavy car your gonna want a lower kv rating. Heavy as in like 10lbs or more. Ive got a ton of stuff on mine. Aluminum parts, big tires, that integy roll cage. Mines easily 15 pounds and ive had a hard time trying to keep temps down. Maybe going to a lower kv would be a good solution?

Yes or lower gearing
    Last edited by cooleocool; 07-23-2020 at 12:08 AM. Reason: modified quote

I broke both stock 2wd axles when I geared lower then stock. But ive since bought the heavier duty 4x4 rear axles and i havent tried gearing lower yet. But i noticed the little holes where the u joint seats, is NOT egged out like the stock ones were. I should be able to go down a couple teeth safely now i would think.

RC Competitor
    IMG_2290.HEIC
    IMG_2291.HEIC
    IMG_2292.HEIC
    IMG_2293.HEIC

I mounted it on an old esavage body. I havenít cut the chassis yet still working on that. Thereís also some parts I havenít put on yet but most of the parts I need are the front hub carriers, rear driveshafts and a gearbox housing

I canít figure out how to post pictures

https://ibb.co/c8FNhLH
    https://ibb.co/r6Y8BZt
    https://ibb.co/CnSdySj
    https://ibb.co/Rbgn0WJ

Here are the pictures if this will work
    Last edited by cooleocool; 07-23-2020 at 12:08 AM. Reason: merge

If you download tapatalk, it makes it super easy to upload pictures.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Waves after seeing that I may have to go back to a hcg slash mt instead of the lcg slash buggy I've been running for years. I miss the hcg sometimes.

I was basing the heat on my 4600kv 4 pole castle. It had sct lap record for months at my small indoor carpet oval. It ran very hot at 180į at end of 6 min runs, it took that abuse no problem. I assumed a motor with nearly double the kv would smoke. The newer castle motors must be reeeeaaally good
    Last edited by rag6; 07-20-2020 at 08:50 PM.

Waves after seeing that I may have to go back to a hcg slash mt instead of the lcg slash buggy I've been running for years. I miss the hcg sometimes.

I was basing the heat on my 4600kv 4 pole castle. It had sct lap record for months at my small indoor carpet oval. It ran very hot at 180į at end of 6 min runs, it took that abuse no problem. I assumed a motor with nearly double the kv would smoke. The newer castle motors must be reeeeaaally good
    What makes you not like the lcg chassis?

RC Competitor

The lcg chassis handles soooo much better but i was just using the hcg bc i like the ground clearance for the monster truck look

Should i make it 4s?????
    Last edited by cooleocool; 07-23-2020 at 12:10 AM. Reason: merge

Should i make it 4s?????
    I mean why not, right? Its never a bad thing to have more power than you need, right? Id rather have more than what i need for when i want it, than not enough for when i need it.

I'm sorry if thats confusing haha.

RC Competitor
    I mean why not, right? Its never a bad thing to have more power than you need, right? Id rather have more than what i need for when i want it, than not enough for when i need it.

I'm sorry if thats confusing haha.

True. Ig I’m gonna take the system out of my 1/8 buggy for a while lolol

I Iove the lcg... It's just that I built 3 or 4 hcg mt's before the lcg came out. It def looks cooler as an mt with the hcg. I know handling isn't as crisp, but it kind of makes it more fun.

RC Competitor
    I Iove the lcg... It's just that I built 3 or 4 hcg mt's before the lcg came out. It def looks cooler as an mt with the hcg. I know handling isn't as crisp, but it kind of makes it more fun.

True even as a sct the hcg looks better

How much clearance do you lose with the leg chassis?

RC Competitor
    How much clearance do you lose with the leg chassis?

Lcg drops the chassis down 1 in

Lcg drops the chassis down 1 in
    Ooff. Thats really kinda a lot. When theres only like 4 or 5 to begin with. It depends on where and how you drive ultimately i guess. I dont think id benefit from a lcg chassis. Course trucks would i think. But not a basher.

RC Competitor
    Yea but when you do sharp turns itíll flip a lotttt more

Should I get the hobbywing xerun 8 plus?? It runs on 6s and I have a motor a 2650kv motor. The limit for the esc is 2400 so 6s might be a bit much. I was saving for a 4s 4x4 pede but idk which one to get

I got the pede. 6s in a slash will destroy my gearbox. Still gonna overpower it
    Last edited by cooleocool; 07-23-2020 at 12:10 AM. Reason: merge

I thought it was closer to 2".

You really don't loose anything in ground clearance. The transmission and front bulk and bumper sit at same height on both chassis. You gain the ability to slide over stuff with the lcg. Larger obstacles can grab the rear chassis brace on the Hcg. Much of the effects of the higher battery can be countered with wider arms, rim offsets, and suspension tuning. Of course it has its limits, but you can get it to handle solidly.

RC Competitor
    I thought it was closer to 2".

You really don't loose anything in ground clearance. The transmission and front bulk and bumper sit at same height on both chassis. You gain the ability to slide over stuff with the lcg. Larger obstacles can grab the rear chassis brace on the Hcg. Much of the effects of the higher battery can be countered with wider arms, rim offsets, and suspension tuning. Of course it has its limits, but you can get it to handle solidly.

The weight is higher so it’ll flip more. Do they make wider arms?? I’ll get them in a heart beat for the monster truck

RC poster
    And way more heat. The 7700 is a touring car motor. It will probably burn out in a heavy truck. Even on 2s..

Yes proline protrac arms are wider. The tires are wider. It helps offset the higher battery. Driving too fast into the turns flips your truck lol. Drive within the abilities of your setup...

Yea but when you do sharp turns itíll flip a lotttt more
    Very true. It definitely is tippy. Its not as bad with the bigger tires on it but it does flip. Ive been thinking about getting those hub adapters. I forget what they're called. Theyre like a wheel spacer. That should help too. Widen the track a bit.

RC Competitor
    I have some proline hole shot monster truck tires I could use. How much longer are the proline arms? And does anyone make a transmission that wonít melt under 6s?

Quote Originally Posted by cristophersmith View Post
    And way more heat. The 7700 is a touring car motor. It will probably burn out in a heavy truck. Even on 2s..
    I run it in my slash all the time and itís fine. I had it in a mud boss and I popped wheelies every time I gunned the trigger out of the turn
    Last edited by cooleocool; 07-23-2020 at 12:11 AM. Reason: merge

I run it in my slash all the time and itís fine. I had it in a mud boss and I popped wheelies every time I gunned the trigger out of the turn
    Does it get hot? And are you running the 7700 on 2s?

RC Competitor
    Castle recommends to put the 7700kv in a 2wd buggy. When I put it in my touring car it broke every time I took off I had to turn the radio down 80% before it was safe

Castle recommends to put the 7700kv in a 2wd buggy. When I put it in my touring car it broke every time I took off I had to turn the radio down 80% before it was safe
    How fast was it when you had to turn it down 80%?

RC Competitor
    Does it get hot? And are you running the 7700 on 2s?

I put the smallest gearing I could on 2s and itís abt 135įF

How fast was it when you had to turn it down 80%?

It was still faster than anything I own loll
    Last edited by cooleocool; 07-23-2020 at 12:11 AM. Reason: merge

It was still faster than anything I own loll
    Wow... Do you know how fast you could go before itd over heat?

RC Competitor
    I’ve never had a motor get so hot it went into protection mode so idk. I put it in my p4de bc I broke the shaft off my old motor and needed a sensorless and it was barely warm

RC Competitor
    Progress update: I cut off the sides of the chassis to make it narrower. Gonna get some abs plastic to stiffen it and keep debris out. I put on the new diff housing and got the servo mounted today. Still waiting on front hub carriers and rear driveshafts.

Iíve never had a motor get so hot it went into protection mode so idk. I put it in my p4de bc I broke the shaft off my old motor and needed a sensorless and it was barely warm
    It's the esc that goes into protection mode. The esc doesn't measure motor temps....

RC Competitor
    It's the esc that goes into protection mode. The esc doesn't measure motor temps....

I knew that