RC Competitor

Question Motor/Gearing Questions

I've been trying to decide between 3 different motor/esc combos, and I'm not sure what to get: (Sorry for the wall of text)

1. https://traxxas.com/products/parts/3350R
    The Traxxas VXL upgrade kit
    Pros:
    Easy to install
    Cheapest, if I use the power-up program
    Cons:
    Runs hot (I think)
    Can't really handle 3s lipo
    Slowest (I think)
    Sensorless

2. https://www.amainhobbies.com/castle-...164-07/p731270
    Sidewinder SW4 with a 2400kv motor
    Pros:
    Handles 3s easily
    Still pretty cheap
    Tune-able
    Sensorless
    Cons:
    I don't see anywhere that says that the motor is waterproof - I hope I'm wrong

3. https://www.amainhobbies.com/castle-...160-00/p578319
    Mamba X with a 2400kv motor
    Pros:
    Best ESC (that I would want)
    Takes 4s
    Tune-able
    Cons:
    Same waterproof issue
    Expensive (in relation)

Finally, I have no idea what gearing would be good for grassy bashing. Also, how tricky is it to install a Castle system for a relative noob? Is the receiver compatible? Thanks in advance for your answers

I dont have any experience with any of the other besides the vxl3s system, but i can give you my input on that at least.

It does get warm with 3s. It gets even worse with bigger tires, even on stock gearing. There's only one plug (I forget what they're called ec2 maybe?) for power from the ESC. So if you get the traxxas esc fan, you'll have to run your wires to the receiver box. I don't know if the other esc's have two or not but it would be convenient. Ive been running it with 3s for around 4 months now and there's no shaft play. I guess thats all i have to say about it really.

EDIT: I just remembered something important. Traxxas claims the brushless motor IS waterproof. Im not so sure it is. I drove it through fairly deep water, I would say at least 4 or 5 inches. And the truck was like stuttering. Like with throttle input it was lurching kind of. Forward or reverse. Then by itself, it was fine like maybe a minute or so after i pulled it out of the water. So im not really convinced its "waterproof." Maybe resistant. It may have been something else too, who knows? But i cant think of what else it would be besides that.

I'm looking forward to what other people say cause I'm in the market for a different combo as well.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Calebs0615; 07-20-2020 at 10:11 PM.

Iíve had all 3 systems in my slash and hands down, the mamba X /2400kv combo is the best.

Super easy to install, really no more difficult than a velineon system. Will handle a variety of gearing options and provides some future proofing as the ESC can actually handle up to 6s.

Itís worth the price increase. Make sure you get the 5mm shaft version of the motor and youíll need some new pinions to match. I suggest a 15 and 19 to give some flex between dirt/grass bashing and speed runs on pavement.

Quote Originally Posted by gusd2 View Post

Itís worth the price increase. Make sure you get the 5mm shaft version of the motor and youíll need some new pinions to match. I suggest a 15 and 19 to give some flex between dirt/grass bashing and speed runs on pavement.
    Whats the shaft size of the velineon motor?

The VXL system can handle 3s, you just have to keep an eye on temps, which is really something you should be doing anyway regardless of which system you have. With that said, the only reason why you should consider the VXL-3s or a similar sized 3rd party system is if you intend to run 2s at least some of the time.

Though it still works with 2s, the 2400kv motor is not particularly satisfying at that voltage. It wakes up on 3s, and 4s is where it gets really fun.

I would not consider a SW4 with the 2400kv motor unless you were talking about a 2wd buggy or stadium truck. With a heavier 4x4 vehicle, you will hit thermal shutdown on 3s, and not even having the option to run 4s sucks.

The Mamba X + 2400kv motor is a good combo. The 2400kv motor is very strong and really doesn't give much up compared to the 8th scale 2200kv motor. The Mamba X however is a good bit smaller and weaker than the 8th scale Mamba Monster X. For the price of the Mamba X (not cheap, obviously), it's not a big leap to just go with an actual 8th scale system instead.

A few other options you might consider:

Castle Sidewinder 8th + 2200kv Motor combo:
    http://www.castlecreations.com/en/si...or-010-0139-01

Pros:
    -8th scale ESC that can handle more power than the Mamba X.
    -8th scale 2200kv motor; even bigger than the 2400kv motor. It's basically the same 2200kv motor that is in the E-Revo VXL-6s system.
    -Cheaper than the Mamba X + 2400kv combo.

Cons:
    -The Sidewinder 8th ESC does not support sensored operation (even though the 2200kv motor it comes with does).
    -ESC is physically larger than the Mamba X (but the Slash 4x4 chassis should have plenty of space for it).

Castle Mamba Monster X + 2200kv Motor Combo:
    http://www.castlecreations.com/en/ma...00-010-0145-03

Pros:
    -Castle's best 8th scale ESC - the least likely to enter thermal shutdown during heavy bashing, etc.
    -8th scale 2200kv motor; even bigger than the 2400kv motor. It's basically the same 2200kv motor that is in the E-Revo VXL-6s system.
    -ESC supports Sensored operation with the included 2200kv motor.

Cons:
    More expensive than the Mamba X + 2400kv combo, but only by about $35. Considerably more expensive than the Sidewinder 8th + 2200kv combo.
    -ESC is physically larger than the Mamba X (but the Slash 4x4 chassis should have plenty of space for it).

If you don't care about sensored operation, the Sidewinder 8th +2200kv combo is really tough to beat. To get an idea of how the Sidewinder 8th +2200kv combo compares to the Mamba X + 2400kv combo, consider that Castle lists the Mamba X combo as being good for vehicles weighing up to 6.5lbs. They list the Sidewinder 8th combo as being good for vehicles weighing up to 11lbs. Not bad for a combo with a MSRP that is $50 cheaper... The Mamba Monster X + 2200kv combo claims it's good for up to 15lbs.
    Last edited by GotNoRice; 07-21-2020 at 05:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Calebs0615 View Post
    Whats the shaft size of the velineon motor?

I believe itís 3.5mm.

Quote Originally Posted by EclipseMantis View Post
    I've been trying to decide between 3 different motor/esc combos, and I'm not sure what to get: (Sorry for the wall of text)

1. https://traxxas.com/products/parts/3350R
    The Traxxas VXL upgrade kit
    Pros:
    Easy to install
    Cheapest, if I use the power-up program
    Cons:
    Runs hot (I think)
    Can't really handle 3s lipo
    Slowest (I think)
    Sensorless

2. https://www.amainhobbies.com/castle-...164-07/p731270
    Sidewinder SW4 with a 2400kv motor
    Pros:
    Handles 3s easily
    Still pretty cheap
    Tune-able
    Sensorless
    Cons:
    I don't see anywhere that says that the motor is waterproof - I hope I'm wrong

3. https://www.amainhobbies.com/castle-...160-00/p578319
    Mamba X with a 2400kv motor
    Pros:
    Best ESC (that I would want)
    Takes 4s
    Tune-able
    Cons:
    Same waterproof issue
    Expensive (in relation)

Finally, I have no idea what gearing would be good for grassy bashing. Also, how tricky is it to install a Castle system for a relative noob? Is the receiver compatible? Thanks in advance for your answers
    One last motor / esc combo to consider:

Hobbywing Max8 with 2200kv motor
    - pretty close to the same cost as the mamba X/ 2400kv
    - a little cheaper than the Castle 1/8th system
    - not sensored, but really unless your using the rig to rock crawl, really doesnít matter
    - motor and esc will handle up to 6s lipo
    - easily fits into the LCG slash 4x4 chassis, may have to dremmel a bit to fit into the HCG version

Just an overall good system. Have this one currently and love it.

One last motor / esc combo to consider:

Hobbywing Max8 with 2200kv motor
    - pretty close to the same cost as the mamba X/ 2400kv
    - a little cheaper than the Castle 1/8th system
    - not sensored, but really unless your using the rig to rock crawl, really doesnít matter
    - motor and esc will handle up to 6s lipo
    - easily fits into the LCG slash 4x4 chassis, may have to dremmel a bit to fit into the HCG version

Just an overall good system. Have this one currently and love it.
    Last suggestion, I promise...

Look for a used stock Arrma, system from a Keaton etc. Lots of guys upgrade and sell of the stock BLX185 ESC, and 2050kv motor. I picked one up lightly used for $100 and itís been great in my speed run slash. Will take up to a 6s lipo and geared aggressively will hit 100mph. Iím currently geared 24/50 and can hit 70 to 80mph for an entire battery without going over 160 degrees on the motor. Running dual fans on the motor which helps.

Good luck!
    Last edited by cooleocool; 07-22-2020 at 11:15 PM. Reason: merge

Last suggestion, I promise...

Look for a used stock Arrma, system from a Keaton etc. Lots of guys upgrade and sell of the stock BLX185 ESC, and 2050kv motor. I picked one up lightly used for $100 and itís been great in my speed run slash. Will take up to a 6s lipo and geared aggressively will hit 100mph. Iím currently geared 24/50 and can hit 70 to 80mph for an entire battery without going over 160 degrees on the motor. Running dual fans on the motor which helps.

Good luck!
    Is there any specific places that you would look for these things?

Motor/ESC combo blx185 and 2050kv on eBay right now for 130 used. 170 new.

Last edited by Calebs0615; 07-21-2020 at 08:06 PM.

Is there any specific places that you would look for these things?

Motor/ESC combo blx185 and 2050kv on eBay right now for 130 used. 170 new.

I think $100 is the right price for a used system. A lightly used system for $130 isnít bad, itís just you donít know how hard itís been driven.

Iím in Canada and use either EBay or a classifieds site called Kijiji. Iím sure thereís something similar in the US where people post used stuff for sale.

$170 isnít bad for a new system although for $25 more you can get a new Hobbywing Max8 / 2200kv combo.

Of note, pretty sure the Arrma BLX185 is a rebadged Hobbywing anyway. Slightly lower tiered than the Max8 but only slightly. I use the same Hobbywing programming card to tweak the settings on both the Max8 and BLX.

RC Competitor
    Thanks for all of your replies!

Quote Originally Posted by GotNoRice View Post
    Castle Sidewinder 8th + 2200kv Motor combo:
    http://www.castlecreations.com/en/si...or-010-0139-01

Pros:
    -8th scale ESC that can handle more power than the Mamba X.
    -Cheaper than the Mamba X + 2400kv combo.

Cons:
    -The Sidewinder 8th ESC does not support sensored operation (even though the 2200kv motor it comes with does).
    That looks AWESOME!! I know 6s is way too much for a sl4sh, but if I don't get a 6s system now, I know I will later, so I might as well "save" some money. I was looking at this for batteries:
    https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxas...ra2990/p474595
    Not to be stupid, but how do you secure 2 3s packs to a HCG slash chassis? The stock battery tray barely has space for a 7 cell NiMh pack! Also, what would be good gearing for 1: bashing on grass and 2: occasional high speed runs (just so I can brag about how fast it is) Again, thanks so much!!

I think $100 is the right price for a used system. A lightly used system for $130 isnít bad, itís just you donít know how hard itís been driven.

Iím in Canada and use either EBay or a classifieds site called Kijiji. Iím sure thereís something similar in the US where people post used stuff for sale.

$170 isnít bad for a new system although for $25 more you can get a new Hobbywing Max8 / 2200kv combo.

Of note, pretty sure the Arrma BLX185 is a rebadged Hobbywing anyway. Slightly lower tiered than the Max8 but only slightly. I use the same Hobbywing programming card to tweak the settings on both the Max8 and BLX.
    Yes. In the NorthEast we have Uncle Henry's. And the rest of the U.S. uses Craigslist among others im sure. And your exactly right. Youll never know how long itll last. Kinda just a swing in the dark.

Thanks for all of your replies!

That looks AWESOME!! I know 6s is way too much for a sl4sh, but if I don't get a 6s system now, I know I will later, so I might as well "save" some money. I was looking at this for batteries:
    https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxas...ra2990/p474595
    Not to be stupid, but how do you secure 2 3s packs to a HCG slash chassis? The stock battery tray barely has space for a 7 cell NiMh pack! Also, what would be good gearing for 1: bashing on grass and 2: occasional high speed runs (just so I can brag about how fast it is) Again, thanks so much!!
    Im not sure they make anything that will make it so you can put two batteries in a slash cause ots not really meant for it. But im sure you could just put a couple zip ties in there. I used to put a zip tie underneath where the esc and servo wires go through the body. It didnt hold it everytime though. If id flip it more than 3 or 4 rolls, that battery was flying out. Hard on the battery and the wires and connectors for sure. Youll figure it out.

Last edited by cooleocool; 07-22-2020 at 11:16 PM. Reason: merge

Not to be stupid, but how do you secure 2 3s packs to a HCG slash chassis? The stock battery tray barely has space for a 7 cell NiMh pack!
    Generally if you are going to run two batteries, your best bet is to run them stacked on top of each other in the battery tray. I do this sometimes, where I run two 2s packs together as a 4s pack.

This helps:
    https://traxxas.com/products/parts/5827X

6s would be overkill, and 3s packs tend to be bigger than 2s packs, so even with the expanded battery kit you might not be able to fit two 3s packs. You could run one underneath the battery hold-down, and zip tie the 2nd battery to the top of the battery hold-down.

You'll also need a series adapter, depending on what connectors you use obviously. Here is an example using traxxas connectors:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/141242660696

Also, what would be good gearing for 1: bashing on grass and 2: occasional high speed runs (just so I can brag about how fast it is)
    If you go with a bigger motor like the 2200kv, you'll actually be limited in terms of pinion size just due to the bigger size of the motor. I run 18/54 in my Slash 4x4 monster truck, and the 18 tooth pinion is about the smallest pinion I can run that still allows the pinion to mesh with the spur. Any smaller and the motor would hit the chassis before the gears would mesh.

I'd suggest trying 18/54. Use 4s or even 3s for your daily bashing, and stick 6s in there for your speed runs.

Generally if you are going to run two batteries, your best bet is to run them stacked on top of each other in the battery tray. I do this sometimes, where I run two 2s packs together as a 4s pack.

This helps:

6s would be overkill, and 3s packs tend to be bigger than 2s packs, so even with the expanded battery kit you might not be able to fit two 3s packs. You could run one underneath the battery hold-down, and zip tie the 2nd battery to the top of the battery hold-down.

You'll also need a series adapter, depending on what connectors you use obviously. Here is an example using traxxas connectors:

If you go with a bigger motor like the 2200kv, you'll actually be limited in terms of pinion size just due to the bigger size of the motor. I run 18/54 in my Slash 4x4 monster truck, and the 18 tooth pinion is about the smallest pinion I can run that still allows the pinion to mesh with the spur. Any smaller and the motor would hit the chassis before the gears would mesh.

I'd suggest trying 18/54. Use 4s or even 3s for your daily bashing, and stick 6s in there for your speed runs.
    I had to buy the battery expander kit for one smc 3s lipo battery so I dont think two would work.. But its worth a try. If you try to find two 3s batteries that are somewhat thin.

Ive never heard of anybody doing this but can you stack NiMh batteries?

RC poster
    A inexpensive solution are velcro straps from Amazon to tie down them 3-6S Batteries, running a Hobbywing max8 combo 18/54 RR gearing.Also if you are gonna be using 6s and 1/8 motor you need the supporting mods to go with it,tekno drive shafts,axles,stiffer springs,heavier shock oil to name a few.
    Last edited by kerlow66; 07-23-2020 at 03:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kerlow66 View Post
    A inexpensive solution are velcro straps from Amazon to tie down them 3-6S Batteries, running a Hobbywing max8 combo 18/54 RR gearing.Also if you are gonna be using 6s and 1/8 motor you need the supporting mods to go with it,tekno drive shafts,axles,stiffer springs,heavier shock oil to name a few.
    Is that just the picture or is your toe on your rear tires a little aggressive?

RC poster
    It is super aggressive it straightens up with a little throttle input��

RC Competitor

This helps:

Is 6s overkill because it's too hard on the motor or esc, or because it's basically uncontrollable? I'm asking because I can't decide between the two 3s lipos (and not running WOT constantly) or the one 4s lipo (or two 2s, I guess). What would you suggest? Also, how do you manage to get two batteries in series? The traxxas series connector only works with NiMhs, and I'd rather not cut off the iD connectors, as I would probably blow something up when charging.

Is 6s overkill because it's too hard on the motor or esc, or because it's basically uncontrollable? I'm asking because I can't decide between the two 3s lipos (and not running WOT constantly) or the one 4s lipo (or two 2s, I guess). What would you suggest? Also, how do you manage to get two batteries in series? The traxxas series connector only works with NiMhs, and I'd rather not cut off the iD connectors, as I would probably blow something up when charging.
    Well if you get 2 batteries your gonna want a dual charger which is quite expensive as well as 2 batteries. And I use my slash on 3s an thats plenty. I think 4s would be okay too. Itd be kinda hard to control as 3s pulls wheelies easy on stock gearing. 6s would for sure be way too much. In my opinion. Itd be hard on the chassis and a waste of battery power too cause you wont be able to get much more than 4s speed without it going 10 feet in the air. 3s at about 35 to 40 is hard to keep on the ground.

Thats just my opinion. Im sure itd be insane on 6s but like I said, in my opinion, itd be just too much.

Is 6s overkill because it's too hard on the motor or esc, or because it's basically uncontrollable?
    I'd say it's overkill mainly because it's not needed. 4s is already borderline overkill. Keep in mind that batteries are generally bigger and heavier as the cell count increases, unless you compromise in other areas like getting a battery with a low mAh. Adding weight is counter-productive especially if your batteries are only on one side. With an 8th scale motor+esc, 6s should not be an issue, as they are designed to handle it, but the rest of the vehicle was meant for 3s. Eventually you'll get to the point where even upgraded parts will start breaking.

I'm not saying don't try it. It might be fun. I just think that you're likely to come to the same conclusion in the end, and 6s packs are expensive.

I'm asking because I can't decide between the two 3s lipos (and not running WOT constantly) or the one 4s lipo (or two 2s, I guess). What would you suggest?
    I think 4s is ideal. Whether you go with a single 4s pack or two 2s packs doesn't really matter. Many chargers have a watt limit. For example, I have 3 50-watt chargers. It's faster for me to charge two 2s packs than one 4s pack because I can give each 2s pack it's own charger (100w total) instead of charging the single 4s pack using one charger (50-watt), which can take a while.

Also, how do you manage to get two batteries in series? The traxxas series connector only works with NiMhs, and I'd rather not cut off the iD connectors, as I would probably blow something up when charging.
    The series adapter from the ebay link I posted earlier will work fine. The idea of running batteries in series is a very basic concept and not limited to any particular battery chemistry. You'll want an adapter that uses 12 gauge wire or larger (keep in mind, lower gauge = thicker wire). You don't have to cut off the ID connectors. The older style traxxas battery connectors, such as the ones used in the series adapter that I linked, will plug right into batteries that use the newer ID connector. The "ID" part of the ID connector is only used while charging, to let the charger know the individual voltage of each cell, so that it can make sure they stay balanced. It's not used when plugged into the ESC.

You can see that the VXL-6s from the E-Revo (for example) basically has a series adapter built-in:
    https://traxxas.com/products/parts/escs/vxl6s

My 2 cents. 3s and a 2200-2700kv motor seems like a sweet spot for the Slash 4x4. 4s is fun and 6s is speed run territory. The stock Slash body become a big wing at high speeds. I ran a 3674 2700kv motor on 4s geared 20/54. Flat out flies...literally. Spectacular blow overs north of 60ish. 3s on a good motor/esc geared right will be more than enough to have fun. 4s for the occasional romp. I run 2 2s 5000mah Traxxas packs for the occasional 4s romp...otherwise I use SMC 3s packs. My 4s setup

Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Competitor
    Okay, thanks! I guess I'll go with a 5000mah 4s lipo, since it'd be so much easier to fit than two 3s batteries. I think that the battery compartment footprint is large enough, it just isn't big enough vertically. That should be easy to fix, though. Would you suggest this?

https://www.amainhobbies.com/castle-...119-00/p640839

I think it's the cheapest way to program it, but is programming it really worth $20?, Also, I spent about 30 minutes looking for a female trx connector to solder to the ESC (I need that, right?), and just can't find one! Do you have a link to one? Thanks for continually answering my bad questions!

Okay, thanks! I guess I'll go with a 5000mah 4s lipo, since it'd be so much easier to fit than two 3s batteries. I think that the battery compartment footprint is large enough, it just isn't big enough vertically. That should be easy to fix, though. Would you suggest this?
    A single 4s pack should be fine. You have 42mm of height to work with using the expanded battery hold-down. What are the dimensions of the battery you are looking at?

I think it's the cheapest way to program it, but is programming it really worth $20?
    I think it's worth it, yes. Being able to update the firmware on the ESC to the latest version is worth it alone, as Castle fixes bugs and quirks with each firmware update. Also, being able to customize things like the drag-brake setting is really nice.

Also, I spent about 30 minutes looking for a female trx connector to solder to the ESC (I need that, right?), and just can't find one! Do you have a link to one? Thanks for continually answering my bad questions!
    They are pretty easy to find. Example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/113967537102

Keep in mind that you don't need the fancy ID connector for the ESC plug, since that part of the connector isn't used by the ESC.

I think it's the cheapest way to program it, but is programming it really worth $20?, Also, I spent about 30 minutes looking for a female trx connector to solder to the ESC (I need that, right?), and just can't find one! Do you have a link to one? Thanks for continually answering my bad questions!
    If you google the part number for the female plugs youll get what you need. Not that what the other fella said isnt, its just 1$ per connector seems way too cheap.

Instead of the Castle Link you can get the Field Programmer (wow prices have jumped!!)
    https://www.amainhobbies.com/castle-...063-00/p160953

This way you can use it while in the field so you don't have to lug a computer around or when at home on the workbench you can plug it into your computer and ESC - where you can make and save multiple fine-tuned settings and download them to the ESC.

If you google the part number for the female plugs youll get what you need. Not that what the other fella said isnt, its just 1$ per connector seems way too cheap.
    Those are the High Current Connectors which are no longer available for sale - at least the genuine Traxxas ones. There are some patent-infringing knock-offs out there but their quality and fit leaves much to be desired.

The male end is on the ESC because the tabs are exposed (in the case of the High Current Connector, not now with iD). You don't want the male end on the battery because of this - should something to drop on them and short the battery.

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/3070X
    Last edited by Double G; 07-24-2020 at 07:29 AM.
    The Super Derecho

I know that I am extremely late to this party! So let me add my $0.02! The Mamba X and 2400kv motor is also known as the El Sob special 2.0! That is my motor system of choice! It will run great on 3 and 4s. I have mine geared 19/54 and I am extremely happy with the performance of it. Let me include a video link of it running so you can see it for yourself
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!