Thread: Motor break in

RC Enthusiast

Question Motor break in

I STILL never got to run my brand new summit yet but I'm learning a lot about it from you helpful people on these forums. Every day I have questions and I've gotten really good advise and answers every time. Thanks again. Anyways, I've seen youtube vids on breaking in a new motor and these guys are hooking the motor up to the battery and totally submerging it in a glass of water and letting it run through a full battery. Then they spray it out with electric motor cleaner and let it dry. In some cases they hook it up to the ESC to slowly regulate the speed with the throttle trim. Is this a good way to break in a brand new motor and also clean it every so often?

Im gonna be honest with you. I dont think thats the smartest choice. I have also seen people do it and they swear by it too. But for me, just driving the truck around somewhat easy, and getting use to it was plenty to break it in. These little motors dont have a whole lot to them. So to break them in, TO ME, doesn't make sense. But id love to see what other people have to say about this matter.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Yea it seems like a risky thing to do as right in the manual it does say "Motor Precautions
    • Titan motor life can be greatly reduced in mud and water. If the
    motor gets excessively wet or submerged, use very light throttle (run
    the motor slowly) until the excess water can run out. Applying full
    throttle to a motor full of water can cause rapid motor failure. Your
    driving habits will determine motor life with a wet motor. Do not
    submerge the motor under water." I would hate to burn it out on the first run by doing it haha I'm interested to see what other people say too. Hopefully this thread gets a few more hits. Thanks for the feedback

RC Racer
    I've used the wet break in method numerous times on my 540 motors, always with distilled water. Low speed, (use the throttle trim) no reverse for about 3-5 minutes. Blow it out with air, oil the bushings and slap it in a rig. I believe the thinking behind this is to prevent any glazing while seating the brushes to the commutator.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Yea right on. Interesting. If I decide to go with this method, I think I'll spray motor cleaner all through it afterwards to help evaporate any water that gets trapped in there.Then blow it out with air. And of course oil the bushings.

Quote Originally Posted by HEAVY_METAL View Post
    Yea right on. Interesting. If I decide to go with this method, I think I'll spray motor cleaner all through it afterwards to help evaporate any water that gets trapped in there.Then blow it out with air. And of course oil the bushings.
    You should be fine. Like i said so many people swear by it. And the previous fella does it, so I mean it shouldn't hurt it. Just be careful! Cause if it burns out, i'm not sure if Traxxas will go good for it.

RC Enthusiast
    Yea for sure! hah

The water break in method was used to quickly break in the motor brushes. Years ago when brushes were replaced the needed to be cut (or seated) to the armature. They had a flat end instead of a curved one to match where they made contact to the armature. Today's brushed motors already have a curve in their brushes so the needed "break-in" happens very quickly. The aggressive cutting action of a water break-in really isn't needed.

RC Enthusiast
    Excellent info!

So thats what the water does. Thats fascinating. Thanks for that