Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Nitro slash?

  1. #1
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    12

    Nitro slash?

    So from what I can see it looks like a nitro slash it doesn't have the newest receiver but not too old either. Is it worth getting cleaned out and running? Long story short got it free with a new clear body from a dump. Thanks

    Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    737
    That is the newer model Slayer, the older ones were a silver chassis (shorter wheelbase and narrower track). Nitro Slash have the exhaust coming out the left side not the back. They do not have the inboard shocks either.

    Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    737
    Pull the wheels, you will find 14mm hexes.

    Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Marshal Double G's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,184
    If you got it for free, then YES it is worth it to clean up and get running. Or box it up and ship it to me.


    FYI: Moved from Nitro Slash subforum.
    The Super Derecho

  5. #5
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by dgechrgr469 View Post
    That is the newer model Slayer, the older ones were a silver chassis (shorter wheelbase and narrower track). Nitro Slash have the exhaust coming out the left side not the back. They do not have the inboard shocks either.

    Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
    Perfect thanks for the info my little rc experience is with the older t maxx and my maxx I bought but we saw this being thrown out and had to grab it.

    Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    737
    Quote Originally Posted by aaront96 View Post
    Perfect thanks for the info my little rc experience is with the older t maxx and my maxx I bought but we saw this being thrown out and had to grab it.

    Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    No problem, i know the Slayers pretty well. I have one i bought new and two used that i converted to electric.

    Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by dgechrgr469 View Post
    No problem, i know the Slayers pretty well. I have one i bought new and two used that i converted to electric.

    Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
    Seems to be in decent shape, how do you change the batteries for the receiver? Does the whole receiver housing have to come off?

    Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    737
    Quite a good score, chassis and body look like very little use and clean plus the spare clear body. Looks like all you need is a starter wand and transmitter and probably receiver batteries.

    Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by dgechrgr469 View Post
    Quite a good score, chassis and body look like very little use and clean plus the spare clear body. Looks like all you need is a starter wand and transmitter and probably receiver batteries.

    Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
    It actually had an ez start with a battery too lol but I already had a few anyway

    Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    737
    Best thing would be look up the model on Traxxas support and print off the directions/owners manual for it. But to answer your question there is a cover on the bottom with 2 or 3 screws that will access the battery holder. It holds 4 AA's I believe. They make a optional rechargeable pack also.

    Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by dgechrgr469 View Post
    Best thing would be look up the model on Traxxas support and print off the directions/owners manual for it. But to answer your question there is a cover on the bottom with 2 or 3 screws that will access the battery holder. It holds 4 AA's I believe. They make a optional rechargeable pack also.

    Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
    Ah ok perfect will do. I'm taking it to ny lhs today to have everything cleaned out because they left fuel sitting then I'll go from there it seems like it just needs cleaning and some batteries and I'll be good to go. I tried using rechargeable packs on my tmaxx and don't really like them nice option just not for me. I love my maxx and we haven't decided whether to keep or sell this yet

    Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    737
    One of the screws that holds the receiver cover on goes through the side nerf bar. It's been a while since i messed with mine.

    Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    RC Champion grizzly03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Posts
    2,116
    Quote Originally Posted by aaront96 View Post
    ...I love my maxx and we haven't decided whether to keep or sell this yet
    If you wanted, you could also convert it to a Revo. I've done it before and it wouldn't take much.

  14. #14
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    737
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    If you wanted, you could also convert it to a Revo. I've done it before and it wouldn't take much.
    All the A arms, steering rods, rear toe rods and front/rear axles. I converted a Revo to a Slayer.

    Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    If you wanted, you could also convert it to a Revo. I've done it before and it wouldn't take much.
    Yeah i won't be doing that. I personally think nitro trucks are too much work but I might give this a chance as something different. I already have a maxx a 2.5 tmaxx and 3.3 tmaxx so not much point in converting to a revo but thanks for the idea

    Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

  16. #16
    RC Champion grizzly03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Posts
    2,116
    Quote Originally Posted by dgechrgr469 View Post
    All the A arms, steering rods, rear toe rods and front/rear axles. I converted a Revo to a Slayer.
    FWIW You could of cut the Revo axles down instead of getting new. Would have saved you a few $.

    Quote Originally Posted by aaront96 View Post
    Yeah i won't be doing that. I personally think nitro trucks are too much work but I might give this a chance as something different. I already have a maxx a 2.5 tmaxx and 3.3 tmaxx so not much point in converting to a revo but thanks for the idea
    They are more maintenance but there is something about that engine sound the electrics don't have. When I switched from the T-maxx platform to the Revo/Slayer platform it was night and day difference in handling and the adjustability of the suspension. It was just an idea as the slayer size never really worked well for me in the grass.

  17. #17
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    737
    I could have if they weren't already twisted at the splines.

    Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

  18. #18
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    FWIW You could of cut the Revo axles down instead of getting new. Would have saved you a few $.

    They are more maintenance but there is something about that engine sound the electrics don't have. When I switched from the T-maxx platform to the Revo/Slayer platform it was night and day difference in handling and the adjustability of the suspension. It was just an idea as the slayer size never really worked well for me in the grass.
    Yeah i don't go on grass too much mostly dirt and I do have a few rc tracks near me I haven't gone to because of closures but maybe I'll try it out now that they're open again

    Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

  19. #19
    RC Champion grizzly03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Posts
    2,116
    Quote Originally Posted by dgechrgr469 View Post
    I could have if they weren't already twisted at the splines.
    That would do it, LoL.

    Quote Originally Posted by aaront96 View Post
    Yeah i don't go on grass too much mostly dirt and I do have a few rc tracks near me I haven't gone to because of closures but maybe I'll try it out now that they're open again
    It was free. Wouldn't hurt to give it a try before deciding what to do with it.

  20. #20
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    FWIW You could of cut the Revo axles down instead of getting new. Would have saved you a few $.

    They are more maintenance but there is something about that engine sound the electrics don't have. When I switched from the T-maxx platform to the Revo/Slayer platform it was night and day difference in handling and the adjustability of the suspension. It was just an idea as the slayer size never really worked well for me in the grass.
    Yeah i like the sound but at the same time the fuel is expensive and electric is faster generally plus I just buy a couple batteries and can run for a long time

    Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •