RC poster

Question Receiver antenna setup

I bought another older 2218 receiver to bring an old Tamiya street rc car back to life, and now I'm unsure how to set up the antenna.

The manual says the following:
    Extend the antenna wire in the model as far as possible for maximum range. It is not necessary to extend the antenna wire out of the body, but wrapping or coiling the antenna wire should be avoided.

Does this mean that it doesn't matter if the antenna is all horizontal inside the model, as long as it's not coiled/wrapped up? The antenna wire is about 25cm long and I could place it all horizontal inside in a straight line.

If not, and a part of it has to be vertical, how much of the antenna should be vertical? I read that because of the 2.4Ghz frequency, about 6.25cm of antenna wire are necessary for receiving a proper signal from the transmitter. Does this mean that 6.25cm should be vertical, and the rest can be horizontal? In my Stampede 4x4, the antenna of my 2218 receiver is about 13cm vertical (pretty much double of the 6.25cm), and the rest of the antenna wire is used to go inside the receiver box.
    Last edited by modderfreak; 07-22-2020 at 04:30 AM.
    Best regards, Niki

I run the antenna through the blue tube and top it with the black cap. The tube is just long enough so that it is just below the installed body and the rest of the antenna is wound inside the receiver box. The important part is the metal tube and tip which the latter is a set length. The issues I've ran into with range or disconnecting is when the metal tube is bent or the antenna tip is ripped off.
    The Super Derecho

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by modderfreak View Post
    I bought another older 2218 receiver to bring an old Tamiya street rc car back to life, and now I'm unsure how to set up the antenna.

The manual says the following:
    Extend the antenna wire in the model as far as possible for maximum range. It is not necessary to extend the antenna wire out of the body, but wrapping or coiling the antenna wire should be avoided.

Does this mean that it doesn't matter if the antenna is all horizontal inside the model, as long as it's not coiled/wrapped up? The antenna wire is about 25cm long and I could place it all horizontal inside in a straight line.

If not, and a part of it has to be vertical, how much of the antenna should be vertical? I read that because of the 2.4Ghz frequency, about 6.25cm of antenna wire are necessary for receiving a proper signal from the transmitter. Does this mean that 6.25cm should be vertical, and the rest can be horizontal? In my Stampede 4x4, the antenna of my 2218 receiver is about 13cm vertical (pretty much double of the 6.25cm), and the rest of the antenna wire is used to go inside the receiver box.
    I install a longer antenna tube with no problems, you can put the antenna horizontal, but, as Double G says, beware with the metal tube and the antenna tip.