RC Racer

TRX6 transmission ticking

Any body else get a ticking sound after they do some high speed runs in their trx4/trx6?
    I know these machines are crawlers but I like to push the speed boundaries of my TRX6 every once in a while. The ticking sound is not permanent, it comes and goes. Sometimes the ticking is very audible and sometimes you can barely hear it. It is not consistent at all.
    I've taken apart the transmission many times and could not find any dirt, binding, or cracked gears. It does not bother me as much as it used too but I still can't help but wonder what's causing it.

RC Champion
    Hi mate, check the wheels hubs and transmission axles, maybe the "click" you hear come from there.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    Hi mate, check the wheels hubs and transmission axles, maybe the "click" you hear come from there.
    oh sorry i forgot to add, the ticking is more audible on high gear and doesn't really do it in low gear.
    Also, disconnected the front and rear driveshafts and can still hear the clicking

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Unstudded_6.0 View Post
    oh sorry i forgot to add, the ticking is more audible on high gear and doesn't really do it in low gear.
    Also, disconnected the front and rear driveshafts and can still hear the clicking
    Check the differentials and maybe put a little of grease on this gearbox.

Yeah, happens to mine too, its not there in low gear but in second, it somewhat clicks, and audibly clicks in second gear reverse for me. It's nothing much, and I haven't found a way to fix it. I use an Hobbywing Axe system, it pushed around 20mph full throttle.

I've taken the transmission out and inspected the gears but everything is normal, you'll get used to it and forget about it.

Mabye it has something to do with the second axle putting some strain on the transmission?
    Jumping: maneuver and pray it won't break.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by TITANIUM94010 View Post
    Yeah, happens to mine too, its not there in low gear but in second, it somewhat clicks, and audibly clicks in second gear reverse for me. It's nothing much, and I haven't found a way to fix it. I use an Hobbywing Axe system, it pushed around 20mph full throttle.

I've taken the transmission out and inspected the gears but everything is normal, you'll get used to it and forget about it.

Mabye it has something to do with the second axle putting some strain on the transmission?
    your symptoms are like mine as well and I also have the axe 550 system. I opened every axle, portal, and transmission yesterday and found nothing wrong. Re-greased everything and the ticking was gone but after a few high speed runs, it's back lol. Not as loud as before but it's there. I guess this is the new norm, oh well. I can live with that. And as long as I keep the esc fan running i can barely hear it anyways haha.

RC Racer
    its the intermediate axle check your bearing races if they spin they ruin the alignment

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by chris5100 View Post
    its the intermediate axle check your bearing races if they spin they ruin the alignment
    I've disconnected all the drive shafts, let the car run while upside down and it's still ticking, took the transmission out, spun it by hand, still ticking. So it's the transmission. I've learned to live with the tick after disassembling the tranny at least 5 times and cant find anything wrong.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    play with the shifter my original transmission made goofy sounds because sand got in the shifter ruining all the clearances. the rc lions metal transmission is a good upgrade though removes the only plastic gear in the drive line thats what I put in its better super tough so far running an axe motor cranked all the way up I have broke 3 portal gears and 2 axle shafts ripped the tie rod off the right side portal. I have gave my trx6 a hard life playing on cliffs

RC poster
    Pusat Komponen Mesin Industri di Indonesia
    Is there a problem with the gearbox?

RC poster
    Hey Guys, I have this same issue. I was looking this up yesterday evening and I found a video about making a modification to the transmission that resolved the problem. I hate having to make mods to things that are supposed to work properly out of the box but maybe this will work? It would be great if we could figure out and post a source for these shims for purchase here on this forum. I would probably be willing to take this job on if I could find a source for known good shims.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H81sz5CMeHU

So the clicking problem came back to my TRX6 a few weeks ago. It went from a slight tick to being extremely loud and annoying
    Before this, there was ticking, but a transmission reassembly fixed it for a little bit, until it came back worse.
    I tried the shimming method, no luck at all. I played around with where to put the shims, no luck either. I took apart and reassembled my transmission about 10 times with no luck.

I saw a post from the forums saying someone found a little piece of metal in the gears, so I went on the lookout for that. Didnt find anything, but I completely disassembled the transmission and gave every single part a good clean. (brushed every gear and part and washed them). Then I followed the exact factory instructions (no extra shims) and reassembled, and the ticking was completely gone. Its been almost a month now, and even after heavy use, there isn't any ticking forwards or reverse.

I think the ticking is caused by debris inside the gears, so try giving every part of the transmission a good clean, regrease, and reassemble.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ohmygato View Post
    Hey Guys, I have this same issue. I was looking this up yesterday evening and I found a video about making a modification to the transmission that resolved the problem. I hate having to make mods to things that are supposed to work properly out of the box but maybe this will work? It would be great if we could figure out and post a source for these shims for purchase here on this forum. I would probably be willing to take this job on if I could find a source for known good shims.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H81sz5CMeHU
    Thanks for the link, mate.

RC poster
    So the clicking problem came back to my TRX6 a few weeks ago. It went from a slight tick to being extremely loud and annoying
    Before this, there was ticking, but a transmission reassembly fixed it for a little bit, until it came back worse.
    I tried the shimming method, no luck at all. I played around with where to put the shims, no luck either. I took apart and reassembled my transmission about 10 times with no luck.

I saw a post from the forums saying someone found a little piece of metal in the gears, so I went on the lookout for that. Didnt find anything, but I completely disassembled the transmission and gave every single part a good clean. (brushed every gear and part and washed them). Then I followed the exact factory instructions (no extra shims) and reassembled, and the ticking was completely gone. Its been almost a month now, and even after heavy use, there isn't any ticking forwards or reverse.

I think the ticking is caused by debris inside the gears, so try giving every part of the transmission a good clean, regrease, and reassemble.
    I love those ghost noises. It reminds me of cycling; Eventually you just rebuild it and pray.

Can you tell what shims you tried? Specs on inner/outer diameters and thickness?

I'm still using the stock Traxxas shims. I took it apart, cleaned the entire thing, and reassembled it, following these instructions: https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...Manual-WEB.pdf

I'm not adding any extra shims, I'm only using the amount the factory uses. I think it's because little pieces of debris are getting stuck between the gears causing the clicking, so cleaning thoroughly would probably work.

RC poster
    I'm still using the stock Traxxas shims. I took it apart, cleaned the entire thing, and reassembled it, following these instructions: https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...Manual-WEB.pdf

I'm not adding any extra shims, I'm only using the amount the factory uses. I think it's because little pieces of debris are getting stuck between the gears causing the clicking, so cleaning thoroughly would probably work.
    In your prior post, you said "I tried the shimming method..." I had assumed that meant you were adding extra shims. Is that incorrect, or are there some shims somewhere that I am not understanding? Sorry for the basic questions. I just want to have some kind of a game plan for when I open up the transmission.

I don't mind, ask away

I'm rebuilding the entire transmission as stock, following Traxxas' instructions exactly. I'm only using shims where the manual says to use shims. I'm not adding any extra shims.

You'll want to disassemble the transmission, and clean every gear and internal part with a toothbrush, and wipe down the insides of the transmission casing. If you're going to add new grease that isnt the stock one, I would recommend completely cleaning the gears and wiping away as much of the old grease as possible. You won't need to get rid of every bit, just try to get rid of as much grease as you can without stressing yourself out.

Then, reassemble the transmission with this instructions:https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...Manual-WEB.pdf (the transmission instructions are on the first few pages) And dont overtighten the screws that hold the transmission case, or it adds a lot of friction to the gears.

RC poster
    I don't mind, ask away

I'm rebuilding the entire transmission as stock, following Traxxas' instructions exactly. I'm only using shims where the manual says to use shims. I'm not adding any extra shims.

You'll want to disassemble the transmission, and clean every gear and internal part with a toothbrush, and wipe down the insides of the transmission casing. If you're going to add new grease that isnt the stock one, I would recommend completely cleaning the gears and wiping away as much of the old grease as possible. You won't need to get rid of every bit, just try to get rid of as much grease as you can without stressing yourself out.

Then, reassemble the transmission with this instructions:https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...Manual-WEB.pdf (the transmission instructions are on the first few pages) And dont overtighten the screws that hold the transmission case, or it adds a lot of friction to the gears.
    Okay got it. So just to confirm, the shims you're using are the ones that are in the transmission already, correct? Meaning that there is no need to buy new ones, correct?

Yep, stock shims.