RC Racer

Absolute must upgrades

Getting a UDR once they are in stock again. IM trying to compile a list for future upgrades.
    What are the absolute must upgrades for these beasts?
    Also, can you tell me upgrades needed for more durability and longevity?
    I know it's not a basher and I'll be driving it like scale (I'll try) lol

I've never had any upgrades on mines, and it is holding up very well (with the exceptions of s few dings and scratches on the body). One thing you definitely have to do for better handling is replacing the rear spool with a differential. That way, the rear axles won't bind and cause the car to flip at high speeds. I would also change the servo (struggles a bit to turn on rough asphalt). Others have had broken the front bumper (I haven't yet, but you could upgrade to the RPM front bumper). The rear trailing arms are also a weak spot, but it should be fine if you don't blast it.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Unstudded_6.0 View Post
    Getting a UDR once they are in stock again. IM trying to compile a list for future upgrades.
    If youíre going to drive like scale it will have to be on training mode (15+ mph). This truck runs best (when it comes to scale) at 15 mph. Doubling the mph doubles the physics and what was a perfectly performing suspension system now bottoms out and throws your UDR in the air tumbling
    Iím an experienced 1/10th scale off road club racer from the past and I know how to drive and a geek who knows the science and I feel you will be frustrated rolling your truck back over all the time. Thatís what I did in my first session l. By the third session I said ďscrew this insanityĒ and slowed her down
    Now she looks like a trophy truck. Still does power slides. But without the barrel rolling (new tires catching edge)
    Learn how to drive your rig first and upgrade parts when needed. You may not like this truck and youíll regret spending all that money
    And after every run, take the body and tires off and check every fastener. Iím sure youíre going 6S and that will beat up your truck. Iím 4S and happy. Your UDR lasts longer on 4S. At 30+ mph you hurt your UDR. At 50+ you kill it. I need to find the YouTube video when a UDR owner goes on a ďfrustration runĒ (he gives up trying to control his UDR and ends up destroying it) and earns the reward of the ďMost Destroyed UDRĒ. You and I canít afford to do THAT kind of bashing. ďRun it till you break itĒ. I donít think so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    I've never had any upgrades on mines, and it is holding up very well (with the exceptions of s few dings and scratches on the body). One thing you definitely have to do for better handling is replacing the rear spool with a differential. That way, the rear axles won't bind and cause the car to flip at high speeds. I would also change the servo (struggles a bit to turn on rough asphalt). Others have had broken the front bumper (I haven't yet, but you could upgrade to the RPM front bumper). The rear trailing arms are also a weak spot, but it should be fine if you don't blast it.
    I appreciate the input! I saw the fully assembled diff with the plastic diff cup, would that be enough or will it melt the plastic? or should I go with all metal?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by dbestfromclovis View Post
    If you’re going to drive like scale it will have to be on training mode (15+ mph). This truck runs best (when it comes to scale) at 15 mph. Doubling the mph doubles the physics and what was a perfectly performing suspension system now bottoms out and throws your UDR in the air tumbling
    I’m an experienced 1/10th scale off road club racer from the past and I know how to drive and a geek who knows the science and I feel you will be frustrated rolling your truck back over all the time. That’s what I did in my first session l. By the third session I said “screw this insanity” and slowed her down
    Now she looks like a trophy truck. Still does power slides. But without the barrel rolling (new tires catching edge)
    Learn how to drive your rig first and upgrade parts when needed. You may not like this truck and you’ll regret spending all that money
    And after every run, take the body and tires off and check every fastener. I’m sure you’re going 6S and that will beat up your truck. I’m 4S and happy. Your UDR lasts longer on 4S. At 30+ mph you hurt your UDR. At 50+ you kill it. I need to find the YouTube video when a UDR owner goes on a “frustration run” (he gives up trying to control his UDR and ends up destroying it) and earns the reward of the “Most Destroyed UDR”. You and I can’t afford to do THAT kind of bashing. “Run it till you break it”. I don’t think so

Nice tips man! Yea i'm thinking of going 4s first. I'll get familiar with the driving style when I get better, maybe I'll go 6s! lol I've seen the truck in person a while ago and the scale details is way too awesome that I don't wanna ruin it. It will be a part-time shelf queen for sure. 30mph is plenty of speed for me. I've never been a basher, I like some speed runs every once in a while but that's about it.

RC Competitor
    Nice tips man! Yea i'm thinking of going 4s first. I'll get familiar with the driving style when I get better, maybe I'll go 6s! lol I've seen the truck in person a while ago and the scale details is way too awesome that I don't wanna ruin it. It will be a part-time shelf queen for sure. 30mph is plenty of speed for me. I've never been a basher, I like some speed runs every once in a while but that's about it.
    Perfect. One step at a time. One INEXPENSIVE step

RC Racer
    Perfect. One step at a time. One INEXPENSIVE step

did your UDR come with led lights from the factory? or do you have to purchase them separately?

RC Competitor
    did your UDR come with led lights from the factory? or do you have to purchase them separately?
    I installed them. If you have a Rigid Edition you must have lights

RC Racer
    I installed them. If you have a Rigid Edition you must have lights

i spoke with a traxxes customer service after posting my question, and he said all UDR's come installed with lights now! and the one without lights is 100 dollars less.

Yep, they do come with lights now. (I think they started doing that Nov. or Dec. of 2019)
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Competitor
    Yeah. But itís more fun installing your own. AND you get to know your UDR better. Wait till you have to get to the back screws holding down the cover that represents the driver and co driver figures. Fun! And you will eventually have to access that area. And you will know exactly where that button on the amplifier that controls the lights is when you reach down the driverís side front fender. I bet owners of the latest UDRs struggle at first looking for it

RC Racer
    Yeah. But it’s more fun installing your own. AND you get to know your UDR better. Wait till you have to get to the back screws holding down the cover that represents the driver and co driver figures. Fun! And you will eventually have to access that area. And you will know exactly where that button on the amplifier that controls the lights is when you reach down the driver’s side front fender. I bet owners of the latest UDRs struggle at first looking for it

I agree, I like tinkering on my real vehicles and also RC's...LHS doesn't have any in stock and I don't believe they ordered UDRs without lights.
    I said "F" it and just placed the order for a Rigid UDR, love the color red, and it'll be here Tuesday next week

RC Competitor
    I agree, I like tinkering on my real vehicles and also RC's...LHS doesn't have any in stock and I don't believe they ordered UDRs without lights.
    I said "F" it and just placed the order for a Rigid UDR, love the color red, and it'll be here Tuesday next week
    I bought my Rigid Edition because there were no Fox Racing Editions at the time. I wanted the Fox Edition because my future custom paint job (by Zegers RC Graffixx) was orange and I really wanted the Fox Edition
    Now that my UDR has the custom paint job Iím left with 6 red Methods

RC Racer
    I bought my Rigid Edition because there were no Fox Racing Editions at the time. I wanted the Fox Edition because my future custom paint job (by Zegers RC Graffixx) was orange and I really wanted the Fox Edition
    Now that my UDR has the custom paint job I’m left with 6 red Methods

dude that UDR looks sick!! and how did you install the rear wing, and where did you get it? that's a nice little detail i might just follow! haha
    future plan for my UDR body is paint it black and white like a police car. I will also have some red and blue strobes installed.
    It'll be a police trophy truck and it's main mission is to patrol the desert and look for shenanigans lol

On a side note, this gives me the idea to paint my TRX6 red and turn it into a search and rescue vehicle!

RC Competitor
    It was a generic rear wing from a company called LAFEINA. I got it from Amazon. I bolted it on the side number plates from the Fox Racing Edition UDR using Traxxas 3mm screws and 3mm nuts from my spare parts bin. I had to trim it a lot to clear the fire extinguishers and shock reservoirs and the arms of the rear sway bar

RC Racer
    It was a generic rear wing from a company called LAFEINA. I got it from Amazon. I bolted it on the side number plates from the Fox Racing Edition UDR using Traxxas 3mm screws and 3mm nuts from my spare parts bin. I had to trim it a lot to clear the fire extinguishers and shock reservoirs and the arms of the rear sway bar

thank you! I guess i will have to figure out a way to mount mine. I ordered the Rigid body style and it does not have that fairing like the Fox edition has lol

RC Competitor
    thank you! I guess i will have to figure out a way to mount mine. I ordered the Rigid body style and it does not have that fairing like the Fox edition has lol
    Traxxas part number 8519 for the side number plates from eBay

RC Competitor
    Traxxas part number 8519 for the side number plates from eBay

RC Competitor

The wing is a little narrower than the distance between number plates. I think it helps to stiffen the whole assembly

RC Competitor
    The wing is a little narrower than the distance between number plates. I think it helps to stiffen the whole assembly

Iíve also added side mirrors and rear flaps

RC Racer
    Iíve also added side mirrors and rear flaps

duuuude this is perfect! thank you! thank you for all the info!!

RC Competitor
    duuuude this is perfect! thank you! thank you for all the info!!

Have fun and be creative. And stay healthy

RC poster
    I would suggest upgrade to metal hexes. The plastic ones can get stripped very easily and the are a pain to take off. Everything else is just wait till it breaks then upgrade. Plan on a new servo. It will most likely fail at some point.

RC Racer
    Have fun and be creative. And stay healthy

Thank you, you as well!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Roondog View Post
    I would suggest upgrade to metal hexes. The plastic ones can get stripped very easily and the are a pain to take off. Everything else is just wait till it breaks then upgrade. Plan on a new servo. It will most likely fail at some point.
    alright, thanks! metal hexes are on the list! i have a 400oz traxxas servo on standby

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Roondog View Post
    The plastic ones do look like a pain to remove
    Iíll wait till I have to (I have a set in my spare parts box). Iím waiting and running minimally till everything settles down. So it can wait. Itíll take a while because I run 4S @ 15mph (training mode). Runs more realistically that way and thereís no one around to show it off and break it. Although I can fix - I donít wanna break!
    Besides through those Method wheels you can barely see the detail of the calibers and rotors

RC Racer
    ordered my metal hexes! went with Hot Racing hexes with rotors. Also ordered RPM trailing arms.
    The rest of the upgrades will be done when they break. Hoping UDR will not break often as I am only planning it to run on 4s when I can find some. My UDR will sit on the shelf for a few days until I can purchase batteries. This will give me time to work on changing the chassis on my TRX6.