Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5

    Rustler 4x4 VXL driveshafts upgrade options

    Hi All, New guy here.
    looking at upgrading the driveshafts on my Rusty and although i havent broke them ((yet) even on 3s), many have said they are a weak point.
    Although im sure the Traxxas CVD are good, they are a bit pricey.
    I usually run it over parks and open grass areas and I dont get 4 wheels of the ground, so i dont need something that will need to withstand "Kevin Talbot levels of abuse", just something that i can have a bit more confidence with.
    Any advice/experience on these Fastrax shafts or these GMP shafts
    Cheerz in advance

  2. #2
    RC Racer GTSDart340's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by Morbidal View Post
    Hi All, New guy here.
    looking at upgrading the driveshafts on my Rusty and although i havent broke them ((yet) even on 3s), many have said they are a weak point.
    Although im sure the Traxxas CVD are good, they are a bit pricey.
    I usually run it over parks and open grass areas and I dont get 4 wheels of the ground, so i dont need something that will need to withstand "Kevin Talbot levels of abuse", just something that i can have a bit more confidence with.
    Any advice/experience on these Fastrax shafts or these GMP shafts
    Cheerz in advance
    I have a set of the GPM axles. They work fine, but they aren't the best. The only real issue I had was trying to get the bearing off. The set screw for the wheel hex had nicked the axle, so the stub wouldn't pull through the bearing. They've lasted well though, I'm not particularly nice to my truck and they're holding up.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Hailey, ID
    Posts
    21
    I have Tekno M6 axles all around with the 17mm hex conversion on 2 of my Slashes and on my Rusty 4 x 4. They are all 4s capable and I have never broken one axle on any rig! I vote for Tekno! Lots more tire options with 17mm wheels.

  4. #4
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Livermore, CA
    Posts
    805
    Tekno m6 for fast on and off road driving set up, mip x duty for hard jumps and landings. Don’t forget to upgrade the diff gears to 6882x and heavier fluids if you have the budget.
    Last edited by TwoBelugas; 07-24-2020 at 04:01 AM.

  5. #5
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5
    Cheerz for the input guys. i think i am going to bite the bullet and just get the traxxas ones. we know that old addage "buy cheap, buy twice" i just hope that "buy expensive, buy once" is is just as applicable

  6. #6
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Livermore, CA
    Posts
    805
    Quote Originally Posted by Morbidal View Post
    Cheerz for the input guys. i think i am going to bite the bullet and just get the traxxas ones. we know that old addage "buy cheap, buy twice" i just hope that "buy expensive, buy once" is is just as applicable
    If you had your mind set on the traxxas ones why did you even bother asking? No one in the thread recommended the traxxas cvds.

  7. #7
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    92
    I just broke a front axle after mounting trencher 2.8 tires running 45wt oil in the shocks on 3s. I think Iíll try the Tekno all around although I donít need all the extra plastic parts that come in the kit. I wish they sold just the axles to keep the cost down.
    Slash 4X4 Ultimate LCG,
    Telemetry, ESC Cooler

  8. #8
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by bansheerider View Post
    I just broke a front axle after mounting trencher 2.8 tires running 45wt oil in the shocks on 3s. I think I’ll try the Tekno all around although I don’t need all the extra plastic parts that come in the kit. I wish they sold just the axles to keep the cost down.
    Don't feel too bad, I made it about 2 min into my first run with Traxxas CVD shafts in the front before one of them broke. (Also running 3S and 2.8 Trenchers) The stub axle broke right where the threads start. For the record though, they haven't broke since and I have dozens of packs through the car since.

    I have MIP X-duty shafts in the rear. Never had any problems with them.

  9. #9
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    92

    Angry

    Quote Originally Posted by cgrant26 View Post
    Don't feel too bad, I made it about 2 min into my first run with Traxxas CVD shafts in the front before one of them broke. (Also running 3S and 2.8 Trenchers) The stub axle broke right where the threads start. For the record though, they haven't broke since and I have dozens of packs through the car since.

    I have MIP X-duty shafts in the rear. Never had any problems with them.
    Well I might have to think of other options. Iím running RPM a-arms and it clearly says on the Tekno website their driveshafts are not compatible with RPM arms
    Slash 4X4 Ultimate LCG,
    Telemetry, ESC Cooler

  10. #10
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by bansheerider View Post
    Well I might have to think of other options. Iím running RPM a-arms and it clearly says on the Tekno website their driveshafts are not compatible with RPM arms
    I like the MIP stuff but it is more expensive. Honestly, the Traxxas CVDs are quite good. My issue was just dumb luck or maybe a defective stub axle. (Traxxas sent me another one free of charge) The performance I've gotten out of them since that initial hiccup has been perfect.

    My Rustler is also pretty heavily modified chassis wise; I'm running RPM arms, RPM endlinks, RPM Bumper, RPM Slash wheelie bar conversion, Traxxas aluminum rear axle carriers, steering blocks and arms, Traxxas GTR shocks, Traxxas swaybar kit, VG Racing springs and chassis brace, King Headz aluminum motor mount, STRC bell crank, Savox SW1211SG servo, the 2.8 Trenchers and a bunch of additional ESC and motor cooling.

  11. #11
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Livermore, CA
    Posts
    805
    Quote Originally Posted by bansheerider View Post
    Well I might have to think of other options. Iím running RPM a-arms and it clearly says on the Tekno website their driveshafts are not compatible with RPM arms

    The stock rustler 4x4 arms are very good units, they flex more than the older style ones but not as much as the rpm ones.

    Stock arms with tekno m6 should be a very, very durable set up.

  12. #12
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Livermore, CA
    Posts
    805
    Quote Originally Posted by cgrant26 View Post
    I like the MIP stuff but it is more expensive. Honestly, the Traxxas CVDs are quite good. My issue was just dumb luck or maybe a defective stub axle. (Traxxas sent me another one free of charge) The performance I've gotten out of them since that initial hiccup has been perfect.

    My Rustler is also pretty heavily modified chassis wise; I'm running RPM arms, RPM endlinks, RPM Bumper, RPM Slash wheelie bar conversion, Traxxas aluminum rear axle carriers, steering blocks and arms, Traxxas GTR shocks, Traxxas swaybar kit, VG Racing springs and chassis brace, King Headz aluminum motor mount, STRC bell crank, Savox SW1211SG servo, the 2.8 Trenchers and a bunch of additional ESC and motor cooling.
    I just don’t think the traxxas cvds were designed with 3s and mt tires in mind. They are more for slash 4x4 type use.

    The xo-1 Drive shafts and aluminum bearing carriers are probably the strongest traxxas offerings you can use on the Sl4sh/Rustl4r/P4de cars with their 6mm stub axles. But the shaft design will probably have twisting issues with high power and heavy tires with how I see people bash theirs.

  13. #13
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    8
    I have about 5 packs (2s and 3s) on my MIP rear CVDs. They are nice, but expensive.

  14. #14
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by bansheerider View Post
    I just broke a front axle after mounting trencher 2.8 tires running 45wt oil in the shocks on 3s. I think Iíll try the Tekno all around although I donít need all the extra plastic parts that come in the kit. I wish they sold just the axles to keep the cost down.
    You need the plastic parts due to the bearing change. The steering blocks use a different bearing. The stock bearings wont work with this kit. I just put the fronts on Saturday. Have the rears coming tomorrow. I'm a little bummed I wont be able to use my upgraded TRX aluminum parts with these axle kits. Im almost wishing I went with the MIP kits.

  15. #15
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    68
    I run the Traxxas cvd shafts and have had no problems. It would be even better to do the XO-1 modification. Also Traxxas brand steering parts as well.

  16. #16
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    470
    Quote Originally Posted by FX331 View Post
    You need the plastic parts due to the bearing change. The steering blocks use a different bearing. The stock bearings wont work with this kit. I just put the fronts on Saturday. Have the rears coming tomorrow. I'm a little bummed I wont be able to use my upgraded TRX aluminum parts with these axle kits. Im almost wishing I went with the MIP kits.
    You can use the XO-1 front alloy steering knuckles with the Tekno shafts.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •