Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    12

    Auto power off/beeper to reminder to turn off remote

    Hello, I have a problem

    1 of 5 uses of my remote, I forgot to turn it off
    At the beginning I was using alkalines batteries and it was costly
    Now I'm using rechargeable batteries, but it's not good at all to discharge them that low (charger doesn't recognize them after a week of discharge...)
    This can be prevented by:
    - a big RED led on TOP of the remote, like my TACTIC or my HPI (bright red on the side)
    - a beeper after XX minutes without using the remote like my Spektrum DX5)
    Unfortunately, none of this for the TQI
    I'm not very excited to open, drill and put a bright red led on top of the TQI.

    How do you do ? (for those of you who are distracted)

    thanks !

    I thought also of a device that would beep when it doesn't move after xx minutes but not found anything
    Last edited by Double G; 07-23-2020 at 02:19 PM. Reason: merge

  2. #2
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Canary Islands, Tenerife, Spain.
    Posts
    1,327
    The TQi TX has a green LED for status, when you turn on, it lights and when you turn off, it turns off the LED.

  3. #3
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    84
    My transmitter for racing quads actually starts talking to me if I leave it on and it gets no input... The problem is I am already out of the room

  4. #4
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    12
    Hello, no other tips ? :-)
    Thanks !

  5. #5
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Canary Islands, Tenerife, Spain.
    Posts
    1,327
    Quote Originally Posted by sjauquet View Post
    Hello, no other tips ? :-)
    Thanks !
    Thath is, I think the green led of Traxxas TX is enough

  6. #6
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    12
    For you maybe, but not for me and my kids.
    On other remotes, we can see the red bright led from a distance, so if we forget, by passing by 10 min later we can turn off.
    My spectrum makes a beep if unused for X minutes.

    Envoyé de mon SM-N960F en utilisant Tapatalk

  7. #7
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Canary Islands, Tenerife, Spain.
    Posts
    1,327
    Quote Originally Posted by sjauquet View Post
    For you maybe, but not for me and my kids.
    On other remotes, we can see the red bright led from a distance, so if we forget, by passing by 10 min later we can turn off.
    My spectrum makes a beep if unused for X minutes.

    Envoyé de mon SM-N960F en utilisant Tapatalk
    In this case, you can use a Spektrum radio stuff on your Traxxas vehicles, no problem.

  8. #8
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    129
    You've got me thinking. My kid leaves his on all the time. Let me get back with you on this.

  9. #9
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    129
    My thought would be to create a circuit and stick it in the Traxxas Link connector. The problem is sensing activity from the transmitter. There are a couple of ways to detect this, but the least intrusive is a RF sniffer. Basically lock onto the channel of the receiver and if there is no data coming through, shutdown. Obviously this would need to interface with the batteries so you would have to open it up anyways. Another option is to reverse engineer the pins for the Traxxas Link but I suspect issues will arise from data always being sent back and forth from the Rx/Tx. I could be wrong however, the data processing part may not engage if it cannot detect the traxxas link module. If not, you could piggyback off the pins for power (albeit low wattage) and figure out which other pin(s) are interfacing with Tx; if any.

    Just a quick thought. It would require a lot of effort for something Traxxas could very well incorporate into their Tx designs.

    Probably going to open up one of the receivers now and look at the guts...

  10. #10
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Canary Islands, Tenerife, Spain.
    Posts
    1,327
    Quote Originally Posted by Spechal View Post
    My thought would be to create a circuit and stick it in the Traxxas Link connector. The problem is sensing activity from the transmitter. There are a couple of ways to detect this, but the least intrusive is a RF sniffer. Basically lock onto the channel of the receiver and if there is no data coming through, shutdown. Obviously this would need to interface with the batteries so you would have to open it up anyways. Another option is to reverse engineer the pins for the Traxxas Link but I suspect issues will arise from data always being sent back and forth from the Rx/Tx. I could be wrong however, the data processing part may not engage if it cannot detect the traxxas link module. If not, you could piggyback off the pins for power (albeit low wattage) and figure out which other pin(s) are interfacing with Tx; if any.

    Just a quick thought. It would require a lot of effort for something Traxxas could very well incorporate into their Tx designs.

    Probably going to open up one of the receivers now and look at the guts...
    Post here whatever you see or made with it, would be interesting.

  11. #11
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    12
    I still think the easiest method would be a movement sensor (reed switch or mercure switch, or ...), when the remote is still for xx minutes, then beep.
    But didn't find a circuit like this, even on ali ;-)

  12. #12
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    12
    Yeah, cheap solution, I have just 8 Traxxas receivers to change and no more bluetooth
    On the other hand I use one traxxas remote for all my Traxxas cars, + 2 Trx remotes of my son's, so only 3 remotes to modify.

  13. #13
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by sjauquet View Post
    I still think the easiest method would be a movement sensor (reed switch or mercure switch, or ...), when the remote is still for xx minutes, then beep.
    But didn't find a circuit like this, even on ali ;-)
    Good thought! This could work, but I feel like a timer circuit would be needed as well because the mercury is going to jostle around with use and complete/break the circuit unintentionally.

  14. #14
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by sjauquet View Post
    Hello, I have a problem
    I thought also of a device that would beep when it doesn't move after xx minutes but not found anything
    Yes, with a timer off course, but I didn't find an all made, simple circuit, doing that.
    serchad no movment alarm et such thing on ali without success, bags alarm for example, beeps when THERE IS movement... unfortunately
    Using a 555, a beeper, reed etc all shipped separately would cost ridiculously more than a dedicated circuit.

  15. #15
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    129
    I think getting something like an ESP32 would make some sense based on cost and features. I have a ton of Ardunios and Pis and ICs and sensors, but not one of those; yet. Most development boards are too big for the link port. It doesn't have a speaker, but stealing one from a crap cell phone or toy should be small enough.

  16. #16
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    129
    I think we are over thinking this. Going back to a 555: using it, a cap, variable pot and little buzzer or LED would be a really simple circuit piggybacking off the main dry cells ... adjust the pot to the time you want to buzz after you turn on the remote. In example, set the potentiometer to make the timer go off after 45 minutes. The cost is just stupid compared to dev boards.

  17. #17
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    12
    Yeah, cost is stupid... if you have a shop nearby. Shipping all components separately... and it's not stupid anymore. ;-)

    Anyway, yes the 555 is a nice solution. If you can find a circuit that will add 5 min everytime the Reed switch is closed, you don't need to set a fixed countdown time at the beginning.

    Thanks,!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •