RC Racer

Most crazy Revo build???

I recently found out about the YS 4 stroke engines and I have been playing with the idea of putting one in a Revo 3.3. For a little bit of background YS makes a .53 4 stroke engine (8.7cc) that comes stock with mechanical fuel injection and a supercharger. The supercharger uses crank case pressure so it doesn't create much real boost, but it gives the engine insane throttle response. I was also thinking that just for the fun of it I could add 2 mini turbochargers. Once again it wouldn't provide more than about .5 psi of boost, but why not? Then due to the size/operating rpms of the engine, a cdi ignition unit wouldn't be hard to install and with that a gasoline conversion shouldn't be too hard... (In theory, never works that way)

In the end just maybe I could have a 4-stroke, fuel injected, gasoline, supercharged, twin turbo Revo 3.3.

I am concerned about a lot of things. First how am I supposed to start the car? Thanks to the crank case supercharging a pull start is out of the question. How will I fit an engine in that is over 2.5x bigger in displacement than stock into a revo? How can I get the clutch system to work and get a reasonable gearing with such low engine rpms? Finally, how can I keep the engine cool? There are many other concerns that I also have, but if it would work it would be pretty darn cool.

I'd seen a few many years ago, typically referred to as "thumpers". People would put them in a t-maxx or revo. Was cool to hear on youtube at least. Lots of smoke and ridiculous bottom end torque.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

RC Racer
    That's what I want crazy low end and a much better sounding engine.

Due to the large displacement of this engine (and the supercharger) it's somewhere around 1.5hp. For comparison the OS FS40 that most people did their thumper conversion with has a whopping .7hp. In the end this engine could give the Revo theoretically about the same top end power of a 3.3.

They were cool to watch that's for sure. A unique project that had that "wow factor".

Trying to compare the 4-stroke HP to 2-stroke HP really isn't a fair comparison. The 4-stroke has much more torque so it can be geared up considerably compared to 2-stroke. Where a 2-stroke engine needed to wind up like going from 1st gear to 2nd gear, the 4-stroke can take off in 2nd or 3rd and still get up and go.

It's going to be a lot of custom work. It might be easier to use a flat chassis like the T-maxx where you have more room to move things around. It would be a fun project either way.

RC Racer
    The flat chassis of the T-maxx would be nice, but I own a Revo and I personally like the setup more than the T-maxx. In the end it will probably come down to whatever I can find cheapest.

I'm still not sure that I am going to try doing this. I recently got the engine in a bid. I just don't know yet what I will do with the engine. I may keep it as a display model, clean it up and flip it for a small profit, make an RC plane with it, or do a crazy rc car conversion.

I primarily came here to this forum to see if you guys could help me out with some of my concerns before I jump the gun and throw myself into a crazy conversion. I want to be confident that I can make this an enjoyable RC car to drive around that wouldn't take to much more maintenance and effort that a stock revo/tmaxx to run.

I remember this one from years ago.

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...light=4-stroke
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    I actually finish reading most of that before I started this thread. I never did find how he intended to start the engine. Does anyone know?