RC poster

Xmaxx gears not turning smoothly

Hi I’m a newbie in the RC world and have an issue putting the xmaxx back together. I took it all apart to lube everything up, change diff fluid and change the servo. I put the rear back together (the spur gear, center diff, pinion and diff and it’s smooth then locks up for some reason. I tried tightening the screws evenly, ive tried to clean out between the teeth but there’s nothing in them, tried taking it apart and putting back together several times and still same result. If I leave the center diff in and pinion, it rolls freely. If I add the rear diff, hard spot. If I take the diff out and put the spur in, same thing. If I put both of them in, it’s worse. Has anyone else ran into this issue? If anyone has any ideas on what it might be, please feel free to suggest. I can’t figure it out for the life of me. Xmaxx 8s. No customization until I put the servo in.

https://youtu.be/UHWER29uejc
    Last edited by klumppy89; 07-27-2020 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Added video

Man wish I had a magic answer for you. This is one that may take some time, and some more info for us to answer.

On the diff covers. The screw in the middle is a hair shorter than the rest. I found if I put wrong screw in I get binding issues. Perhaps this is it? My only magic answer is perhaps this is it...

Are the diff bearings seated right on the diff housing?

Off chance was it like this before taking a part? Perhaps a bad bulk head?

Any hard crashes prior to disassembley?

Check your spur gear shaft. Is it warped?

Also diffs only go in on one orientation. There is a "key" on one side that will make it not move right... Don't think this is it as it just wouldn't move period... Or fit in right... But perhaps it got worn down?

Perhaps pull spur gear and shaft and rotate the rear and center diff with the drive line,. See if it binds.

If me I'd just start taking part by part out of the equation untill I found the issue...

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC poster
    I have had the same issue , turns out for me it was the cover that holds the spur gear shaft . if you tighten it to much it seems to cause a binding issue . loosen the 4 screws that hold it in place and see if your binding goes away . it might be a bit of trial and error in this area .

Something I didn't think of. Is check all your bearings more so the ones on the diff pinion. As if I read it right. You have center diff in and spur gear shaft and gears. It's all good. If the diff pinion is installed it's stiff. Then rear diff makes it even worse...

So I think this may be one of the two bearings or both on the rear diff pinion. Either bearing going out or not In Quite right.

How much run time and what terrain,. How much water? How long have you had it?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Champion
    Check all the driveline components, is very strange this spur movement.

RC Competitor
    My guess is that the spur shaft cover is too tight and that a gear or two is digging into the plastic. Try loosening until it's smooth. I would do this on all covers for the driveline to make sure it's smooth all over.