RC Racer

First run post inspection. What is this?

Took a few years away from the hobby but decided to splurge and pick up an xmaxx. So far I love this thing. Itís an amazing piece of machinery. I figure Iíll leave this one stock til I start breaking things or get comfortable enough to need hop ups. Anyways after my first two batteries I did an inspection and I noticed two very thin metal rings that were hanging around the rear driveshafts loose and beat up.

What are these and should i be worried or need repair already? I literally just ran it around some bumpy grass lol. I didnít see this part in the exploded view but I may have missed it in my haste.

Thanks.
    X-MAXX, Stampede VXL 4x4, Spartan

They are the bearing seals. Mine did the same thing with the stock bearings.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    I would pick up a bearing set if the seals are falling out. AVID is awesome for bearings. 1$ a bearing.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

They are the seals to the inner hub carrier bearings.

The pressure from landing or hard bumps will make the seals pop off. Can try to just press them back on and be good to go for a bit.

Ideal get the rpm oversized rear hub carriers. They come with a new bearings that is larger and gives like 300% more load capacity. Also must grease them as no grease in them Also get the rpm threaded hinge pins. ( Do not put on the front top carriers, as it will reduce steering)

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by dt393 View Post
    Took a few years away from the hobby but decided to splurge and pick up an xmaxx. So far I love this thing. It’s an amazing piece of machinery. I figure I’ll leave this one stock til I start breaking things or get comfortable enough to need hop ups. Anyways after my first two batteries I did an inspection and I noticed two very thin metal rings that were hanging around the rear driveshafts loose and beat up.

What are these and should i be worried or need repair already? I literally just ran it around some bumpy grass lol. I didn’t see this part in the exploded view but I may have missed it in my haste.

Thanks.
    Hi mate, congrats for your monster, this thin metal rings are the bearing seals, the stock rear bearings are not enough good, you can change it for a better ones. You can view it in the exploded views, and can download the documents in the support section of Traxxas website.

RC Racer
    ahh ok, thanks! maybe I will pick up those RPM Rear axle carriers then

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    +1 for rpm rear carriers. Must have. They don't make oversized bearing carriers for the front. Pick up spare inner bearings for the front. They take a beating, and are so thin that they wear out quickly.

The thing I broke most often, were the plastic steer links. I broke 4 in 3 summers. So they still last a long time. They are cheap and a 3 min easy fix in the field. I suggest not upgrading them, just replace with stock so cheap just order a set for backup.

I've yet to break the steering links but have broken 6 a arms. In 4 months ****ed rouge trees popping up magically.

Truck does take quite the beating.

I broke 3 ft arms in that time, only 1 was a horrible driving decision lol. They are 10$ per arm. People had issues with rpm arms, I figured it was easier and cheaper to just replace with stock.

RC Champion
    ahh ok, thanks! maybe I will pick up those RPM Rear axle carriers then
    I have the RPM ones, a must have for X-Maxx.

RC Racer
    After spending all evening fixing some problems on my St4mpede, (wow it feels tiny now) I ordered the axle Carriers and The bumper mounts. Now I’m kinda regretting not picking up the A arms and some threaded hinge pins so I have them ready just in case. I’ll look at picking up some extra parts as suggested above.

Been reading about the servo upgrade and the promodeler And down The rabbit hole I go

If you go the rpm a arm route will probably want the threaded hinge pins. As arms flex enough to pop over the pins.

Trx did come out with a beefier a arm now and in multiple colors. So are 3 options on a arm upgrades,. Trx hd, Rpm and proline.
    No idea who is best.

I never had a rpm a arm break till xmaxx. Just mailed in 2 for warranty today. No slowly started upgrading my a arm as I broke them.

In a month or two the promolder 630 servo may be back in stock. Even with the 2085x servo I'd get a aluminum horn for it. Kinda wish I knew of promodeler before I got my 2085x servo.

Oh glue / duct tape your tire holes on rims closed so water / grit doesn't get in. Perhaps make holes on outside of tires.

Fiber tape mod body while still good. And tailgate restrictor mod. Will help the body last. Mine without this lasted a month perhaps 2 with heavy bashing not landing jumps.

Happy bashing

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Look at the Traxxas HD arms as an upgrade option
    . RPM on this heavy of a truck isnít necessarily a good thing.
    You can get cool colors too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Got it out today in the park with a couple of skate ramps and noticed a few things

1) Battery Connectors - These have never felt tight and when I had any fast summersaults it would come unclipped. Are there any easy fixes for this?

2) Body coming loose - I mean this one could be user error but my body came loose a few times throughout the day on hard crashes. I was pretty sure I had both under the supports, is this a common thing? Are there any quick fixes if it is not user error?

Others then that, this is a really great truck and I am having a blast with it. I need to learn some Air Control, but that will come with time and practice.

Got it out today in the park with a couple of skate ramps and noticed a few things

1) Battery Connectors - These have never felt tight and when I had any fast summersaults it would come unclipped. Are there any easy fixes for this?

2) Body coming loose - I mean this one could be user error but my body came loose a few times throughout the day on hard crashes. I was pretty sure I had both under the supports, is this a common thing? Are there any quick fixes if it is not user error?

Others then that, this is a really great truck and I am having a blast with it. I need to learn some Air Control, but that will come with time and practice.
    1. My batteries are now starting to come loose as well. Check for any melting inside connectors. Also perhaps zip tie the ends from the esc to the top rail. This will keep them from flopping around. Other options are changing out connectors on esc and batteries... never had issues with xt90s on my erevo2

2. This common if you hit the body in just the right way. See my post about how to fix this. Since fix so far I think I've had my body pop off 3 times due to bad landings. Way better than it popping off on every hard good landing.

I would fiber tape and shoe goo body and do tailgate restrictor mod. To keep you body from lasting. Mine only last 2 to 3 months before whole back half was gone. I've since gone to a alternative unmentionable body. And been quite happy with it.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post

I would fiber tape and shoe goo body and do tailgate restrictor mod. To keep you body from lasting. Mine only last 2 to 3 months before whole back half was gone. I've since gone to a alternative unmentionable body. And been quite happy with it.

Can you elaborate as to what this is?

RC Racer
    Thanks Acidic01. I'll try to look up those mods. Also one more Noob Question with the Traxxas Link Telemetry, what exactly is the Voltage telling me? What should it be at running two 4s 6700 Batteries. It always seems to be staying near 6 no matter how long I was running.

RC Champion
    Thanks Acidic01. I'll try to look up those mods. Also one more Noob Question with the Traxxas Link Telemetry, what exactly is the Voltage telling me? What should it be at running two 4s 6700 Batteries. It always seems to be staying near 6 no matter how long I was running.
    The battery voltage per cell is 4.20 volts at peak, 3.7 volts nominal. 33.6 volts is 8S max peak voltage.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by cgrant26 View Post
    Can you elaborate as to what this is?
    For the restrition back of the X-Maxx body, I install this piece.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-Xma...72.m2749.l2648

If it is saying 6 volts then it sounds like it is measuring the voltage coming out of the BEC of the ESC.
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    For the restrition back of the X-Maxx body, I install this piece.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-Xma...72.m2749.l2648
    Can you show how that works and fits on the vehicle with the body? Its hard to tell what its doing by the Ebay link.

Is it a 3D printed version of RegularGuy's mods?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    If it is saying 6 volts then it sounds like it is measuring the voltage coming out of the BEC of the ESC.
    Yep, the default on the 8S X-Maxx telemetry is to display Receiver voltage. You have to go into the dashboard settings in Traxxas Link and change it to ESC voltage. I deleted the receiver voltage gauge and created a "Battery Voltage" gauge in it's place using ESC voltage.

Last edited by cgrant26; 07-27-2020 at 06:02 PM.

RC Racer
    Can you show how that works and fits on the vehicle with the body? Its hard to tell what its doing by the Ebay link.

Looks like it fills the space inside the "tailgate" area like how full size car bumpers have Styrofoam inside their bumper covers.

Here is the post that that talks about the tailgate restrictor mod.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Issue is that when the truck lands on the tailgate area. It presses down on it and bends the body over the shock towers. After a while the body will break. At the shock towers and putter roll cage area. . By putting a price of L or I cannel aluminum to the rear bumper it stops the body from curling under. And giving the body a bit more life span.

This does look like a 3d printed version. You can get a piece of aluminum L channel or U at home depot for 5$ for 3ft... Cut and drill some holes and your in biz. Smart of that ebayer for making something we can use for those that rather spend by make.

I tried to share a while back but got busy while trying to post. Here is my fix on the body popping off.

Not 100% fool proof. But I'm. It sure there is one. But it has been working. Of course the right kind crash at the right angle will still make the body pop off due to the body flexing in on itself. But this does make it much more secure.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

RC Racer
    Thanks Acidic01. These links will be super helpful. Now I need to create a shopping list

RC Champion

Is a 3D printed version of ReglarGuy mods, of course, I take a photo and post it here.

RC Racer
    Is a 3D printed version of ReglarGuy mods, of course, I take a photo and post it here.
    Thanks Ive been trying to understand how it works and also the U shaped bracket.

I wonder does the body edge sit within the U when the body is on the truck? This is all new to me

Yes the body sits with in the U channel when on the truck.

After I shoogoo the entire cage to the body on the inside on the roof area, the body never popped off again.

RC Champion
    Thanks Ive been trying to understand how it works and also the U shaped bracket.

I wonder does the body edge sit within the U when the body is on the truck? This is all new to me
    Here are the pics mate, as you can see, the end of the body sits on the piece screwed in the bumper.

RC Racer
    Here are the pics mate, as you can see, the end of the body sits on the piece screwed in the bumper.
    Thank Juanmachine! That was exactly what I needed to see to understand. Much Appreciated!

RC Champion
    Thank Juanmachine! That was exactly what I needed to see to understand. Much Appreciated!
    You're welcome.