RC Enthusiast

Anyone could recommend a nice pair of brushless motor and ESC?

I don't want to spend the Castle price. Which brand offers the best value for the price? I do not need a Rolex, but I want a Citizen :-)

RC Enthusiast
    I just installed a hobbywing max 10 sct combo . Glad I did . It ran well before , but now it's a whole different truck .

RC Enthusiast
    Very nice! Thanks for sharing. So it is an exact fit and there is no need to modify the chassis or anything?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Iíve run a HW SC8-WP mated to a GoolRC 3660 2600kv motor. Standing backflips are no problem. I run it on 3S and 4S. I have upgraded this truck to deal with the abuse. But 3660(550) cans are a drop in replacement. Any longer and youíre moving the esc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks, Gripdog! That motor sure has a great price.

It would be great if Everyone could share their aftermarket ESC and brushless motors here, so that readers would be certain that these motors will fit the Stampede 4x4.

Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    I’ve run a HW SC8-WP mated to a GoolRC 3660 2600kv motor. Standing backflips are no problem. I run it on 3S and 4S. I have upgraded this truck to deal with the abuse. But 3660(550) cans are a drop in replacement. Any longer and you’re moving the esc.

The max10 sct is a decent esc, but I'd go with a 3665 or 3670 motor vs the max10 sct/3660sl combo. That motor ran hot for me. The hobbystar 3665 3100kv did better and I can't recall if a 3670 would fit without modifying or not, but that's what I'd start with if I did it again.

I replaced my chassis with a slash chassis to give me more room and now I run a blx185 and 4074 2200kv motor in mine on 3S. The longer chassis makes it easier to drive and flies a lot better.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Iím just not a slash guy. I do know if you use a 3670 youíll have to move the esc, with the stampede chassis.
    That motor is dirt cheap, great for bashing. 11/50 never got hit on me on 3S. 4S it can but itís still under 150.

RC Enthusiast
    I just did some research. It seems that this is a really nice budget setup. I only plan to run 2S. If the motor will not get hot on this setup, I'll be very happy.

How long have you been using the CoolRC 3660 motor? I wonder how reliable it is, considering the price?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Iíve run a HW SC8-WP mated to a GoolRC 3660 2600kv motor. Standing backflips are no problem. I run it on 3S and 4S. I have upgraded this truck to deal with the abuse. But 3660(550) cans are a drop in replacement. Any longer and youíre moving the esc.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaw32 View Post
    I just installed a hobbywing max 10 sct combo . Glad I did . It ran well before , but now it's a whole different truck .
    I also installed the Hobbywing Ezrun MAX10 SCT Combo with the 3200kV 3660SL motor.
    The 3660 motor is longer than all the stock Traxxas brushed & brushless motors. In order for it to fit in my Stampede 4x4 VXL (bought it as a roller), I had to remove a bit of the chassis plastic. The hobbywing combo even comes with a mounting plate for the ESC that fits into the Stampede.
    Definitely worth it, it has more power than the new 4 pole Traxxas brushless combo at a lower price, and it doesn't get as hot although it's geared is a bit higher than stock to make up for the missing ~300KV of the hobbywing motor compared to the Traxxas motor.
    Best regards, Niki

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by liv4spd View Post
    Very nice! Thanks for sharing. So it is an exact fit and there is no need to modify the chassis or anything?
    Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner with a response . I did have to remove a very little bit of the esc mounting post closest to the motor . I used a Dremel tool , took my time as I didn't have to remove much . I was able to use the same post to mount the esc . I had to trim the esc mounting plate a little as well . A little time we'll spent . I also put in the Robinson racing slipper clutch and metal spur gear, Mip x-duty Axels , and 2.8 belted trenchers . Now I have a monster of a monster truck .

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for sharing!

I installed a Robinson metal spur gear but replaced it with a plastic one later one soon. The metal gears seems to be very noisy.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by liv4spd View Post
    I just did some research. It seems that this is a really nice budget setup. I only plan to run 2S. If the motor will not get hot on this setup, I'll be very happy.

How long have you been using the CoolRC 3660 motor? I wonder how reliable it is, considering the price?

Thanks!
    A couple years. Just goes to show you the mark up and margins on some brands. New companies will never make it if we donít try them. Donít buy there escís, they are trash.

RC Enthusiast
    OK. Thanks!