RC Competitor

Aluminum bulkheads and other parts

Hi, all. I'm starting to gather parts for an E-Maxx brushless build, and I'm looking for suggestions.

First up, I know I want aluminum bulkheads. Traxxas discontinued the front aluminum one, as fast as I can tell, but they still have the rear. I've found the stock parts on evilBay, but I see all types of other aluminum bulkheads, from Integy, Hot Racing, and GPM. Any suggestions on which is best?

I'm also thinking of putting the RPM True Track rear setup on, as well. Any thoughts on that setup?

As for power, I'm thinking either a Castle MM2 or VXL-6S system. Anybody have anything they like better?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I find your lack of teepee disturbing.

You forgot to mention what you wanted to use your Emaxx for. Members will be able to help you better if they know that. Keeping that in mind, I can at least suggest staying away from Integy, and can tell you that the VXL6 and MM2 are the same (at least they use to be). Between those two ESC's I'd look for the best price when making my selection.
    Life's to short to be a sour puss.

RC Competitor
    Thanks, Regular Guy. I want to make a pretty tough basher, but don't want to make it an aluminum tank. I definitely want the alloy bulkheads to protect the diffs.i just want it to be dependable and fairly fast, and extremely fun to drive.

I wouldn't be in a big hurry to replace your plastic parts with aluminum, if I were you. About the only thing I'd go to aluminum with would be your bumpers, and your two electronic tray chassis supports located underneath your electronic tray chassis...that's about it.

Using aluminum bumper mounts, bulkheads, shock towers, and skid plates will allow your future crash energy to be delivered to your electronics tray instead of being absorbed by these smaller plastic components...and that ain't good. It's a lot easier to change a bumper mount, bulkhead, shock tower, and skid plate than it is to change your electronic chassis tray. Not to say you won't ever have to change one of these smaller plastic parts, but it shouldn't be that often. And again, they're a whole lot easier/faster to change than the electronic chassis tray. Your electronic chassis tray is your "Holy Grail" here.

If you want more reliability out of your Emaxx (IMO) you would be much better served by upgrading your drive shafts, axles, shocks, repacking all your bearings, and changing out your diff's pinion bearings with bushings, rather than replacing a bunch of your smaller plastic chassis comments with aluminum ones. Someday, when you get a chance, take a look in this forum for the "How To Do" posts that I wrote for getting the most out of your Emaxx when running 6s power.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 07-28-2020 at 04:32 AM.

Use all RPM parts you can afford.
    He Who Dies With the Most Toys Wins.

RPM parts are very nice, but they are also three times the price compared to stock. Plus, to get the warranty you have to send in the broken part. That means, unless you want to be inactive while your warranty claim is being processed, you'll need to keep spares of all the RPM parts you use on your Emaxx. That's a lot of money to invest if you only have an occasional breaking of a part. Now, if you have a part that breaks chronically that's a different story; but, you shouldn't have many of them, if any.

That's why, personally, I wouldn't just blindly go out and dump a bunch of money into RPM parts unless you're the kind of guy that lights up his 200 dollar cigars with 20 dollar bills. If you're a regular guy like me, I'd wait to see if you had any chronic issues develop (due to your driving style), and go from there. Like I say, (IMO) RPM products are very nice, but you want to be smart about their usage. (IMO) you don't want to throw money around unless you have to.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 07-29-2020 at 04:15 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    On my E-Maxx 3908 I went overboard with aluminum, and the bulkheads were the threshold for me.

I went from stock bulkheads (broke) to aluminum (bent and caused a diff problem), and just today I ordered the RPM bulkheads. Sticking with the aluminum suspension mounts, skid plates, & chassis braces. The T-Bone Racing front & back chassis braces also add an extra layer of protection.

Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    You forgot to mention what you wanted to use your Emaxx for. Members will be able to help you better if they know that. Keeping that in mind, I can at least suggest staying away from Integy, and can tell you that the VXL6 and MM2 are the same (at least they use to be). Between those two ESC's I'd look for the best price when making my selection.
    I think the MXL-6S is the same as the MM2. I don't believe the vxl-6s is though.

Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx'ed View Post
    just today I ordered the RPM bulkheads.
    I wish those were around 15+ years ago when I had a maxx. Would have liked to try them to see how they did. I went through a lot of bulkheads... snapped the ears off a couple sets of integy bulkheads (with stock plastic tower!). Ran ACNCM bulks most of the time though. Only issue was, I kept burning through diffs. Pulling the bulks to replace diffs frequently was hard on the threads for the screw holes in the bulks and they eventually would strip.

Great Assembly probably made some of the best bulks for a t/e-maxx. They had a set that were 7075 and they used helicoil's for the screw holes. Pricey, but likely the last set a person would ever buy. The only issue then was if you snapped a screw off in them and was unable to get it out. The RPM front skid for the maxx was horrible for that. It would dig into the dirt like a shovel and snap the heads right off the screws.

I ran RC Solutions spring steel bumper/skids on my maxxes. Sadly another company that doesn't exist anymore, but had some really great parts.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

I think the MXL-6S is the same as the MM2. I don't believe the vxl-6s is though.
    Yep, you're right. I knew at one time Traxxas just re-branded MM2's, but wasn't sure if they still did that or not. Those MM2's and MXL's are good ESC's. I don't know about a VXL-6s, though. I've never used one.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 07-31-2020 at 04:37 AM.

Traxxas Marshal
    I'm in the "stick with plastic bulkheads" group, as well. Over the years, I have broken very few bulkheads. And even then, I'd take a broken bulkhead over a broken chassis any day. I've had great luck with RPM parts, but I've never tried their bulkheads.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the suggestions, all. I'll hold off on the aluminum bulks, and go plastic. She'll get all-metal drivetrain parts. I figure with the Trenchers I'm planning on running, I'll need them!

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Beavis View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions, all. I'll hold off on the aluminum bulks, and go plastic. She'll get all-metal drivetrain parts. I figure with the Trenchers I'm planning on running, I'll need them!

I'm running a set of the standard 3.8 trenchers on my BB revo. It's holding up pretty good so far. I'm running stock revo axles/diffs in it with RRP steel in the transmission. Just have to try and not land when on the throttle.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss