Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Motor esc combo

  1. #1
    RC Qualifier mdschmidt90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Fruit Heights, UT
    Posts
    253

    Motor esc combo

    Hi there,
    Looking for good motor esc combos, hobby wing, castle whatever is the best bang for buck sensored/not sensored I need options! What's hot these days? I have a Gen 1 Rally, Thanks!

    Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    RC Qualifier RCWilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    California Bay Area
    Posts
    790
    Both Castle and Hobbywing are great options. I would go with a sensored system if you have the budget, since it is much smoother, and does not cog at low speeds. If you want something for less, get the Castle SW4 and 1410 combo. The ESC is unsensored, but the motor is sensored, which allows you to upgrade to a sensored ESC in the future.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

  3. #3
    RC Qualifier mdschmidt90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Fruit Heights, UT
    Posts
    253
    So this combo right here?

    Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Marshal Double G's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,229
    That’s the sensored. You could get the Sidewinder 4 with that motor which is cheaper. Or the Sidewinder 8th with a 2400kv motor...which will perform much better.
    The Super Derecho

  5. #5
    RC Qualifier mdschmidt90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Fruit Heights, UT
    Posts
    253
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Thatís the sensored. You could get the Sidewinder 4 with that motor which is cheaper. Or the Sidewinder 8th with a 2400kv motor...which will perform much better.
    Ok, not to make it more confusing, you're saying sensored is better performaming overall, but on the cheaper side I could go sensorless with a bigger motor for less money? Thanks

    Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    RC Qualifier Calebs0615's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    795
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Thatís the sensored. You could get the Sidewinder 4 with that motor which is cheaper. Or the Sidewinder 8th with a 2400kv motor...which will perform much better.
    Whats the difference between sensored and unsensored? I guess what does a sensored esc do?

    Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Squeegie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    San Gabriel, California
    Posts
    8,467
    Here it is in a basic nutshell:



    Have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

  8. #8
    RC Qualifier Calebs0615's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    795
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Here it is in a basic nutshell:



    Have fun!
    Hmm.. Does it really make much of a difference?

    Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    RC Qualifier RCWilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    California Bay Area
    Posts
    790
    Depends on the application. If for racing, or rock crawling then yes, a big difference. If for bashing, and high speed driving, no, there will not be much difference.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

  10. #10
    RC Qualifier Calebs0615's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    795
    Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    Depends on the application. If for racing, or rock crawling then yes, a big difference. If for bashing, and high speed driving, no, there will not be much difference.
    Okay. I think it makes more sense for rock crawling and slow precise movements for sure.

    Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Marshal Double G's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,229
    Quote Originally Posted by mdschmidt90 View Post
    Ok, not to make it more confusing, you're saying sensored is better performaming overall, but on the cheaper side I could go sensorless with a bigger motor for less money? Thanks

    Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    Traxxas's VXL system is sensorless as well as many other common systems out there. IF you want to spend a little more money and have a smoother running motor then get the sensored. Otherwise for the non-racing, non-crawling, everyday common basher then save your pennies and go sensorless. (Or spend those pennies and get them back into circulation to help with the "nation-wide coin shortage" )
    The Super Derecho

  12. #12
    RC Qualifier mdschmidt90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Fruit Heights, UT
    Posts
    253
    Hahaha! I appreciate the input and the jokes! Thank you

    Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •